Cup Draw

Spike

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Onreport said:

Doesnt knock that much time off either

Try travelling down Keswick A591 to Windermere then connect onto A592 to Newby Bridge then onto A590 to BARRA. I have found it a better and quicker road when it is not tourist season.

51 minutes ago, Billy Bob said:

Try travelling down Keswick A591 to Windermere then connect onto A592 to Newby Bridge then onto A590 to BARRA. I have found it a better and quicker road when it is not tourist season.

To be fair have tried all wats, even uP To Penrith and down M6, about 90 mins whichever way you go

48 minutes ago, Peter Winthorpe said:

Went to the Lancs cup semi against Barra in 79 I think. Was working for Carlislr City at that time and went with a few including the chief planner who was from Barra.

We went down the M6 before turning into the cul de sac. We won but got Widnes again in the final at Central Park.

The 79 final was at Salford Peter.

23 minutes ago, Unicorn 106 said:

The 79 final was at Salford Peter.

Knew their was one at Salford  which I went to with my dad. 77 at Warrington which we won. The other 2 against Widnes at Central Park. Went to all 4 but my dad on shifts missed the Warrington final

Memory is not what it used to be but remember going to first match against Leigh in late 50s or early 60s. We won 28.4 if I'm right. Loppy lugs was a star them. And then seeing us play Salford who scored first but we won 60 5. No scoreboard then  as Brian Edgar asked us the score at 49 5.

6 hours ago, chromedome said:

Yep....12/3/78..Cas at home, 8-8....replay 14/3/78 at Cas 8-8.

2nd replay held at Central Park Wigan on 16/378 when Cas won 20-13.

..therefore 3 matches in 5 days to decide the cup-tie..

Went to that reply with my old lad, he had to ask Charlie Wright headmaster at Moorclose school if I could leave early , to my surprise he said yes, he was union through and through 🏉

11 hours ago, Hate the rec said:

Went to that reply with my old lad, he had to ask Charlie Wright headmaster at Moorclose school if I could leave early , to my surprise he said yes, he was union through and through 🏉

Went with some lads from work in the car, we had been to Cas for the replay and were giving it a miss. Sitting in the canteen having lunch on the day of the game and we all decided we couldn't miss it. Set off for Wigan when we finished work at 4pm.

On 28/02/2022 at 22:24, IanMac said:

Don’t think I’ve seen us get beat in the challenge cup at Barrow, a draw sometime in the 70’s,  when,  if my memory serves me correctly, Keith Davies who would be near the end of his career was public enemy no 1 with the Barrow fans for some reason I can’t remember. We won the replay and won there in the mid 80’s by a couple of points. 

Not a bad draw really should be a good crowd so a decent payday. 

Had a word with Keith( a relative) and asked if he remembered that match. He reckons he crashed a few that day but being a flyer he launched in on one Barrow player and during the clash the Barrow guys foot ended up on Keiths leg breaking it in the process! Loudest cheer of the day I reckon.!

28 minutes ago, maripins said:

Had a word with Keith( a relative) and asked if he remembered that match. He reckons he crashed a few that day but being a flyer he launched in on one Barrow player and during the clash the Barrow guys foot ended up on Keiths leg breaking it in the process! Loudest cheer of the day I reckon.!

Thanks for that. I didn’t remember him breaking his leg just that I could remember Barrow fans getting a bit heated about him!!  Loved seeing him and Ian Wright in their prime causing no end of problems for teams. 

12 minutes ago, IanMac said:

Thanks for that. I didn’t remember him breaking his leg just that I could remember Barrow fans getting a bit heated about him!!  Loved seeing him and Ian Wright in their prime causing no end of problems for teams. 

Here's another one Keith told me when he was playing. We were playing Wigan at home and Keith was on the left wing, any body saw him play he was a pretty tough nut to deal with, Billy Boston was on Wigans right wing and set off toward Keith bowling along at speed. Keith said I'm going to stop this bloke! Next thing he remembered he was lying flat on his back with Billys footprints all over him and feeling as if he'd been hit by a train!! Laughed like hell at that one. I was at the match and asked Keith what had happened there. Reply unprintable!!

2 hours ago, Unicorn 106 said:

It was one hell of a long journey back from Wigan after losing. 🙈 Things you done when you were young and daft. Just old and daft now. 🤔

Tell me about it lol,45 years ago i worked all my dinner hours so I could finish early to go to Barra on a Friday night. HT 0 - 12 , lost 13 - 12 !!!! The things that stick in yer mind lol. Wouldn't do it now lol.

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Hopefully more barrow fans turn up and town bring plenty and we show the RFL that rugby league in Cumbria is still a rugby league hot bed and maybe put some effort in up here. 

Definitely.

12 hours ago, dkw said:

Not sure that's true, I think if anything it could add to the gate.

Can't see why more people would attend when it's being televised 🤔 Can't  see us taking as many down there especially with a 1pm kick off, hope I'm wrong and it's a big crowd.

12 hours ago, IanMac said:

Good interview on love rugby league podcast with Chris. Some quite interesting points. 

Good listening, interesting to hear he signed up on the back of the promised new stadium.

20 minutes ago, dkw said:

Good listening, interesting to hear he signed up on the back of the promised new stadium.

Yes and the fact he’s moved across here now with his family. Very committed to the town. Sounded like there could be new directors in the pipeline as well. 

Archived