Sheffield

DavidM

On 08/03/2022 at 11:04, Dave W said:

Would you like a little cheese with that whine? May I respectfully suggest you wind your neck back in and sort your own club out before you start sniping at others?

To start off with:

• Most of the squad are Cumbrian
  • Barrow has double the gate receipts of Workington
  • We have a functional supporters association that raises a lot of money for ground improvements and player recruitment
  • We have a successful lottery that's been going over 40 years
  • Special promotions and events attracting several hundred people to the ground so it gets used other than just match days

Plus, it's very easy to spend your money when you're in the ground nowadays: food outlets and bars on three sides mean smaller queues and greater flow of customers. Volunteers at every entrance selling draw tickets, guess the score etc

By way of contrast: I came up to Workington last year to watch the Keighley playoff game. Big crowd, great atmosphere. Very hard to spend money.

• No-one tried to sell me a half time draw ticket. Never saw anyone selling them. Result: an extra couple of quid that never went into the Workington coffers
  • Only one food outlet with queues in one corner of the ground opposite to where most people were standing. Result: an extra couple of quid that never went into the Workington coffers.
  • Can't even buy a Haigh's pie anymore. 

There are a lot of little things that Workington could do a hell of a lot better and it's these little things that add up to quite a lot.

Its a forum for personal opinions in case you missed that. Yes you make some valid points there. The point I was getting at is it sustainable for cumbrian clubs to have the finances to stay in this tough league.  PS very good win at widnes and you have some good players in your squad now. Maybe barrows approach is something to be looked at. Barrow did seem to be a bit of a yoyo club in recent years but it looks like they have addressed that and will comfortably maintain their championship status this season.  So can it be done and sustained by cumbrian clubs in the championship is what I meant. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at Barrow s 17 on Monday there were 9 cumbrian and 10 if you include Stack, who has lived here forever. So the locals are there if you look hard enough. All of Barrows are from Millom, Askam,Barrow,Ulverston,  all good local amateur clubs. With the strength of the amateur game in north Cumbria you should have some good ones around. Barrow have nurtured them over a number of years, hence you ing but now they have the experience to cope. 

1 hour ago, Ulverstonian said:

If you look at Barrow s 17 on Monday there were 9 cumbrian and 10 if you include Stack, who has lived here forever. So the locals are there if you look hard enough. All of Barrows are from Millom, Askam,Barrow,Ulverston,  all good local amateur clubs. With the strength of the amateur game in north Cumbria you should have some good ones around. Barrow have nurtured them over a number of years, hence you ing but now they have the experience to cope. 

He's still Australian though isn't he? Just because a kangaroo lives in a stable doesn't make it a horse......

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

1 hour ago, Ulverstonian said:

Hardly nurtured Gillam, Kelly,  Dowsett, Crellin. 

The point I was trying to make was there are lots of good amateurs out there and you guys have some great clubs up there. Also only Gillam of the ones you name was in the 17 Monday. If you include the ones left out on Monday you can have another 5 locals in the full squad. Dowsett not signed this year either. Barrow have actively looked to sign the best locals for years and with the Academy bringing at least 4 through to first team squad it is working.

2 minutes ago, Ulverstonian said:

The point I was trying to make was there are lots of good amateurs out there and you guys have some great clubs up there. Also only Gillam of the ones you name was in the 17 Monday. If you include the ones left out on Monday you can have another 5 locals in the full squad. Dowsett not signed this year either. Barrow have actively looked to sign the best locals for years and with the Academy bringing at least 4 through to first team squad it is working.

No different to the way we are doing it apart from the fact your  further down the line and ours are having to gain their experience in a fairly tough league. We probably gained promotion a season to early but we are where we are and hopefully as they develop and find their feet we’ll see some positive results. 

41 minutes ago, The Voodooguru said:

He's still Australian though isn't he? Just because a kangaroo lives in a stable doesn't make it a horse......

Do fans really care where the players belong ? a winning team is all that matters to most of the fans, they would even forgive them if they came from Haven, ask Jammer.

6 hours ago, Billy Bob said:

Do fans really care where the players belong ? a winning team is all that matters to most of the fans, they would even forgive them if they came from Haven, ask Jammer.

No not at all, some of my favourite players over the years have been from the other side of the world.  

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

19 hours ago, town4me said:

Its a forum for personal opinions in case you missed that. Yes you make some valid points there. The point I was getting at is it sustainable for cumbrian clubs to have the finances to stay in this tough league.  PS very good win at widnes and you have some good players in your squad now. Maybe barrows approach is something to be looked at. Barrow did seem to be a bit of a yoyo club in recent years but it looks like they have addressed that and will comfortably maintain their championship status this season.  So can it be done and sustained by cumbrian clubs in the championship is what I meant. 

Thanks for giving a reply more considered than a "pulling a face" emoji. 

For my part, I have a lot of time for Workington and would love you to stay up.

