The best Cross-Code Players XIII

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, TheFlash said:

No. Some were very good indeed: Bateman, J Davies, Offiah, Tait, Gibbs, Stuart, O'Connor, Tuigamala, Ridge, Halligan, Botica were all quality.

Loads of others were also far from useless. 

Halligan, thank you. Thought he was. Like Botica an immense kicker.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Alan Buckley (Swinton and Great Britain) , Broughton Park to Swinton, was a great left centre. In his prime blisteringly quick,skillful ,with a bone shaking defence.   Was a guest on  Reg Gasnier's This is your life on Australian tv. Alan's Swinton and Great Britain partner on the wing was John Stopford ( not dual code) was the only player to score a hat trick against Vollenhoven, and he did it twice.

32 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Craig Innes was a fantastic convert from the All Blacks

I would agree with you. I didn't include him on the list of "very good" RL players above, simply because he never made the Kiwis team, so I always wondered if he had come up a bit short and maybe I had forgotten some weakness in his game. I always wondered why he never made the national team. 

Enjoying this thread.   Some blasts from the past

Miss all the old transfer rumours and signings  

Turning up to see a big name convert was always fun especially as with much less tv coverage many of them were relatively unknown to us

Doug Laughton seemed to be keenest at cross code signings   

On 09/03/2022 at 22:35, TheFlash said:

I would agree with you. I didn't include him on the list of "very good" RL players above, simply because he never made the Kiwis team, so I always wondered if he had come up a bit short and maybe I had forgotten some weakness in his game. I always wondered why he never made the national team. 

I always felt there was a bit of arrogance from the kiwi selectors in not picking the likes of Innes and Inga for the kiwis, partly due to them playing their RL in England.

Innes of course win a GF with Manly after walking out on Leeds.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

2 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Innes of course win a GF with Manly after walking out on Leeds.

I actually thought he had got to the final as Minor Premiers but lost. (Memory issues!) Agree he was a very good player - as were IMO a number of others whom I didn't list.

My effort at a British RL cross code team:

1. George Fairbairn

2. Keith Fielding

3. Ian Ball

4. Alan Tait

5. Martin Offiah

6. Jonathan Davies

7. Jonathan Griffiths

8. Jim Mills

9. David Bishop

10. Cliff Watson

11. Glyn Shaw

12. Scott Quinnell

13. John Mantle

Really struggled for a 9.

22 hours ago, AJK66 said:

My effort at a British RL cross code team:

1. George Fairbairn

2. Keith Fielding

3. Ian Ball

4. Alan Tait

5. Martin Offiah

6. Jonathan Davies

7. Jonathan Griffiths

8. Jim Mills

9. David Bishop

10. Cliff Watson

11. Glyn Shaw

12. Scott Quinnell

13. John Mantle

Really struggled for a 9.

If we're looking for a 9 to play in competitive scrums, John Gray would be my choice.  Using the role of a 9 as it is today, how about Mike Lampkowski?

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

12 hours ago, latchford albion said:

If we're looking for a 9 to play in competitive scrums, John Gray would be my choice.  Using the role of a 9 as it is today, how about Mike Lampkowski?

Agreed! Excellent choices both. I completely forgot about John Gray.

4 hours ago, AJK66 said:

Agreed! Excellent choices both. I completely forgot about John Gray.

I remember him well but didn't know till now that he also played cricket for warwickshire.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

21 hours ago, latchford albion said:

Lampkowski was great for Wakefield at 7 and 13, fearless and strong as an ox.  Modern day number 9 ? Quite possibly.  Another RU convert who gave great service to Wakefield Trinity at centre and stand off was Keith Smith, classy player and decent goalkicker.

Love reading and remembering a lot of these names but the great thing is thinking about those players that directly influenced you or your individual club at a particular time in your life, not household names but from welsh rugby union to workington town Ray Wilkins and Lynn Hopkins, just too young to remember another that my dad talks of Ken Goodhall ,Ireland and British lions.

I can also recall the week that haven splashed all their cash on Rob Ackerman 

3 hours ago, EggFace said:

Stephen Myler who came from a Rugby League playing family but didn't set the world of fir in League but did very well for Northampton Saint's in Union.

He's still playing for the Ospreys.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Archived