Sun 6th Mar: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Fev got out of jail there.

Fax were by far the better team for 65 minutes and did enough to deserve the win.

I agree but we FINALLY ground out the win. Fax always seem to up their game against us and that score wasn't representative of the game.

My Hope right now for London is that based on that showing, they should finish above Workingham and Dewsbury, which keeps them in Champ. My sources tell me that the gate was less than 1K which is a shame as this was the best performance London have delivered, and the sort of performance which will hopefully get the fans coming back for the Bradford game

Phew! That is a big 2 points for Fev today. If Fax had won it I wouldn't have complained. They were they best team for 65 minutes. Few thoughts...
Fax were excellent with the ball and were faster and better with the ball in hand for most of the game. Their half backs played really well and their forwards put in a big shift too. And they kept coming at us with threat right to the end. Big room for improvement for us here.
Poor ref overall for both teams. Thought we came off worst from his whistle frenzy in the first half but there were one or two things late on which could have gone against us but didn't. When Pickersgill took out their winger after kicking through - that could have easily been called. There was a dangerous looking spear type tackle on their 30/40 which could have been given against us and a knock down which was missed on their 40 yard line.
Locky and Davis were again full hearted in the pack and Cuthbertson had his best game so far but when Bussey went off he was missed. Hope it's nothing serious. With him off and no Jesse, Moores or Koppy that is 4 of probably out first choice pack not on the park.
Jacks will be pleased to have a game under his belt but if I were Chizzy I would have been a bit ###### off that he went straight in at my expense. When is Holmes going to play again? Will he rotate the halves? Smith doesn't deserve to be left out but he might have to if he is to keep them all happy.
We did not panic at the end and kept our composure. Jacks said on radio Leeds that games like this will do us good at the end of the season. If we just rack a stack of points every game we won't be ready for the tough games when it counts in the play-offs. He has a point.
Folk (lots of neutrals) who are saying we should win every game this season are being disrespectful to the rest of the championship.
Five out of five and 3700 in the ground! Fantastic! Up the Rovers!

4 minutes ago, Steven Grason said:
Phew! That is a big 2 points for Fev today. If Fax had won it I wouldn't have complained. They were they best team for 65 minutes. Few thoughts...
Fax were excellent with the ball and were faster and better with the ball in hand for most of the game. Their half backs played really well and their forwards put in a big shift too. And they kept coming at us with threat right to the end. Big room for improvement for us here.
Poor ref overall for both teams. Thought we came off worst from his whistle frenzy in the first half but there were one or two things late on which could have gone against us but didn't. When Pickersgill took out their winger after kicking through - that could have easily been called. There was a dangerous looking spear type tackle on their 30/40 which could have been given against us and a knock down which was missed on their 40 yard line.
Locky and Davis were again full hearted in the pack and Cuthbertson had his best game so far but when Bussey went off he was missed. Hope it's nothing serious. With him off and no Jesse, Moores or Koppy that is 4 of probably out first choice pack not on the park.
Jacks will be pleased to have a game under his belt but if I were Chizzy I would have been a bit ###### off that he went straight in at my expense. When is Holmes going to play again? Will he rotate the halves? Smith doesn't deserve to be left out but he might have to if he is to keep them all happy.
We did not panic at the end and kept our composure. Jacks said on radio Leeds that games like this will do us good at the end of the season. If we just rack a stack of points every game we won't be ready for the tough games when it counts in the play-offs. He has a point.
Folk (lots of neutrals) who are saying we should win every game this season are being disrespectful to the rest of the championship.

18 point(s) well made

9 minutes ago, Steven Grason said:

Good summary that.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Great win for Haven. They have managed to pick up important points from their first 5 games which is just keeping them ticking over. The derby is a huge game - even this early.

Still way off the pace marra the 1st half performance needs to improve trailing 12-8 then we score 32 in  2nd half!!! Put a full 80 mins in be 60pts in the Derby game. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

49 minutes ago, Havenfan10 said:

Still way off the pace marra the 1st half performance needs to improve trailing 12-8 then we score 32 in  2nd half!!! Put a full 80 mins in be 60pts in the Derby game. 

To be hoped we perform better than the friendly! Anything can happen in Derby games so I'm never confident 😂! Derby is 3 times this year I believe? Big 6pts on offer!

15 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

To be hoped we perform better than the friendly! Anything can happen in Derby games so I'm never confident 😂! Derby is 3 times this year I believe? Big 6pts on offer!

Im sure we will marra. Sheffield next up in the league massive game for us. 

