Sheffield

DavidM

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Credit where its due, Sheffield were very good, they exploited our weaknesses and were very clinical. Thackeray was best on pitch and altho he plays on the edge Farrell was good also. 

I think we need some forwards, nothing against what we have but Sheffield won the ruck in both attack and defence. Dickinson took 3/4 players with him every drive. 

Doran was unfortunately marked out the game. I'd like to see Teare at Centre, we need someone who can break the line. 

Without over reacting and saying all the players & Chris are @#£%, I think we were just lazy & lethargic, especially in defence today. Sheffield are a very sharp team that are well coached and play nice rugby. But we let them dictate to us, and we were very naiive, slow, and ponderous in everything we did today. 

It doesn't help when the ref let's them ref the game for him, but let's not pretend he made a difference to who won. Their halves were excellent in both set plays and off the cuff stuff, but we stood off them and have them all the freedom they needed, and in contrast with the sun in their eyes in the second half we persisted kicking to the left away from the direct sun. We were way too weak in defence, and no matter whether Fitzy can play 80 mins maybe he just needs not to. Hopefully the lesson can be learned of what standard of energy & enthusiasm we need to at least match.  I fear it's gonna be a long season for us all but I'm not gonna call the lads and Chris, just hope they can put it right quickly. UTT.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

13 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Yes I do but someone has to take responsibility and the Buck stops with the head coach as he identifies the players he wants to sign 

As he said in his after match interview they are trying to be a sustainable club and nurture young talent, I’m sure if money and the right players were available he would bring them in and it does sound as though they are trying to do that, but will what’s available actually be worth the expense? I think we all knew it was going to be a long difficult season but I think the manner of the defeat today makes it far worse.

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Why do I have an awful feeling we’ll get more bans this week on top of everything else  

Chris thought there could be 2 going by his interview.

42 minutes ago, DavidM said:

How many offloads led to tries and chances for them ?  Ive said it before you can count the number of our offloads on the fingers of one finger . It just makes it easier to defend against you 

And they weren't just big forwards doing it,  it was centre's and just anybody who felt like it. They were much smarter and we got taught a lesson today, hopefully we learn from it. Whether we just had a bad day and can improve I'm doubtful at the minute. 

4 minutes ago, IanMac said:

As he said in his after match interview they are trying to be a sustainable club and nurture young talent, I’m sure if money and the right players were available he would bring them in and it does sound as though they are trying to do that, but will what’s available actually be worth the expense? I think we all knew it was going to be a long difficult season but I think the manner of the defeat today makes it far worse.

Definitely knew it was going to be a long season , and it’s tough getting the players in now . For what it’s worth I agree that we’ve a limited budget and by definition it makes it tough , but I also agree that Chris put the squad together and often said , and repeated last week , that he didn’t need big middles . He knows a shedload more than me but just in my opinion I thought that was totally wrong and especially with two out long term to begin with we had to match up these huge packs with more muscle when putting our squad together to begin with . I don’t bag Chris but I’ve seen nothing to make me change that opinion 

I'm sorry but we keep hearing about working with the funds we have available but if we end up as seems very likely going down at this point, what happens financially then? I can't see anyone else let alone the players we have wanting to stay with us.

We have a bare minimum squad and for 90% of them a poor game doesn't mean getting dropped as there's no one else to take there places.

Every other club seems to make signings by the week, dewsbury and barrow teams I'd expect us to be dealing with making 2 and 3 loan signings only this week but we can't even get one.

I really hope this is a wake up call now and we see the need to be looking at recruitment as a matter of urgency.

We apprently had some funds for an overseas talent that hasn't happened so surly we can get someone.

In Thorman we do trust but hands have to be held up and changes in the squad ASAP.

Dickinson was still as class today as when we were fortunate enough to have his class and Isaac Farrell dictated the game which he didn't do once in town colours.

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Definitely knew it was going to be a long season , and it’s tough getting the players in now . For what it’s worth I agree that we’ve a limited budget and by definition it makes it tough , but I also agree that Chris put the squad together and often said , and repeated last week , that he didn’t need big middles . He knows a shedload more than me but just in my opinion I thought that was totally wrong and especially with two out long term to begin with we had to match up these huge packs with more muscle when putting our squad together to begin with . I don’t bag Chris but I’ve seen nothing to make me change that opinion 

Was under no illusions on our weaknesses and always thought today's game  would be a good indication of where we are at,  have to say i am dissapointed, there did not seem to be any passion, energy or much idea to be fair, 14 tacles at one point o  their line and didnt even look dangerous.

