Rugby League in Popular culture

Ash Hope

12 hours ago, Ash Hope said:

I’m reliably informed by my dad who’s a music genius. Chumbawumba who sing “Iget knocked down but I get up again.” Have a B side called “Eddie Waring.” I trust his word.

I never liked rugby league, it must be said
Decapitated ears and concave heads
My interest held by just one thing
The greatest commentator ever--Eddie Waring
Whether an up-and-under or an early bath
He was always guaranteed to make me laugh
No Coleman histrionics or Benaud Twang
Just down to earth, good humored
Our man in the stand
And now it's time for the Mini Marathon
"Can I play the Joker now?"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, EggFace said:

Excellent find ...bravo.

I'd heard of it ages ago, but when Tom died, I went on Discogs and found a reasonably-priced copy to record and upload.

The B-side has no music, and is a recording of some St Helens team-mates talking about TvV.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I'd heard of it ages ago, but when Tom died, I went on Discogs and found a reasonably-priced copy to record and upload.

The B-side has no music, and is a recording of some St Helens team-mates talking about TvV.

Is the b side on YouTube ? as I'm a fan of 1950s British Calypso which pre dated Ska in this country but never gets the respect.

21 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Is the b side on YouTube ? as I'm a fan of 1950s British Calypso which pre dated Ska in this country but never gets the respect.

Check your messages. :kolobok_cool:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not with a Bang was a British television sitcom on ITV in 1990.  It ran for seven episodes, each 30 minutes long. The show was a dark sci fi comedy focusing on the end of the human race.   A chemical is accidentally released from a vial and the effect spreads almost instantly, annihilating virtually all human life on Earth, turning people into little piles of an ash-like compound, before dissipating harmlessly.

The show then follows the plight of the four human survivors – three male, one female – who survive due to various far-fetched reasons, one of them, Colin, a rugby league fanatic, was taking part in a sponsored dive for his beloved Barrow rugby league club when life ended as he knew it.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

41 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Fictional, Farsley celtic. 

Farsley Celtic were very much real. They were actually a football club, who are now Farsley Football Club after financial problems. Terry from Emmerdale “played” for the fictional Farsley Fliers. 

There's a very tiny reference in the NZ film Hunt for the Wilderpeople where someone is watching an RL game and the guy says, 'those Warriors are useless'.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

There's a very tiny reference in the NZ film Hunt for the Wilderpeople where someone is watching an RL game and the guy says, 'those Warriors are useless'.

There`s actually a reference before that as well where the hero asks that young girl " where`s your Dad " and she replies " he`s down the club watching the League " or something to that effect.

It`s when he returns and is entering the house that he says that priceless line you mention above.

2 hours ago, Exiled Townie said:

Not with a Bang was a British television sitcom on ITV in 1990.  It ran for seven episodes, each 30 minutes long. The show was a dark sci fi comedy focusing on the end of the human race.   A chemical is accidentally released from a vial and the effect spreads almost instantly, annihilating virtually all human life on Earth, turning people into little piles of an ash-like compound, before dissipating harmlessly.

The show then follows the plight of the four human survivors – three male, one female – who survive due to various far-fetched reasons, one of them, Colin, a rugby league fanatic, was taking part in a sponsored dive for his beloved Barrow rugby league club when life ended as he knew it.

Loved that programme. Colin was played by Stephen Rea who went on to be the voice of Gerry Adams.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

No one remember “Fallen Hero” on ITV in the mid 1970’s about the tribulations of an ex-RL star? Think he was an ex-Union player who went north? Played by Del Henney - best known for the infamous scene in Straw Dogs with Susan George.  Good actor now sadly passed. Ran for two series so must have been quite popular. I was only about 13 but remember it as being ok. 

13 hours ago, Nate90 said:

Somebody on this forum has mentioned it before but this is John Cusack wearing a Kangaroos shirt  in the 1985 feature  The Sure Thing 

image-3.jpeg

Via Bryan Niebling. 

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

7 hours ago, Ullman said:

Almost sixty years old but still my favourite sport based film.

Both leads nominated for Oscars in a period when it meant something. Harris won at Cannes as well. 

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

Archived