Whitehaven away in the cup.

spanishknight

3 hours ago, AB Knight said:

I’m not a coach just a fan with very limited experience of playing the game but it almost seems like we’ve headed to Whitehaven in recent years and not shown enough respect  

I've had three hour drive home to digest what I watched today. I still can't get my head around it. Haven are a decent side but we made them look like world beaters, particularly in the 20 minutes up to half time. Half back partnership didn't work and looked better when Brendan came on but the game was pretty much gone by then. There were mitigating circumstances - losing Ronan Michael early, the injury to Joe Porter as he was beginning to show, three ridiculously unfortunate ricochets ( let's face it, if you concede from one in a game, it's unlucky!) and some very odd interpretation of the six again rule which only seemed to apply to one team.

Poor Jubby, sat at the side of me!  He said that to win there, a team needs mental strength and attitude. I thought one or two players went missing at important times today.

Whitehaven were the better team, thoroughly deserved their win and best of luck to them in the next round but we handed it to them on a plate.

I should never expect at The Recre. Really thought we would win that today.

Lots of food for thought for the coaching team for next week's game.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, andyacko said:

I've had three hour drive home to digest what I watched today. I still can't get my head around it. Haven are a decent side but we made them look like world beaters, particularly in the 20 minutes up to half time. Half back partnership didn't work and looked better when Brendan came on but the game was pretty much gone by then. There were mitigating circumstances - losing Ronan Michael early, the injury to Joe Porter as he was beginning to show, three ridiculously unfortunate ricochets ( let's face it, if you concede from one in a game, it's unlucky!) and some very odd interpretation of the six again rule which only seemed to apply to one team.

Poor Jubby, sat at the side of me!  He said that to win there, a team needs mental strength and attitude. I thought one or two players went missing at important times today.

Whitehaven were the better team, thoroughly deserved their win and best of luck to them in the next round but we handed it to them on a plate.

Thank you Andy, a good and fair post as always.

I reckon we could be in Super League and draw Whitehaven away and they'd still turn us over. 

I do get the impression Fordy wanted out of the cup looking at the team selections in both matches, last year the cup run did us more harm than good as we ended up playing 4 extra games, all ifs and buts I know but had they been league wins they would have seen us comfortably in the play-offs. 

Marshy playing halfback then interchange hooker, while first choice hooker was sat doing radio analysis is just odd. Still should have had enough to be better than that scoreline though but well done Whitehaven, hope they get a good draw in the next round.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

47 minutes ago, Simon Hall said:

I reckon we could be in Super League and draw Whitehaven away and they'd still turn us over. 

I do get the impression Fordy wanted out of the cup looking at the team selections in both matches, last year the cup run did us more harm than good as we ended up playing 4 extra games, all ifs and buts I know but had they been league wins they would have seen us comfortably in the play-offs. 

Marshy playing halfback then interchange hooker, while first choice hooker was sat doing radio analysis is just odd. Still should have had enough to be better than that scoreline though but well done Whitehaven, hope they get a good draw in the next round.

Don't think you're far off with that impression Simon. Yesterday reminded me of a match at the Crescent a few years back, 1895 cup v Batley. It was obvious then that Fordy didn't take it 100% seriously cos he rested a few players and Batley turned us over and progressed to the semis. Very different to last year when a full strength side was selected for each round and the 1895 was taken very seriously. Even if these impressions are only partially correct they dont help the loyal Knights fans who travelled up yesterday expecting a closely fought cup match. I dont wish to comment further on the Matty to halfback scenarios, I've made my thoughts clear before on that one.

3 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

I agree with all that S.H. apart from Fordy wanting out of the Cup. I think he thought the team he picked was good enough to win the game. Now he knows it wasn't. As you say, we still should have had enough to be better than that score line.

17 minutes ago, Clarence Street said:

I agree with all that S.H. apart from Fordy wanting out of the Cup. I think he thought the team he picked was good enough to win the game. Now he knows it wasn't. As you say, we still should have had enough to be better than that score line.

Once I saw that team I said we're going to get beat why have BOH on the bench, Marsh at halfback and Harrison at F.B. why not have Harrison on the bench.

Its my fault, I am a jinx. 

The first time I ever went to Whitehaven was in 1981 we had just won the league and we got turned over. I have been to Whitehaven for every game since except one.

The only time we beaten Whitehaven at the Recreation Ground in 40 years !!

1 hour ago, GaryHall said:

The first time I ever went to Whitehaven was in 1981 we had just won the league and we got turned over. I have been to Whitehaven for every game since except one.

I hope they ban you for life lol

1 hour ago, GaryHall said:

Look forward to seeing you in June 😂

23 hours ago, Fax Knight said:

I know 'Haven away is a tough fixture, but losing by this margin to a team that so far have only beaten (with the greatest respect to them) Dewsbury and the Broncos is a poor show.  So now we've missed out on potentially financially lucrative cup games. I think we really over performed in our first year in the Championship.  A lot of games were won by a few points and, as I've stated before, we have never replaced Cockayne and Horne who between them were often the difference.  The following covid-ravaged season saw us lose all our opening games and last season saw far more poor performances than good.  We are slowly consolidating as a mid-tier Championship side.  Which considering where we were a few short years ago isn't bad.  Not quite sure how we become a top Championship team without a cash injection.  Money talks in any pro-sport.  On a separate note, our new Chairman seems to have gone quiet?  

Thought the knights tried last season with cuthbertson to bring the experience of Horne,but was a complete waste of time and money,still think we have 3 good half backs and 2 great fullbacks at the club,but you are right if we want to become a team that challenges at the top of the championship we need to grow our fan base to the likes of Bradford,Leigh and now Featherstone to be able to compete,don't think you can have a go at our chairman has only just arrived at the club and maybe doing a lot of things behind the scenes,could get Sharon or Andy to do a interview him and ask how things are going in the first few weeks?

20 hours ago, andyacko said:

Andy why did we go with one hooker into the game did Jubby get injured in the warm up or just not selected?

31 minutes ago, Puk said:

Thought the knights tried last season with cuthbertson to bring the experience of Horne,but was a complete waste of time and money,still think we have 3 good half backs and 2 great fullbacks at the club,but you are right if we want to become a team that challenges at the top of the championship we need to grow our fan base to the likes of Bradford,Leigh and now Featherstone to be able to compete,don't think you can have a go at our chairman has only just arrived at the club and maybe doing a lot of things behind the scenes,could get Sharon or Andy to do a interview him and ask how things are going in the first few weeks?

How come cuthbertson can perform week in week out for fev , something doesn't add up.

1 hour ago, Puk said:

Andy why did we go with one hooker into the game did Jubby get injured in the warm up or just not selected?

Jubby was named on the team sheet but I was told it would be either Jubby or Brendan and it was Brendan who played. To the best of my knowledge Jubby was rested.

4 hours ago, GaryHall said:

Just think of the money you could make Gary if you put a Saints shirt on and turn up at the Rece for the cup match. The Haven fans would reward you for turning up as rent a Jonah! 

25 minutes ago, andyacko said:

What we'd have given yesterday for a bit of what Scotty's producing tonight for the Bulls.

Spot on Andy. Compared to Scotty's efforts tonight we were as soft as the brown stuff yesterday. Some of our players need to up their game or be dropped. 

Archived