Rugby League in Popular culture

Ash Hope

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Fax Knight said:

No one remember “Fallen Hero” on ITV in the mid 1970’s about the tribulations of an ex-RL star? Think he was an ex-Union player who went north? Played by Del Henney - best known for the infamous scene in Straw Dogs with Susan George.  Good actor now sadly passed. Ran for two series so must have been quite popular. I was only about 13 but remember it as being ok. 

I just about remember that also can't find footage of Dennis Waterman playing Albert Goldthorpe in ITV The First Kangaroos 1988.

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

That explains it, I hardly recognised him.

Saint, Sinner, Shoosh: Ray Warren missing from Channel 9 2022 NRL commentary line-up.

Saint, Sinner, Shoosh: Ray Warren missing from Channel 9 2022 NRL commentary line-up (theaustralian.com.au)

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

If I had a pound for every video I have seen of a guy in a boob tube dancing to Rugby League commentary. 

I would have a pound.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 hours ago, Dunbar said:

If I had a pound for every video I have seen of a guy in a boob tube dancing to Rugby League commentary. 

I would have a pound.

Comment of 2022. The fact there is 10 months left is irrespective. The award is given in lieu.

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

1. Does anyone remember Trinity Way? It was a quirky six part comedy/drama series in the late 70s, written by Alan Plater and based on rugby league fandom.

The framework of the series was a group of Wakefield Trinity fans going down to Wembley in a minibus telling stories to each other on the way down. It was (very) loosely based on the Canterbury Tales.

Each episode featured a different story and the actors who played the characters in the minibus also played the characters in each of the tales. One tale was called 'The Wife of Batley' iirc.

2. A quite obscure one this. In the opening titles of The Persuaders, depicting the contrasting lives of Tony Curtis' Danny Wilde and Roger Moore's Lord Brett Sinclair as they grew up, there's a brief shot of what is supposedly a young Roger Moore playing rugby for Oxford University or somewhere.

It's actually former England RU and Barrow RLFC player Tom Brophy in action. Brophy's photo was used because he resembled the young Roger Moore. 

7 minutes ago, Dave W said:

1. Does anyone remember Trinity Way? It was a quirky six part comedy/drama series in the late 70s, written by Alan Plater and based on rugby league fandom.

The framework of the series was a group of Wakefield Trinity fans going down to Wembley in a minibus telling stories to each other on the way down. It was (very) loosely based on the Canterbury Tales.

Each episode featured a different story and the actors who played the characters in the minibus also played the characters in each of the tales. One tale was called 'The Wife of Batley' iirc.

2. A quite obscure one this. In the opening titles of The Persuaders, depicting the contrasting lives of Tony Curtis' Danny Wilde and Roger Moore's Lord Brett Sinclair as they grew up, there's a brief shot of what is supposedly a young Roger Moore playing rugby for Oxford University or somewhere.

It's actually former England RU and Barrow RLFC player Tom Brophy in action. Brophy's photo was used because he resembled the young Roger Moore. 

I hadn't heard of it, but a quick google brought me to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Tales.

Was only 7 when it was on, but surprised I hadn't heard of it with my parents both being Trinity.

Great reading this made me revisit my childhood and watch the legendary Castleford episode of Go with Noakes on YouTube this morning. Fascinating watching after all these years but can still remember this episode clearly as a kid. Definitely a recommended watch for those of us a certain age 

4 hours ago, metallithrax said:

I hadn't heard of it, but a quick google brought me to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Tales.

Was only 7 when it was on, but surprised I hadn't heard of it with my parents both being Trinity.

Cheers. Trinity Tales not Way! I was only young myself and it was a long time ago...

The cover for "Men's Needs" by The Cribs has them sat on the terracing at Belle Vue

Men's_needs_cover.jpeg

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

On 28/02/2022 at 11:23, Stotty said:

Alan Plater also gave us the unlikely pleasure of seeing Alun Armstrong taking Elliott Gould to watch Bramley vs Hunslet in the 1994 BBC play Doggin' Around.

Wow never seen that but lots of familiar faces and like that sort drama, dark humour ?, be watching that with a few cans of Bitter tonight.

On 26/02/2022 at 13:59, Jughead said:

There was a series a few years ago on TV that my Mum watched and Odsal was in it. I don’t know if they ever referenced the Bulls though. 

It was series two of The Sydicate 

On 28/02/2022 at 10:00, metallithrax said:

Doesn't look like it's available anywhere, but here are the opening graphics: https://www.ravensbourne.ac.uk/bbc-motion-graphics-archive/trinity-tales-1975

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am writing an (academic) book at the moment, to be published by Routledge in the summer. Far off from being anything to do with a popular culture but I did manage to get a reference in about rugby league!

1 hour ago, EssexRL said:

I am writing an (academic) book at the moment, to be published by Routledge in the summer. Far off from being anything to do with a popular culture but I did manage to get a reference in about rugby league!

Is it a 200 page picture book on Samantha Janus??

On 28/02/2022 at 11:23, Stotty said:

Alan Plater also gave us the unlikely pleasure of seeing Alun Armstrong taking Elliott Gould to watch Bramley vs Hunslet in the 1994 BBC play Doggin' Around.

She has a lovely voice too! 

Archived