To be fair Thompson and Fitzy ran hard all day,  but a few went missing today for mine

1 hour ago, Onreport said:

No names  but it may help if player(s) didnt go out round town on night before game!

One allegedly looking for a taxi at 8am this morning, shocking if true

Really hope this is just a rumor? If true it shows a complete lack of respect for not only the club but team mates/coach and especially the fans who pay hard earned money to watch them!! Hard going today, was always going to be tough as Sheffield are a better team than people give them credit for.

If the things that were said on the terraces about players out drinking yesterday was true then they need sorted out.. we pay money every week to watch them

Went down expecting to win after our past weeks performances but sadly we didn't deserve to even come 2nd, I've no clue were we are going to pick a win up at its very worrying 😢 

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yep , find another club 

Could be an issue if Town are already thin on numbers? If there's no funds/players available, could you really do with losing another as bad a situation as it is? Unless its someone who could be on a decent wage and free up their money?

2 minutes ago, Callum Linford 98 said:

Thacks and Faz were a different animal today. 

‘ Thacks and Faz ‘ looked like Sterling and Lewis because their team  was dominant across the park , they were on the front foot throughout and we added to that by deciding to go nowhere near them . Once Farrell got it , looked up and ran 15 yards before he met our line . Thackrays good but no way is he that good , our defence was totally passive 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

‘ Thacks and Faz ‘ looked like Sterling and Lewis because their team  was dominant across the park , they were on the front foot throughout and we added to that by deciding to go nowhere near them . Once Farrell got it , looked up and ran 15 yards before he met our line . Thackrays good but no way is he that good , our defence was totally passive 

I said on the radio we've a tenancy to allow teams to meet us rather than meeting them didn't help at times Vela was taking them 12 yards back

1 hour ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Yes I do but someone has to take responsibility and the Buck stops with the head coach as he identifies the players he wants to sign 

The coach identifies what he can afford. 

1 hour ago, havenhater said:

I'm sorry but we keep hearing about working with the funds we have available but if we end up as seems very likely going down at this point, what happens financially then? I can't see anyone else let alone the players we have wanting to stay with us.

We have a bare minimum squad and for 90% of them a poor game doesn't mean getting dropped as there's no one else to take there places.

Every other club seems to make signings by the week, dewsbury and barrow teams I'd expect us to be dealing with making 2 and 3 loan signings only this week but we can't even get one.

I really hope this is a wake up call now and we see the need to be looking at recruitment as a matter of urgency.

We apprently had some funds for an overseas talent that hasn't happened so surly we can get someone.

In Thorman we do trust but hands have to be held up and changes in the squad ASAP.

Dickinson was still as class today as when we were fortunate enough to have his class and Isaac Farrell dictated the game which he didn't do once in town colours.

Agreed, the hard working directors have supplied a budget for our coach to spend , it's up to Chris to decide who he spends it on, after the Fev game the conversation was all about been happy with the squad etc, today the interview referred to having a league one squad, unfortunately a league one squad won't keep us in the championship, hopefully this is now addressed to give the club a fighting chance of staying up.

Total disappointment at that display today, comprehensively beaten in the middle by big fast forwards who laid a foundation for the half’s and backs to run riot. We need urgently to get reinforcements. Also heard the rumour about a player out all night and looking for a taxi early this morning, if it is true it is deplorable for a professional athlete to behave in that way, hopefully the head coach and BOD will investigate and if required deal with it accordingly.

29 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

Agreed, the hard working directors have supplied a budget for our coach to spend , it's up to Chris to decide who he spends it on, after the Fev game the conversation was all about been happy with the squad etc, today the interview referred to having a league one squad, unfortunately a league one squad won't keep us in the championship, hopefully this is now addressed to give the club a fighting chance of staying up.

Did he not also say that he was looking to fetch in a good attacking player in from Egremont within the next seven days??

Archived