Sheffield

DavidM

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, town4me said:

The problem is that the spending barrow have just done is unsustainable in this county. Good for their fans while it lasts though 

Take a good look at barrow mate there money is made on putting events on at the ground. Carnt be successful on gate receipts a loan big advantage owning your own ground. 

13 minutes ago, town2018 said:

Well barrow showed tonight you need to break the bank to stay in this league and have that xfactor throughout there squad they may just make the playoffs with ease like the 2 loan signings they made this week were 2 very good impact forwards so why weren't they picked up by us as we've lacked forwards and they would fit the bill 

I'm not sure that Barrow have actually broke the bank to assemble the squad that they have at present, and this is with no  disrespect to the Town board, but over the past two years the Barrow board have worked so hard in improving the off field promotion of the club, they put that big screen up in the new marques and had also sorts of different events on prior to the season starting, and also held private party's ect when the covid restrictions allowed them to, deals on meals when doing the early bird tickets on match days, i think this is why they can now afford to build the squad they have at present. it would be a great model to try and copy. 

8 minutes ago, Butch said:

Take a good look at barrow mate there money is made on putting events on at the ground. Carnt be successful on gate receipts a loan big advantage owning your own ground. 

Enjoy it mate you deserve it for being good fans but if you think them players came from money from events alone and one player In particular then thats upto yourself. Enjoy it. 

9 hours ago, JMB said:

I'm not sure that Barrow have actually broke the bank to assemble the squad that they have at present, and this is with no  disrespect to the Town board, but over the past two years the Barrow board have worked so hard in improving the off field promotion of the club, they put that big screen up in the new marques and had also sorts of different events on prior to the season starting, and also held private party's ect when the covid restrictions allowed them to, deals on meals when doing the early bird tickets on match days, i think this is why they can now afford to build the squad they have at present. it would be a great model to try and copy. 

I thought Barrow were so superior last night, on that showing they could be in with a shout of winning it along with Fev and Leigh. I thought Widnes were disappointing and would have been toothless without Robey who was class. They won't be challenging come the end of the season going by that showing. Only Positive from a Town perspective is that a few more Barrow fans might turn up on Sunday to make up for the Townies that deffo won't be going after watching that. 🙈

Fully agree with people being baffled by some of the tackle resets when no clear foul committed and fussy refs , my main gripe is refs letting the wrestle go on too long when the player is`nt making ground , which leads to niggle and players playing the ball walking forward into the defender when doing so . Usually the defender gates penalised !

2 hours ago, Route66 said:

On a side note is there any reason that the club has stopped giving out attendance figures this season ,on the main forum all are on except town, even haven with their disappointing 764

Disappointing 🤔 they'll be delighted with that. 😎Don't know why we don't announce ours but they've all looked healthy so far, even the last 2 where there were hardly any away fans. Might not stay healthy for much longer if we don't get our finger out. 

11 hours ago, town4me said:

Enjoy it mate you deserve it for being good fans but if you think them players came from money from events alone and one player In particular then thats upto yourself. Enjoy it. 

Would you like a little cheese with that whine? May I respectfully suggest you wind your neck back in and sort your own club out before you start sniping at others?

To start off with:

• Most of the squad are Cumbrian
  • Barrow has double the gate receipts of Workington
  • We have a functional supporters association that raises a lot of money for ground improvements and player recruitment
  • We have a successful lottery that's been going over 40 years
  • Special promotions and events attracting several hundred people to the ground so it gets used other than just match days

Plus, it's very easy to spend your money when you're in the ground nowadays: food outlets and bars on three sides mean smaller queues and greater flow of customers. Volunteers at every entrance selling draw tickets, guess the score etc

By way of contrast: I came up to Workington last year to watch the Keighley playoff game. Big crowd, great atmosphere. Very hard to spend money.

• No-one tried to sell me a half time draw ticket. Never saw anyone selling them. Result: an extra couple of quid that never went into the Workington coffers
  • Only one food outlet with queues in one corner of the ground opposite to where most people were standing. Result: an extra couple of quid that never went into the Workington coffers.
  • Can't even buy a Haigh's pie anymore. 

