Rugby League in Popular culture

Ash Hope

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Millie Bobbie Brown, her from Stranger Things, has been pictured in a Wigan shirt. Something about she went out with some Wigan player. It was that or she absolute loves pies. 

She went out with one of Jason Robinson's kids for a while.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

spacer.png

Millie Bobbie Brown, her from Stranger Things, has been pictured in a Wigan shirt. Something about she went out with some Wigan player. It was that or she absolute loves pies. 

I think I recall it’s because one of her parents is from Wigan. Hopefully Hopper will have his Saints shirt on in Series 4. 

Here's a trio which I don't think have been mentioned before.

First we have the obscure sitcom Dogfood Dan & The Carmarthen Cowboy. The character of Dan was a big Hull FC fan as can be seen in the opening credits.

Next, for Rovers fans we have a blink and you'll miss it joke in Jonathan Creek at around 16 mins 15 secs.

And finally we have some good old cross-code aggro at around 23 minutes in obscure 80s comedy drama The Ritz. No great surprise when you find out it was written by John Godber.

22 hours ago, Jughead said:

spacer.png

This. Is. Crazy.

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

On 26/02/2022 at 04:44, Ullman said:

Almost sixty years old but still my favourite sport based film.

Watched it again. Still a brilliant film. 

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

On 04/03/2022 at 10:50, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

First we have the obscure sitcom Dogfood Dan & The Carmarthen Cowboy. The character of Dan was a big Hull FC fan as can be seen in the opening credits.

Next, for Rovers fans we have a blink and you'll miss it joke in Jonathan Creek at around 16 mins 15 secs.

And finally we have some good old cross-code aggro at around 23 minutes in obscure 80s comedy drama The Ritz. No great surprise when you find out it was written by John Godber.

That's some research! Fine showing my liege

Rugby League World writer

Twitter: @a_hope14
Mobile: iPhone 3

On 04/03/2022 at 10:50, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

This is a great topic as I remember The Ritz...sure Frank Bruno was on it.

This was a tweet from Adam Hills, I couldn`t find the ` Rugby League on Channel 4 ` thread so I put it on here. The blokes got 600k + twitter followers so it probably belongs on this thread anyway. He really is turning in to a major asset for the game.

A new episode of @OutOfYourRL is out NOW 💪

@adamhillscomedy joins Will, Mark & Jon to discuss his comedy journey, the growth of PDRL & gives an insight into @C4Sport's #SuperLeague coverage 🏉

Available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon & YouTube 🎤

• 2 weeks later...

Archived