Match thread: Challenge Cup Rd5. Batley v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 13th March 2022.

marklaspalmas

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SQUAD NEWS | Head Coach Brian McDermott has named an unchanged side ahead of the Rovers’ trip to @BatleyRLFC this Sunday. So looks like it's down to BM who he RESTS

Looking forward to the game and think we will win with a few points to spare.Although in Cup matches  1 is enough.Went to watch Giants yesterday and enjoyed the game,they have some promising young players and it was a pleasure to see them beat C_S.My daughter is a Giants supporter home and away and had a free ticket.They went to Batley for a pre season friendly 2 adults and 2 teenagers but on reaching the ground found it was cash entry or pre bought tickets only.They asked if they could pay by card but apparently the card readers were not working.A director came down and said they could go in and send a cheque to the club later.What fantastic customer service from a very welcoming and well run Championship club.

Thanks for the link POR.

I can't make the game this afternoon but will be free from about 5pm. I would like to watch the full game and avoid the score. Do you know if its possible to click the link at say 5pm and watch the game from the start or to be able to do that by any other method?

6 minutes ago, Squidward said:

Thanks for the link POR.

I can't make the game this afternoon but will be free from about 5pm. I would like to watch the full game and avoid the score. Do you know if its possible to click the link at say 5pm and watch the game from the start or to be able to do that by any other method?

ONCE it's streamed on youtube  S it's there forever  and you can watch it any time  best if you wait till game finished to click the link and watch from start at 5pm game will still be on so if you click link will take you straight live to 2nd half and the score 

Not able to get to the match today so watched it on TV . A professional performance however we did let in some soft tries on the fringes. 

Good to see us scoring some stylish tries today after the scratchy performance in attack against Halifax last week, perversely we were unusually soft near our tryline today.

Think Batley didn't really pose the challenge they often do at the Mount for some reason, they weren't anywhere near as stiff up the middle as they usually are. They started with a half back at 13 and a couple of guys who can play centre at back row and I thought it showed.

Pleasing to see Cuthbertson showing he has plenty to offer for the third week in a row, Locky was a workhorse as usual, Coops was good and played big minutes and Moors again proved very difficult for defenders to handle. I really hope the knock that saw him go off in the 2nd half isn't serious as for me at the age of 35 he's playing better than last year when he was a 34-year-old stripling, we look dangerous every time he gets the ball in his big mitts.

Leilua had some good moments in attack but also is being targeted a bit defensively. I think he's done ok so far without breaking any pots. Jacks likewise had some good moments without looking anything out of the ordinary so far. Still early days with both.

Thought Pickersgill was really good today both in attack and defence.

Home to Cas or Wakey would do nicely next please.

Agree with Haskey'S post we did let some soft tries in.The one in the dressing room corner both Hall and Gale had gone walkabout and nearest two players were Pickersgill and Jacks who does read the game well when defending.Batley's first try is why i like scums , straight from the scrum and Batley had a man over although i thought Pickersgill could have moved across earlier.We needed a big forward fronting up to Ward under the sticks he brushed Wildie apart like a rag doll.Leilua did look for work more but some of his offloads out of the back were careless his orthodox pass for Briscoes try was good.Leilua would be a bit sharper if he could lose a stone.Thought Jacks played better with a couple of quiet patches.I was thinking he dosn't run with the ball when he did ,beat 2 men passed to Pickersgill and Hall scored.Another 3 games and i think we will see a different player.Where will Chizzy fit in?What about the pass Locky gave for the try 3 years ago he looked very uncomfortable passing but over the last couple of seasons it has clicked and it has added another dimension to his game.Cuthbertson again worked hard,along with Locky our best forwards.Now looking forward to who we get in the last 16.Wouldn't it be good for the Cumbrian clubs if Barrow drew Haven.

7 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

What about the pass Locky gave for the try 3 years ago he looked very uncomfortable passing but over the last couple of seasons it has clicked and it has added another dimension to his game.

It's one of the most amazing transformations in player skills I can remember seeing in RL. He barely ever used to pass the ball in a long career, and over the last 12 months or so he probably has as many assists as some of our half backs! It's a measure of his play near the opponent's line that when you asked the question "what about the pass Locky gave" I had to stop and think whether you meant the one for Cuthbo's try or Ferres' try.

3 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

It's one of the most amazing transformations in player skills I can remember seeing in RL. He barely ever used to pass the ball in a long career, and over the last 12 months or so he probably has as many assists as some of our half backs! It's a measure of his play near the opponent's line that when you asked the question "what about the pass Locky gave" I had to stop and think whether you meant the one for Cuthbo's try or Ferres' try.

When he did pass he did it in two phases catching the ball then positioning it to pass.Now it is natural,an amazing transformation at his age.Both ,the pass to Cuthbertson was the one i meant i had forgotten he set two up.

Archived