There are a lot of little things that Workington could do a hell of a lot better and it's these little things that add up to quite a lot.

33 minutes ago, Dave W said:

Would you like a little cheese with that whine? May I respectfully suggest you wind your neck back in and sort your own club out before you start sniping at others?

To start off with:

• We have a functional supporters association that raises a lot of money for ground improvements and player recruitment
  • Special promotions and events attracting several hundred people to the ground so it gets used other than just match days

Plus, it's very easy to spend your money when you're in the ground nowadays: food outlets and bars on three sides mean smaller queues and greater flow of customers. Volunteers at every entrance selling draw tickets, guess the score etc

By way of contrast: I came up to Workington last year to watch the Keighley playoff game. Big crowd, great atmosphere. Very hard to spend money.

• No-one tried to sell me a half time draw ticket. Never saw anyone selling them. Result: an extra couple of quid that never went into the Workington coffers
  • Only one food outlet with queues in one corner of the ground opposite to where most people were standing. Result: an extra couple of quid that never went into the Workington coffers.

There are a lot of little things that Workington could do a hell of a lot better and it's these little things that add up to quite a lot.

On top of all that a bloody good win away against Widnes.

Well Done Barra.

Whatever Barra are doing they’re doing it outstandingly  well , can’t knock it like . Getting promoted and getting as tooled up as they have for a rock hard league , then taking that onto the pitch and delivering . Kudos 

15 hours ago, Kaz said:

Just hope next week we have Curtis Teare marking Tee Ritson. Sunday everything went down our right side against clegg & young, and they could not deal with it, never mind tee ritson . 

Yeah Ritson is a worry but Miloudi is an even bigger worry. Widnes (big fan of Holroyd but he was lost last night) couldn't cope with him and Bickerstaffe got mullered on Sunday by the Sheffield centre so i'd be more likely to put Teare at centre and tell him under no circumstances do you let him mug you with the feint inside then go outside trick.

4 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Fully agree with people being baffled by some of the tackle resets when no clear foul committed and fussy refs , my main gripe is refs letting the wrestle go on too long when the player is`nt making ground , which leads to niggle and players playing the ball walking forward into the defender when doing so . Usually the defender gates penalised !

i'm there to watch the players not continually watch the ref to see if he's wiped the tackle count down! 

2 hours ago, homeandawayer said:

Yeah Ritson is a worry but Miloudi is an even bigger worry. Widnes (big fan of Holroyd but he was lost last night) couldn't cope with him and Bickerstaffe got mullered on Sunday by the Sheffield centre so i'd be more likely to put Teare at centre and tell him under no circumstances do you let him mug you with the feint inside then go outside trick.

Both centres got caught out Sunday big time, having said that probably hardest position to defend,  absolutely agree its Miloudi we need to stop, all Tee's tries, as well as he took them were made by his centre. Think i would have scored playing outside him....well maybe not these days

20 minutes ago, Onreport said:

Both centres got caught out Sunday big time, having said that probably hardest position to defend,  absolutely agree its Miloudi we need to stop, all Tee's tries, as well as he took them were made by his centre. Think i would have scored playing outside him....well maybe not these days

I am sure that an acrobatic dive into the corner is not beyond you mate.

6 hours ago, Dave W said:

To start off with:

Don't like to admit it but your spot on - sometimes hard to spend cash at DP - especially on the popular side.

On 07/03/2022 at 21:57, Kaz said:

Just hope next week we have Curtis Teare marking Tee Ritson. Sunday everything went down our right side against clegg & young, and they could not deal with it, never mind tee ritson . 

I just hope next week they have the whole team with machine guns to stand half a chance 😜

42 minutes ago, Sticklebricks said:

I just hope next week they have the whole team with machine guns to stand half a chance 😜

I was amazed with the amount of tip tackles going on in Monday night's game. After losing Kane for 3 games I would hope the fun boy 3 are busy handing out more bans this week......or will they 🤔

Archived