Dutch League 2022 🇳🇱

The Dutch have been going steady with 5 teams for the last few years and their national team has been steadily improving too. 

My only slight concern here is the shrinking season, as the graphic shows: June - July. This to me would suggest an increasing reliance on rugby union players. 

• Eddie changed the title to Dutch League 2022 🇳🇱
1 hour ago, langpark said:

The Dutch have been going steady with 5 teams for the last few years and their national team has been steadily improving too. 

My only slight concern here is the shrinking season, as the graphic shows: June - July. This to me would suggest an increasing reliance on rugby union players. 

Hopefully, in time, they’ll realise that League is the better game and focus on that.

I’m sure there was another team previously though, iirc there were five before Zwolle, but can’t think who they were. 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Hopefully, in time, they’ll realise that League is the better game and focus on that.

I’m sure there was another team previously though, iirc there were five before Zwolle, but can’t think who they were. 

There was an announcement of team from Dordrecht last year and they took part in the 9s but don't seem to have returned this year.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 03/03/2022 at 09:00, langpark said:

No not really.

This is from the  NRLB Facebook

"......due to Public Holidays in August and International Season in September, this isn’t possible. We aim to do a full season in 2023! Thank you for your continued support! "

Unsure as why the season is only starting in June mind you.

Before the covid lockdown the season ran from May4th to July 13th

34 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Always thought Dutch should be big in either code of Rugby.

Little known I would think ( outside NL off course) but the Union national side are playing one division below 6 Nations v the likes of Georgia, Romania, Portugal etc etc.

Just now, yanto said:

Little known I would think ( outside NL off course) but the Union national side are playing one division below 6 Nations v the likes of Georgia, Romania, Portugal etc etc.

If only they knew (or cared) that if they all switched codes they could probably get in the RLWC. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

If only they knew (or cared) that if they all switched codes they could probably get in the RLWC. 

Not many ...if any  would get in the League side.

Seriously 😉

Dutch RU is steeped in "English old fart and student mentality".

They were used in the early days but now its only a small number of union based players involved. 

Champions Den Haag Knights more than any of the other clubs but saying that they are using lower level union players who have put League before their union commitments.

Anyone pulling on a shirt in the season is a League player. End off.

😊

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Further Eddie back in the day v Scotland A in Sassenheim we had five or six union internationals. 

Most enjoyed it but one ,a Dutch union legend and holder of the record international caps ,who actually played for the Baa Baas , told me never ever ask him to play that game again. 

Asked why ..."to much hard work...no time to think...pressure pressure pressure"

Those words stick in my mind even twenty years later.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Why is that? 

Just used to think the Dutch could of been a top Rugby nation when I used to go to the Dam but maybe it was the space cake.....saying that if Misplaced Dutch Boks ever need a 2nd home for 6 Nations expansion then Amsterdam could be ideal for a home ground.

12 hours ago, yanto said:

Before the covid lockdown the season ran from May4th to July 13th

That is what I was struggling to understand.  As I remember it, Rotterdam 9s would always be in April, then the season would usually kick off in May.  Their "explanation" strikes me as a bit odd.

If they are not reliant on union players, like you say, then why only play for 5 out of the 52 weeks of the year?  And how do the players feel about that? 

5 minutes ago, langpark said:

That is what I was struggling to understand.  As I remember it, Rotterdam 9s would always be in April, then the season would usually kick off in May.  Their "explanation" strikes me as a bit odd.

If they are not reliant on union players, like you say, then why only play for 5 out of the 52 weeks of the year?  And how do the players feel about that? 

Surprised me also. 

Five teams...eight competition games plus the play offs.

Can't understand with an increase of clubs why they have cut down on the number of games.

I shall try to find out.👍

OK had a chat with a mate in the know. 

Few reasons why they are planning a shorter season.

1) Due to the extended Union season ,(because of the national side playing two seasons fixtures in one season)pitches are difficult to come by in April and May.

When the national team play all club fixtures are cancelled. 

So the union season is extended by another six week making pitches unavailable. 

2)After two years of basically being locked down the players have asked for no fixtures during the four week holiday period. Understandable as no one has had a family summer holiday abroad since covid struck.

Who can blame them it's been a difficult two years for everyone.

3)The most concerning....and also happening in a lot of other sports over here.

