Match thread: Championship Rd5. Featherstone Rovers v Halifax. Sunday 6th March 2022.

marklaspalmas

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yep...when Leilua was first named he didn't appear in the 19 on the RFL website either. The missing two names will be Wildie and Jacks I'm sure.

Callum Field was taken off about 2 minutes after he was treated for an arm/shoulder knock in the game at The Shay so might not be over that.

Ta. Didn't spot that.

Just the four halfbacks in the 21 then.

So presumably two half backs plus, perhaps, McConnell and Trout the 4 to miss out at a guess, unless Mac wants to go with Jacks or one of the halves on the bench, which I doubt with Wildie in the squad as an extra half back cover.

Given Chisholm was taken off at Fax and Smith has been solid, it might be Smith and Jacks at half back on Sunday. Holmes and Chizzy are a pretty useful reserve pairing mind!

4 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I quite like that though. Used to be a 19-man squad, but if we have to name 21, stick all the half backs in and keep the opposition guessing.

Yeah, I said that because I thought we'd be a bit light for forward options, but to be fair, there's 10 middles & second-rowers to choose 8 from.

It's a very strong squad indeed, even with six players out injured.

30 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

So presumably two half backs plus, perhaps, McConnell and Trout the 4 to miss out

Don;t forget Brett  hasn't been one of BM's favourites 

A lot will depend on who we send to the whinos reserves 

3 minutes ago, POR said:

A lot will depend on who we send to the whinos reserves 

McConnell is in the Leeds squad so I'd be surprised if he plays for us this weekend.

Doesn't look like anyone else from us is in their reserves squad, I doubt we'd ask Ferres to play for Leeds reserves anyway so probably between him and Trout for one spot.

1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

McConnell is in the Leeds squad so I'd be surprised if he plays for us this weekend.

Doesn't look like anyone else from us is in their reserves squad, I doubt we'd ask Ferres to play for Leeds reserves anyway so probably between him and Trout for one spot.

Wasn't thinking about Brett and the whinos just that BM seems a bit reluctant  to pick him and his place may depend on how many of the other two were going to play for them 

4 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Looks like our Dual Reg manoeuvres are very much on the back burner for now...Levi Edwards, who was one of the trio mooted as being a possible for us, is in York's squad this weekend!

looks like it's finished PH

The'ave  changed their current arrangement  to play for Bulls from a loan basis to a Dual Registrationt and FEV on a loan basis where necessary. 

This change has been brought about primarily because Featherstone Rovers no longer have the same need for our emerging players. 

56 minutes ago, POR said:

looks like it's finished PH

The'ave  changed their current arrangement  to play for Bulls from a loan basis to a Dual Registrationt and FEV on a loan basis where necessary. 

This change has been brought about primarily because Featherstone Rovers no longer have the same need for our emerging players. 

Just posted a new thread with a link to Leeds' article on their new arrangement 

Stats from the game at The Shay backed up the visual impression - we outgained them by miles in the first half (683m from 73 plays against 421m from 63 plays) but they narrowly outgained us in the second, when they had more of the ball (557m from 65 plays for Halifax, compared with our 531m from 54 plays).

Top yardage gainers were Briscoe (134m from 13 carries) Gale (133-13) and Bussey (132 from 16). Shows how important the two wings are to get us on the front foot and also Bussey's big minutes.

Bussey and Jones led the tackle count with 37 and 38 respectively, unsurprisingly as both played 80 minutes in the middle.

Good numbers also from Cuthbertson (8 carries for 74 yards and 24 tackles) in his shorter stint, and Leilua led the backs in tackles with 19.

2 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Wingers  always get more easy yardage as they are often one on one especially if the centre gives them good ball.Bussey stats are outstanding 8 yards per carry in the middle against two or three defenders he is a real grafter as his tackling count shows.

Gale and Briscoe's stats were almost all based off tough carries up the middle in yardage at the start of sets, and both had big yards after contact. Josh H is great at those tough carries too. Agree that Bussey's stats were great.

Just setting off. The team news is= looks like he is resting Moors & Chisholm, and Holmes looks to be out of favour. Jacks is starting . 

Definately got away with that

Way off for 70 mins of that game

Dont know how 37 year old Cuthbertson & 36 year old Lockwood can be the teams best runners with all that alledged strike in the backline?

Oh well good teams win ugly and it prob doesnt gst much uglier than that 

Best team lost, it is as clear as that. Didnt start to play until Wildie was binned  Fax must. . be gutted

To me Joey looks unfit and Jacks was not on show. Our 2 35 + did most of the running as post before says/ 

We have played better than that and lost.

Well we were outplayed for 65 minutes and Fax looked by far the best team.As stated in above posts Jacks looked miles off the pace just stood still and passed,Fazx halves  and 9 totally outplayed us for 65 min.Fax ran on to the ball from depth while our players were as flat as a pancake.Before  he went off John Davies was our best forward by some way Cuthbertson had his best game so far showing the younger forwards up and was immense in his last spell.Locky worked hard as always.Smith was quiet but improved in the last 15 min out of all recognition.Pickersgill looked for gaps but was rather flat when joining the attack although he did make a try saving tackle and his catching was much better ,getting under the ball.In the first half i said we needed to chip over the  top,but we had no one with pace to follow it.I will reserve judgement on Joey as he may need more game time but he needs to do more .Thought Hall was quiet but he sprung into life late on and took his tries well.Think we may need to find a place for Chizzy as he can be a match winner and can break a strong defence.LUCKY ESCAPE.

4 minutes ago, OldManMarley said:

You can’t beat posting “stats” that no one gives a toss about!? Seriously, who gives a toss about a game from last week? Post an opinion, not a load of numbers that mean absolutely sod all this week.

Wind your neck in, old lad, and just don't read them if you're not interested in them.

I'm sure plenty of people aren't, got no problem about that, but why not let people decide for themselves whether they're interesting or not?

Oh, and I post plenty of opinions on here, thanks, and have for years.

Archived