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Tough on fax,  next for them is Leigh and cant see them winning that.  Going to be 2 points from 5 games and will be a tough ask to male the playoffs from there. 

After tomorrow think we will be able to throw a cap over Barrow down to Bulls for those 3 playoff spots.  Massive chance for Widnes to move two points further clear. 

Im not too worried, only reason for the loss today was with us 4 points up Joufrett breaks the line with what would have been a 2 on 1 with the fullback and his hamstring goes. We go 10 points up we probably win the game. Its unfortunate but it happens but look at the games we have lost, other teams in the playoffs will lose those games. I still expect us to finish 3rd or 4th and have the best chance of any of the nearly teams to knock off Fev and Leigh. Interesting you can't see us beating Leigh at home though, after today I think we will go in to that game thinking we can run them very close especially with a week off.

3 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Thought Halifax controlled the game for the first 60 minutes, they managed to slow the Fev play the ball down and their half backs were excellent. Strangely enough it was the sin binning of Wilde which seemed to spark Fev into life and I think Fax ran out of a bit of steam. After that Fev ground out the win although we got lucky when Walmsley almost intercepted just before the hooter.

Yeah the injury on the break was a huge turning point then the try we had ruled out for a bounce, it did look like a knock on but Id like to see the replay, those 2 plays within the space of 5 minutes were huge turning points and Fax take either chance they probably win. Again on another day that intercpt sticks and Walmsley wins the game with the last play but instead its Fev that makes the score a little lop sided with the try on the hooter but hey ho. We showed enough today to show that we will be a lot closer to Fev when it comes to this years playoffs than we were last year.

8 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Im not too worried, only reason for the loss today was with us 4 points up Joufrett breaks the line with what would have been a 2 on 1 with the fullback and his hamstring goes. We go 10 points up we probably win the game. Its unfortunate but it happens but look at the games we have lost, other teams in the playoffs will lose those games. I still expect us to finish 3rd or 4th and have the best chance of any of the nearly teams to knock off Fev and Leigh. Interesting you can't see us beating Leigh at home though, after today I think we will go in to that game thinking we can run them very close especially with a week off.

We always go to Fax ' hoping ' to win , never ' expecting ' 

20 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah the injury on the break was a huge turning point then the try we had ruled out for a bounce, it did look like a knock on but Id like to see the replay, those 2 plays within the space of 5 minutes were huge turning points and Fax take either chance they probably win. Again on another day that intercpt sticks and Walmsley wins the game with the last play but instead its Fev that makes the score a little lop sided with the try on the hooter but hey ho. We showed enough today to show that we will be a lot closer to Fev when it comes to this years playoffs than we were last year.

That disallowed try was right in front of me. Definitely bounced it. Score that and you win. Bad luck today, you were the better team.

13 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Strange comment for a NEUTRAL !

19 hours ago, Phil W said:

Agreed on the score. Think we are improving and will get better as the season goes on. We are at the start of a journey here.

While I think Leigh deserved the win, I saw enough to know that the return fixture will be very tough and that the score could've been very different. Newcastle had a try disallowed when tight in the corner, Leigh could easily have been flagged in touch for a try in the second half. Kicks caused confusion early in each half, which could have led to Newcastle tries as well.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

I cant see any part time team beating a full time team after the lads have been at work. Thats the issue with monday night. 

Yep you lost to Fev but losses to Widnes and Batley are the games you have to be at least splitting to be in it. 

Saving grace is bar Fev, Leigh  (and maybe Widnes after tonight) everyone is taking points off everyone else in that pack.  

But your next 5 

Leigh  (loss) Haven  (Win) then Bulls,  Barrow and improving Newcastle. You probably need 3 from five to stay in the hunt.  

We still have to play both batley and Widnes again so a chance of splitting the points and the only other loss is against Fev away which probably should have been a win. Its really not as bad as it looks and in good conditions and with a little bit of luck we could have been 4/4 or 3/4. From the games mentioned I would be disappointed if we didn't get 4 wins from those 5 but any less than 3 I would start to be worried. 

I still see Bradford, Batley, York and Widnes as our main rivals for the top 6 so its those results Im keeping an eye on mostly and Ive said before Widnes are in a false position for the moment. If Barrow can beat them tonight, which I really don't expect, then maybe Barrow could be talked about as contenders but with victories over Sheffield, Haven, and Newcastle they really have not faced a test until tonight. Bradford losing at home to Sheffield could be crucial at the end of the season as their rivals will be looking at those games as 4 points. Im sure its going to be interesting but I think after half way we should see the table settling down to more how it were expected to look at the start of the season.

Archived