Match thread: Challenge Cup Rd5. Batley v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 13th March 2022.

marklaspalmas

Five out of five in the league, and focus now switches back to the Challenge Cup.

It's never easy at the Mount but a win here would put us into both the last 16 of the Cup against (Probably) a Super League club AND into the semi finals (or if we're unlucky a playoff for the semis) of the 1895 Cup.

Big match then.

Who'll be in? Who'll be out? Or same 17?

Hopefully whatever kept Bussey from returning v Fax won't stop him being available.

No sign quite yet of any of our longer term abstentees being reday, but heartening words on comms from Kopczak about his progress to full fitness.

Is there a way back in for Chizzy & Sherlock in the halves?

Shake the forwards up a bit?

#destinationwhitehartlane

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were a couple of comments in the Man Of The Match thread for the Fax league game that said that quite a few individual players had gone well but collectively we weren't very good.

I thought the same, and was trying to work out why, and whether the blame lay with our halves, or whether we just weren't deep enough or quick enough on shift plays - Fax defenders seemed to arrive at the same time as the ball on multiple occasions, especially on our right hand side.

I'd definitely like to see Chisholm back on sunday, I know he was a bit quiet in the Cup game at Fax but we usually seem to play faster and with more urgency when he's on the field. Mac said he "rested" Chissy so he could "have a look" at Jacks for the Fax game so the door is presumably open for his return.

Trouble is, if we bring him back, it either means ditching Jacks after one game (his first for months), and making him wait for another opportunity, or dropping Smith, who has been solid and not done much wrong.

I guess one of the downsides of having at least four credible starters at half back is you want to give them all a chance, and risk not getting consistency and fluency...Holmes still waiting in the wings too.

Think we need to be better against Batley, it's likely to be a very tough game on Sunday.

Good summing up.I was not impressed by Jacks contribution on Sunday but he may need 3 to 4 games before he is properly match fit and gets used to our play.Well documented that Chizzy is one of my favourite players and he does add to the attack so i would like to see him in the team.Smith could play 9 with Jones off the bench as he seems to be more effective when not doing a full 90 min.On reflection both our wingers played well on Sunday apart from Gale dropping the ball when the defence opened up for him but both had sound games.

13 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Smith could play 9 with Jones off the bench as he seems to be more effective when not doing a full 90 min.On reflection both our wingers played well on Sunday apart from Gale dropping the ball when the defence opened up for him but both had sound games.

Wildie might get a ban for his late hit so a move to hooker for Smith might be a possible the week after if not this week, unless Mac is keen to stick with him at half back.

I think Briscoe and Gale have been good for the last few matches, they consistently make those yards after contact which turns a 5 or 6 yard run into a 10 or 11-yard run.

One of our issues last year I'd suggest was a lack of consistency at half back (and hooker) as Webbo didn't seem to be able to decide on a best combination and give them time to regularly play together. 

Whoever is deemed to be the best combination this year, I hope gets a settled run in the team, at least towards the end of the season. 

Back to the weekend: I'd certainly play Jacks again as he needs match fitness. Possibly time to rest Morgan and give either Chizzy or Holmes a run out. If be quite happy with either tbh. Beyond that, I'd suspect a bit more rotation in the forwards. Given the game time they got last week, it doesnt feel like Trout or Ferres are top of the list in terms of Mac's preferred players, so perhaps another chance for Field or McConnell to step in. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Good summing up.I was not impressed by Jacks contribution on Sunday but he may need 3 to 4 games before he is properly match fit and gets used to our play.Well documented that Chizzy is one of my favourite players and he does add to the attack so i would like to see him in the team.Smith could play 9 with Jones off the bench as he seems to be more effective when not doing a full 90 min.On reflection both our wingers played well on Sunday apart from Gale dropping the ball when the defence opened up for him but both had sound games.

Agree with all that

On 09/03/2022 at 11:26, gazza77 said:

r McConnell to step in. 

No whinos reserves this week so we get to pick from the full 21 man squad

Seems like we're okay for "grafting" forwards in the mould of Lockwood, Cooper, Davies etc. but a bit thin on the ground for "dynamic" forwards with Moors, JSL, perhaps Bussey, Kopczak unavailable. With that being said, I think we need as much of a spark in the backs as possible and that Chisholm needs to play. With how we've been defending, two bits of magic could be all that's needed to win a game.

Maybe put Chizzy in at full back? I like pickersgill but he lacks a bit of size/speed for me.

I’d give Jacks another go but keep Smith as other half back as he’s shown the most consistenty amongst all so far this year.

be interesting how joey gets on - as said on the sportsman channel today by Craig Linguard not many of those Aussies will have played sonewhere quite like Batley and the hill before

looking forward to the game - always enjoy a visit to the Mount

On 09/03/2022 at 11:10, The Phantom Horseman said:

Wildie might get a ban for his late hit

• Matt Wildie (Featherstone) – Grade B Late Hit on Passer – 1 Match Penalty Notice

11 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Matty Wildie out with a one match ban.

Chizz & Jacks in the halves with Smith rotating with Jones at AHB.

Let's see how that goes, eh?

NOT this week M he can appeal his ban but not till next tuesday so can play in cup but if unsuccessful with an appeal banned for game week after

23 minutes ago, POR said:

NOT this week M he can appeal his ban but not till next tuesday so can play in cup but if unsuccessful with an appeal banned for game week after

Ta.

I like my formula for next week's league match then. I'd liuke to see how Smith's tackling stands up to a stint in the middles.

As we were for the Cup. Wildie & Jones at AHB. I'd still like to see Chizz in the halves.

33 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Ta.

I like my formula for next week's league match then. I'd liuke to see how Smith's tackling stands up to a stint in the middles.

As we were for the Cup. Wildie & Jones at AHB. I'd still like to see Chizz in the halves.

MAYBE play jacks in the middles apparently In his 12 matches for Melbourne, he was described statistically as the best defensive five-eighth in the NRL

1 hour ago, POR said:

MAYBE play jacks in the middles apparently In his 12 matches for Melbourne, he was described statistically as the best defensive five-eighth in the NRL

I didnt know that. There's another option then. His tackling looked solid last Sunday. The roles seem pretty interchangeable these days for many halves and hookers

9 minutes ago, haskey said:

Typical Rugby League, went onto Match Centre for RL and got a blank screen. Team not announced by McD yet ???

Perhaps you are looking at next week's league fixture, not this week's cup fixture?

NO tweet with the squad list from the club yet though.

7 minutes ago, haskey said:

Typical Rugby League, went onto Match Centre for RL and got a blank screen. Team not announced by McD yet ???

The blank screen is on match centre championship 19 man squad on match centre challenge cup

Archived