I've always had a soft spot for DP, but the club need to put more effort into capitalising on larger crowds: Too few income streams in the ground. Just a trestle table selling plastic bottles of beer and Pop and crisps for kids would be a step up! Take the pressure off that one outlet. Get some more of those on site structures in use. 

That dead speedway area in the corner would make a great little fanzone! 

The biggest stream on the popular side seemed to be seeping out from the gents unfortunately. 

It seems to me Barrow and Haven (Who adapted quickly) have created/nurtured a good blend of players, local with some overseas and/or experienced which we lack. While we have some very good players too many are young inexperienced players chucked in the deep end. To stick with what we have come what may this season ( Injuries, disciplinary etc) would suggest to me an acceptance of a quick return to league 1. Chris is good but he's not a miracle worker. 

Maybe the lack of a BoD and Chairman hamstrung us a bit and things may change now? Its not too late.

3 hours ago, Dave W said:

I've always had a soft spot for DP, but the club need to put more effort into capitalising on larger crowds: Too few income streams in the ground. Just a trestle table selling plastic bottles of beer and Pop and crisps for kids would be a step up! Take the pressure off that one outlet. Get some more of those on site structures in use. 

The biggest stream on the popular side seemed to be seeping out from the gents unfortunately. 

I think we all can see the failings at our ground, unfortunately we are in a position where we need to spend £30-40k a season just to comply with regs so we can actually use it, and thats basically dead money, leaving sod all in the to make any progress.

1 hour ago, DocH said:

It seems to me Barrow and Haven (Who adapted quickly) have created/nurtured a good blend of players, local with some overseas and/or experienced which we lack. While we have some very good players too many are young inexperienced players chucked in the deep end. To stick with what we have come what may this season ( Injuries, disciplinary etc) would suggest to me an acceptance of a quick return to league 1. Chris is good but he's not a miracle worker. 

Maybe the lack of a BoD and Chairman hamstrung us a bit and things may change now? Its not too late.

Though its definitely true of Barrow I`m not sure it is of Haven. Last season they were dreadful to begin with based on a mainly local squad and only picked up when they swapped out locals for travellers and overseas players.

8 hours ago, Dave W said:

I do agree with your points and there are loads of things Town could do to make more money- more merchandise and pies etc for sale on the popular side, the fan zone area as you mentioned, possibly use the balcony and room on the Town end of the popular side as a sort of executive box etc etc and charge it out...

All very easy to suggest..... then you remember we are a small semi pro club that relies on volunteers for all such outlets including manning them, setting them up, tidying up afterwards. Very easy to suggest on an Internet forum but harder to organise and implement in reality. UTT.

3 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

I do agree with your points and there are loads of things Town could do to make more money- more merchandise and pies etc for sale on the popular side, the fan zone area as you mentioned, possibly use the balcony and room on the Town end of the popular side as a sort of executive box etc etc and charge it out...

All very easy to suggest..... then you remember we are a small semi pro club that relies on volunteers for all such outlets including manning them, setting them up, tidying up afterwards. Very easy to suggest on an Internet forum but harder to organise and implement in reality. UTT.

I'm sure Town would listen to any ideas of making money but like you say it takes people to man these areas, something that town are always short off. UTT

21 hours ago, dkw said:

Though its definitely true of Barrow I`m not sure it is of Haven. Last season they were dreadful to begin with based on a mainly local squad and only picked up when they swapped out locals for travellers and overseas players.

Thats the point i was trying to make ie I think you need the right blend of players which we don't have. We have too many inexperienced locals? 

1 hour ago, DocH said:

Thats the point i was trying to make ie I think you need the right blend of players which we don't have. We have too many inexperienced locals? 

I agree, and I expect Chris does too. I think this builds into most of us feeling we got promoted a season too early for this squad.

6 hours ago, dkw said:

most of us feeling we got promoted a season too early for this squad.

Yeah this seems to be the general feeling. We do however have a core of locals with very good potential so hopefully we can hang onto them if we go down and the future could be bright. 

Not sure I buy into the argument that we got promoted a year early . We were top or second all year and deserved to go up as one of the best two sides . Whenever you go up it’s still gonna be a leap in standards for the players , the league is really moving on .  And ultimately it’s an unfortunate reality that whenever we went up it would be a struggle financially , and attracting players is linked into that . It’s a big big step up , especially if you can’t strengthen that much . Nothing has been a surprise so far tbh , it’s utterly relentless but I’d still take it to what we’ve been watching . 

I think the thing about last year was we finished 2nd with 21pts , Hunslet finished 6th with 21pts , we were 2nd on %pts per games played , so basically the top 6 were pretty  competitive , i think any of the Clubs promoted with Barrow would have struggled this season .

6 hours ago, dkw said:

Going up n the play offs makes it even harder as we were about 4 weeks behind everyone else in squad building, including barra. I know we lost at least 2 players because of this.

I agree it will have hampered our plans and no doubt we will have missed out on one or two. But we've been hearing about 2 or 3 incoming signings for weeks now. And we are no nearer to hearing anything? Must be hard to attract players to a relegation battle, never mind being in West Cumbria 

Archived