Players during covid have got used to more family time and as the Dutch are very family orientated a number of players have decided against resuming .

This is affecting the playing numbers for the league clubs.

As he points out its a nationwide/sportswide problem with a downward trend of people resuming sport.They are hoping to address this and get the league code back to some kind of normality next season.

Basically its logistics and playing numbers. 

Hopefully both can be overcome for next season.

10 hours ago, yanto said:

OK had a chat with a mate in the know. 

Few reasons why they are planning a shorter season.

1) Due to the extended Union season ,(because of the national side playing two seasons fixtures in one season)pitches are difficult to come by in April and May.

When the national team play all club fixtures are cancelled. 

So the union season is extended by another six week making pitches unavailable. 

2)After two years of basically being locked down the players have asked for no fixtures during the four week holiday period. Understandable as no one has had a family summer holiday abroad since covid struck.

Who can blame them it's been a difficult two years for everyone.

3)The most concerning....and also happening in a lot of other sports over here.

Players during covid have got used to more family time and as the Dutch are very family orientated a number of players have decided against resuming .

This is affecting the playing numbers for the league clubs.

As he points out its a nationwide/sportswide problem with a downward trend of people resuming sport.They are hoping to address this and get the league code back to some kind of normality next season.

Basically its logistics and playing numbers. 

Hopefully both can be overcome for next season.

Thanks for the details.  To be honest, with every "interruption", it is inevitable that you lose players.  For example, every off-season, I am resigned to losing 10-15% of players, as people change their routine and simply "move on" to other things.  But I always find ways to replenish the ranks, so there is always a bit of a player turnover every season.

Covid was no doubt, even harder as it was a much longer break(s) and there was a lot of stop-starting.  However, I am a firm believer, you have to work with you've got and keep the show going.  For example, there have been countless times, where I was unsure if either team could field 13 players, yet both teams agreed to the match(es), and had a "gentlemen's agreement" that if need be, the match can be adjusted accordingly if numbers are low (11 vs 11, 10 vs 10, etc.) just as long as the match happens.  These have been critical momentum builders that have led to player numbers being rebuilt.

The Dutch, I understand their reasons, but in my opinion, should have been a bit more daring with their approach.  The field issue, I understand to an extent, but would it really kill them to play a few games on soccer fields?  Like they do in pretty much all the rest of Europe, exc. France and Britain?

Anyway, it is better than nothing, go the Dutch!  I will be keenly following their progress.

10 hours ago, langpark said:

Thanks for the details.  To be honest, with every "interruption", it is inevitable that you lose players.  For example, every off-season, I am resigned to losing 10-15% of players, as people change their routine and simply "move on" to other things.  But I always find ways to replenish the ranks, so there is always a bit of a player turnover every season.

Covid was no doubt, even harder as it was a much longer break(s) and there was a lot of stop-starting.  However, I am a firm believer, you have to work with you've got and keep the show going.  For example, there have been countless times, where I was unsure if either team could field 13 players, yet both teams agreed to the match(es), and had a "gentlemen's agreement" that if need be, the match can be adjusted accordingly if numbers are low (11 vs 11, 10 vs 10, etc.) just as long as the match happens.  These have been critical momentum builders that have led to player numbers being rebuilt.

The Dutch, I understand their reasons, but in my opinion, should have been a bit more daring with their approach.  The field issue, I understand to an extent, but would it really kill them to play a few games on soccer fields?  Like they do in pretty much all the rest of Europe, exc. France and Britain?

Anyway, it is better than nothing, go the Dutch!  I will be keenly following their progress.

I think - and I could be wrong but yanto will correct me if I am - that all pitches are unavailable pretty much regardless of rugby/soccer. 

5 hours ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

I think - and I could be wrong but yanto will correct me if I am - that all pitches are unavailable pretty much regardless of rugby/soccer. 

You remember the problem's finding field's in the summer twenty years ago 😉

One main reason for the expansion of the game was the introduction of G3 G4 pitches.

Before they came along getting a field between 1st June and 1st August was virtually impossible. 

Anyway in reply to Lankpark it seems the players and committee have reached a decision and we have to accept their reasons. 

Remember Holland had one of the strictest lockdowns and it's only a few weeks ago sports below elite level got the green light to open up.

Archived