Thur 10th Mar: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Hull FC KO 8pm (Sky)

Who will win?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/03/22 at 20:30

6 minutes ago, boris74 said:

Frustrating. If Hull FC had put half that effort into the Cas game they could be sat on 4 wins out of 5 with players due back from injury over the next couple of games. The challenge now has to be consistency and to play to last nights kind of levels every week. When I saw that we had selected 6 props in the 17 and Lovodua at stand off I thought Hodgson had lost the plot - well played sir!

Thoughts with Joe Cator, you will be back.

When I saw hed named 6 props against us I knew we’d lose, we are far too light in the middle Hodgson got it spot on, they came with a game plan and executed it perfectly 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Satae had 19 carries for 196 metres. 7 tackle busts and 2 offloads. That's exceptional from the big man.

Brad Fash and Jack Brown also had 100 and 96 metres respectively. When your second string forwards are putting up numbers like that you know you've had a good night.

By way of the comparison the biggest metre maker amongst Leeds' props was Oledzki with 78. 

Connor deserves the plaudits but that's where the game was won and lost. Best I've seen Hull's forwards perform for a while, because that Leeds pack is easily their biggest strength.

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And Bennett also played the possesion error free totally bland type of football on the NZ tour in '19.

Has Connor gone missing in the International games he has played in Tommy?

Since SL was formed there has been a lot of selections to the international areana that just didn't warrent being selected on past performances in that company especially against the big two, some player's got in on reputation only not on abillity to perform at that level which in numerous attempts showed they were not up to task.

I mean he's only played 5 times for England and then 3 times for GB. I know you agree nobody can take any pride from the GB performance so that is still 5 games, 2 of which were against the combined nations all stars and France.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

I mean he's only played 5 times for England and then 3 times for GB. I know you agree nobody can take any pride from the GB performance so that is still 5 games, 2 of which were against the combined nations all stars and France.

Didn't he play against England for the winning team in last season's All stars game.

8 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

First off, I obviously wish you well and hope you're okay.

Secondly, I'm clearly a Hull FC supporter and mix with far more Hull FC fans on a weekly basis than the amount of them you will have encountered this evening.

And, I'm sorry but I can't think of a single Hull FC fan that I've heard "slagging Connor off".

I hope you reported the punching incident to the Police as well.

It was just a few before the game in the pub and a couple on the bus up to Headingley. As for getting punched I'm ok had worse I think he had been sampling the local hostelry. All the others we spoke to were great. Great performance from FC.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Bennett also played John Bateman at Centre

Wane has to pick a squad to his preferred balance.

I'm nit disputing he was brilliant tonight (against a poor Leeds performance), but past record shows he'll likely go missing in a few games or get himself sent off.

Hasn’t Sarginson got a far worse disciplinary record & Lyne could be a contender for world hide & seek champion and yet both of those are in Wane’s squad.

I've always thought Wane was a good coach... now because for this latest squad he hasn't chosen Connor, which will be based on performances up to the point he chose the squad.  Yet I note some comments in this thread suggesting Wane is a poor coach for not including him.

If he continues playing every game as last night then he will probably be chosen. Having said that it was a miserable performance from Leeds and I think many half backs/full backs in SL will have looked an outstanding player.  So I would not go by one game.., plus I tend to watch the ball rather than the general play. I'm sure Wane is far more analytic and understanding of how to play the game than most.

Connor is for sure a top contender for the world cup squad.  I'm sure not being chosen will make him think and focus on ensuring he is a first choice pick.  If so Wane will pick him.

As mentioned previously when we play Hull the first name I look for is if Connor is playing and hoping he doesn't bring his A game. He doesn't always and if he plays like he did last night then he will be a shoe in... Not sure all teams will be as bad as Leeds last night which gave him the time and space to show case his skills.

Just now, Davo5 said:

Hasn’t Sarginson got a far worse disciplinary record & Lyne could be a contender for world hide & seek champion and yet both of those are in Wane’s squad.

Which takes us back to the other point, he does come across as a bit of a prat.

These things are cumulative, and as I said, it is possible that Wane hasn't selected him to put him on notice.

12 hours ago, Scubby said:

Take out Kruise Leeming and Sezer and Austin are exposed for the pair of free loaders that they are right now.

You may be right but I don't think they were the main problem last night. Leeds were totally out played in the pack and as a result had minimum ball in good positions.  They struggled to get out of their 20, their tackling was poor and the Hull forwards made tons of yards, whilst minimising Leeds go forward.  

I'm sure if they were playing behind Hull forwards last night they would have been able to show case their skills to a better extent.

What the problem at Leeds last night is I have no idea but it manifested in an abject performance and not laid just at those two players.  Although they could be criticised it seems to me that some are wishing them to fail.

Just now, redjonn said:

You may be right but I don't think they were the main problem last night. Leeds were totally out played in the pack and as a result had minimum ball in good positions.  They struggled to get out of their 20, their tackling was poor and the Hull forwards made tons of yards, whilst minimising Leeds go forward.  

I'm sure if they were playing behind Hull forwards last night they would have been able to show case their skills to a better extent.

What the problem at Leeds last night is I have no idea but it manifested in an abject performance and not laid just at those two players.  Although they could be criticised it seems to me that some are wishing them to fail.

Fair point.

When you see a Championship level player like James Donaldson getting in the Leeds 17 you really wonder about their ability to match it with the big boys. Gannon is a future star but he is still raw. Prior is also well past his best and Thompson just isn't the player he was in the NRL and is 34 this year.

Look at what Satae was able to do down the middle there last night. That is very worrying for Leeds going forward (backward)

5 minutes ago, redjonn said:

The halfbacks were not Leeds issue last night, it was the lack of intensity and sn appalling attitude that was the issue.

