The best Cross-Code Players XIII

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ricky Stuart started off in RU. Wouldn't be a bad option for 7. If just having played RU is the qualification you can also have Gary Connolly, Henry Paul, RTS, Benji Marshall, Wendell Sailor, Mark Gasnier.. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1.J.Davies

2.M.Offiah

3.D.Messenger

4.V.Tuigamala

5.B.Boston

6.A.Summons

7.R.Stuart

8.J.Mills

9.J.Gray

10.R.Mossop

11.A.Perelini

12.E.Koloto

13.R.Price

I’ve only included players who came from the dark side.

A lot of competition in the backs, harder to find real contenders in the forwards. Here's a tentative selection:

Fullback: Puig-Aubert
Wings: Billy Boston & Martin Offiah
Centres: Inga & Jiffy
Halfbacks: Arthur Summons, Ricky Stuart
Hooker: Craig Gower, maybe?
Props: Apollo Perelini, Scott Quinnell (in his last RL season form)
Second Rows: Jean Galia, Dave Valentine
Loose Forward: Ray Price

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sure Saints signed a Union prop in the 60s. Name does not come to mind but think he was from Coventry and answered an advert in the paper

if team short of forwards could include Stuart Evans (Wales RU late 80s) and Fasavalu (Samoa)

Scott Gibbs in the centre ?

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

1.J.Davies

2.M.Offiah

3.D.Messenger

4.V.Tuigamala

5.B.Boston

6.A.Summons

7.R.Stuart

8.J.Mills

9.J.Gray

10.R.Mossop

11.A.Perelini

12.E.Koloto

13.R.Price

I’ve only included players who came from the dark side.

Very good selections

10 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Ray French ?

I think you have to make a distinction between people who signed from RU but grew up in RL areas and those with no prior direct exposure to the game.

2 hours ago, headtackle said:

Sure Saints signed a Union prop in the 60s. Name does not come to mind but think he was from Coventry and answered an advert in the paper

if team short of forwards could include Stuart Evans (Wales RU late 80s) and Fasavalu (Samoa)

Scott Gibbs in the centre ?

I think you would have to be very short before including Stuart Evans. I could never understand how he was on the pitch  and it looked like he had the same opinion

I’m only doing players that started in union and came over. Rather than people like Robinson or Farrell who went the other way

1/ Davies

2/ Offiah

3/ Tuigamala

4/ Boston

5/ Van Vollenhoven

6/ Jones

7/  Botica

8/ Watson

9/ Stuart

10/ Mills

11/ Quinnell

12/ Mantle

13/ Price

Had to shoe horn Offiah Boston and TVV in somehow. 

How does "League to Union back to League then back to Union" fit in ? If you're looking for a forward, then Brad Thorn is your man :-

1994-2000 Three premierships with the Brisbane Broncos, SoO and Kangaroo caps

2001-2004 To Union with Canterbury in NZ - 12 All-Black caps - played in 2003 RUWC

2005-2007 Back to the Broncos, another Premiership in 2006. He also played all three SoO games for Queensland in 2005

2008-2015 - back to Union, another Super Rugby title, RUWC winner in 2011 - won the Heineken Cup with Leinster in 2012

That's some career.......

32 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Why 

Because it’s a very different proposition.Ray French as an example watched Saints from a young age,played touch in the street n park,probably played for his primary school and maybe some amateur RL as a teenager.So familiar with the game and of course the region.

A Welsh convert needed to move geographically to an area he was unfamiliar with to play a game that he’d probably only ever seen on TV.

1 John Gallagher 

2 Gareth Thomas

3 Luther Burrell 

4  Steve Diamond

5 Jim Fallon/Nigel Heslop

6 Gary Pearce

7 Terry Holmes

8 Stuart Evans

9 Paul John

10 Tony D'Arcy/Dai Young

11 Shem Tatupu

12 Garrick Morgan

13 Andy Powell 

Coach: Balmain legend Alan Jones would surely get a tune out of this star studded lineup. 

Archived