6. Henry Paul

7. Kevin Ellis

8. Roland Phillips

9. Craig Gower

10. Scott Quinnell

11. Sonny Bill Williams

12. Andy Farrell (C)

13. Sam Burgess

Coach: Shaun Edwards (says he signed the deal, and can't wait to get going........)

Difficult emissions and released from their contract are:

Tevita Vaikona

Wendell Sailor

Lote Tuiquri

Israel Folau

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, headtackle said:

Sure Saints signed a Union prop in the 60s. Name does not come to mind but think he was from Coventry and answered an advert in the paper

if team short of forwards could include Stuart Evans (Wales RU late 80s) and Fasavalu (Samoa)

Scott Gibbs in the centre ?

I forgot about Maurie Fa'asavalu and just wiki him and he had a good career in both codes and it all started at the 2003 RWC.

23 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I’m only doing players that started in union and came over. Rather than people like Robinson or Farrell who went the other way

1/ Davies

2/ Offiah

3/ Tuigamala

4/ Boston

5/ Van Vollenhoven

6/ Jones

7/  Botica

8/ Watson

9/ Stuart

10/ Mills

11/ Quinnell

12/ Mantle

13/ Price

Had to shoe horn Offiah Boston and TVV in somehow. 

How can you just “shoehorn”  Boston and Van Vollenhoven into any team?

8 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

How can you just “shoehorn”  Boston and Van Vollenhoven into any team?

Well there’s Boston Van vollenhoven and Offiah and only two wing spots. So I was forced to put Boston to centre only because he would be more comfortable there than the other two. I’m pretty sure Boston would’ve been devastating where ever you put him. 

15 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Well there’s Boston Van vollenhoven and Offiah and only two wing spots. So I was forced to put Boston to centre only because he would be more comfortable there than the other two. I’m pretty sure Boston would’ve been devastating where ever you put him. 

Boston could play centre (left centre in 1958 Challenge Cup Final and right centre in the 1960 Championship Final) but looking more carefully at your team you have Offiah on the right wing and Van Vollenhoven on the left. It should be the other way round so Boston playing centre to Offiah is definitely not a bad option.

6 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Didn't he sign with another Samoan?

Dominic Feaunati: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/player-admits-biting-boy-3-3537657 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you are talking about players that achieved the most in both codes, not necessarily the best in the world, but performed at an incredible level, won numerous championships etc etc then I would say you have to mention Brad Thorn. (Admittedly he achieved much more in Onion)

On a similar tip, Maurie Fa'asavalu.

Shaun Edwards?

I always though Scott gibbs looked a natural in a saints top.

If you forget about his England Onion career, and just think about what he did at Gloucester, Henry paul.

Thevtwo best ever for me have to be Robinson and Tuigamala. RIP Inga.

•  

From Wales in my era:

Jonathan Davies

Phil Ford

Scott Gibbs

Allan Bateman 

John Bevan

David Watkins

Kevin Ellis

Jim Mills

Tony Fisher

Rowland Phillips

Paul Moriarty

Brian Juliff

Kel Coslett

John Mantle, Dai Young, Roy Matthias, John Devereux

Apologies to those not brought to mind.

Apologies to all the great wingers I've had to leave out.

If only Mark Ring hadn't changed his mind. He'd have been a sensation.

Pity it's not ice hockey rules; we could have brought Bobby Wanbon, Mark Jones and Mike Nicholas on just for the fights. 😉

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

21 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Scrum half options could include Jonathon Griffiths (Saints) or Terry Holmes (Bradford)

seem to remember Holmes’ debut lasting about 10 minutes before someone broke his jaw

Or Kevin Ellis, decent player when he joined Warrington with Bateman and an underwhelming Roland Phillips. Ellis played for GB a couple of times as well I think

14 hours ago, HullWire said:

Or Kevin Ellis, decent player when he joined Warrington with Bateman and an underwhelming Roland Phillips. Ellis played for GB a couple of times as well I think

Rowland Phillips didn't fit in at Warrington. He was outstanding at Workington.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 03/03/2022 at 23:00, koli said:

Because it’s a very different proposition.Ray French as an example watched Saints from a young age,played touch in the street n park,probably played for his primary school and maybe some amateur RL as a teenager.So familiar with the game and of course the region.

A Welsh convert needed to move geographically to an area he was unfamiliar with to play a game that he’d probably only ever seen on TV.

Your just complicating the question.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

18 hours ago, headtackle said:

Scrum half options could include Jonathon Griffiths (Saints) or Terry Holmes (Bradford)

seem to remember Holmes’ debut lasting about 10 minutes before someone broke his jaw

In the best cross code players xiii????

He was useless. 

1 minute ago, headtackle said:

I fully agree.  Most of the converts were

No. Some were very good indeed: Bateman, J Davies, Offiah, Tait, Gibbs, Stuart, O'Connor, Tuigamala, Ridge, Halligan, Botica were all quality.

Loads of others were also far from useless. 

Archived