Leeds are a big club, it’s natural for fans of other teams will take pleasure in them being poor

2 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

You'll need to show (a) that some part of his talent is wasted and (b) that this waste is because of his on-field behaviour. Evidence this causal chain and you have something tangible. Good luck.

So an opinion now has to have quantifiable evidence? Might as well shut this forum then.

25 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The halfbacks were not Leeds issue last night, it was the lack of intensity and sn appalling attitude that was the issue.

Leeds are a big club, it’s natural for fans of other teams will take pleasure in them being poor

The forwards were Leeds biggest problem last night, got run over and completely dominated.

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

As I said earlier, he's been sent off this season already. Can't get any more up to date than that. 

So have quite a few others. Should everybody who has been sent off this season due to the clampdown be discarded?

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

2 hours ago, Ant said:

Can someone name an England half back who hasn't gone missing in a game at some point? 

2013 Brough doesn't count since he didn't get picked 😉

Briers? oh hang, he too, was too much trouble.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

It was just a few before the game in the pub and a couple on the bus up to Headingley. As for getting punched I'm ok had worse I think he had been sampling the local hostelry. All the others we spoke to were great. Great performance from FC.

Sorry to hear you got punched mate. Hope you was able to identify him to the Police.

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Next three for Leeds are Salford away,  St Helens at home and Giants at home.  They arent beating Saints or Giants at this rate.  

Now fixture wise they havent had the easiest of starts  (Yet to play Salford Toulouse Cas ) but they could be 2 /6 from eight games and needing to go on a huge run to make playoffs.  

Massive game for Leeds next week.

The game in Friday is huge for Leeds for a number of reasons.

If they don’t have a change in attitude Agars gone (if he hasn’t gone before)

if they don’t put in s good performance what should be a great occasion in the Saints home game which is in the preferred time-slot of Friday night will be a total fizzer.

If they don’t pick up a win, I think the season’s done for us.

Basically the team, coaching staff and management all should be taking a good  look at themselves and asking themselves what they are wanting to achieve at Leeds Rhinos. The fans and sponsors who have stuck by them deserve a lot better than they are getting at the moment both on and off the pitch.

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Bennett also played John Bateman at Centre

Wane has to pick a squad to his preferred balance.

I'm nit disputing he was brilliant tonight (against a poor Leeds performance), but past record shows he'll likely go missing in a few games or get himself sent off.

Silly comparison. 

Lacking tangible evidence on whether he 'goes missing' or 'get himself sent off'.  Id be happy to see some overall evidence throughout his career rather than a high shot, swan dive by Gaskell.

We are talking about Jake Connor being selected by one of, if not the best, Coaches the game has known and not selected by Wane. 

I can see why but ive already mentioned different styles of coaches.  I know which style gets the best out of players and Bennett has proved that over and again.  

35 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The game in Friday is huge for Leeds for a number of reasons.

If they don’t have a change in attitude Agars gone (if he hasn’t gone before)

if they don’t put in s good performance what should be a great occasion in the Saints home game which is in the preferred time-slot of Friday night will be a total fizzer.

If they don’t pick up a win, I think the season’s done for us.

Basically the team, coaching staff and management all should be taking a good  look at themselves and asking themselves what they are wanting to achieve at Leeds Rhinos. The fans and sponsors who have stuck by them deserve a lot better than they are getting at the moment both on and off the pitch.

To be fair to Agar, he's quoted as saying its down to him.  Long way to go in the season yet.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Fair point.

When you see a Championship level player like James Donaldson getting in the Leeds 17 you really wonder about their ability to match it with the big boys. Gannon is a future star but he is still raw. Prior is also well past his best and Thompson just isn't the player he was in the NRL and is 34 this year.

Look at what Satae was able to do down the middle there last night. That is very worrying for Leeds going forward (backward)

Actually I like Donaldson, he puts a good shift and does add forward momentum. He only does short shifts but for sure he ain't ever going to be in contention for a man of steel.

On your other point I do think Leeds, shall we say over-egg their younger players.  For sure a few have huge potential but they are not ready to be first choice. 

The forwards last night struggled for sure but in other games have generally held their own or outplayed the opposition.  I think the back up to the first choice or rotation for the props is a problem at the moment. Plus they need Bentley back and on form and Mellor back to his best. Although their they would struggle in halting the likes of Satae...

Hull have a good heavy set of forwards and playing them direct and through the middle isn't the best of plans.  That's how they would come at you but Leeds shouldn't have been trying to go through them in return. 

Just now, redjonn said:

Actually I like Donaldson, he puts a good shift and does add forward momentum. He only does short shifts but for sure he ain't ever going to be in contention for a man of steel.

On your other point I do think Leeds, shall we say over-egg their younger players.  For sure a few have huge potential but they are not ready to be first choice. 

The forwards last night struggled for sure but in other games have generally held their own or outplayed the opposition.  I think the back up to the first choice or rotation for the props is a problem at the moment. Plus they need Bentley back and on form and Mellor back to his best. Although their they would struggle in halting the likes of Satae...

Hull have a good heavy set of forwards and playing them direct and through the middle isn't the best of plans.  That's how they would come at you but Leeds shouldn't have been trying to go through them in return. 

The difference between Leeds and Saints is how well they shift their youngers players on if they are not going to make top level players. They have been good at that and when you see players like Richards, Swift and Richardson etc kicking around at other clubs you do realise they weren't that great just in a great system.

Leeds do seem to be more sticky with this. You do see players floating around in the 17 and you think it's been years now, these guys are no where near the hype they were given when they first arrived.

Newman and Gannon I think are the exception. I hope the former can really get a run of games as he looks class.

Archived