Paul Rowley

For me, the jury is out whether Rowley is SL level, comes across well and talks a good game but so did Salfords previous coach.

I suppose time will tell, but indications so far are that he is probably out of his depth in SL, recently sending Wells and Escare who is arguably better than Brierley in the full back position out on loan smacks of favouritism, Wells is arguably a better option than Addy as well, I think Salford need a bit more in a coach and probably should have gone for Mcdermott who is now at Featherstone and again showing his class, he is the kind of coach Salford need tbh, not sure what their board are thinking since Watson left, they have not exactly been innovative and ambitious in their decision making where the coaches are concerned.

37 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

How much is salfords budget relative to others? The only real way you can judge a coach is based on resources available. He lost one game at Toronto that got him sacked and before then performed on budget, like most coaches. 

Would have thought Salfords budget is better than Fev who got Mcdermott.

1 hour ago, DG70 said:

Would have thought Salfords budget is better than Fev who got Mcdermott.

With respect, that's ridiculous

Salford probably have the lowest - or close to the lowest - budget in SL

Featherstone have got almost certainly the biggest budget in the Championship (it's either them or Leigh)

I don't doubt the McDermott is a decent coach but, frankly, I could be the Featherstone coach this season and they'd finish in the Top 2.

Rowley is the coach at Salford not because the directors aren't 'ambitious', but because they have very little money. And any money spent on an expensive coach is money that won't get spent on players.

I wish FC had gone for McDermott instead of Hodgson.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

4 hours ago, DG70 said:

For me, the jury is out whether Rowley is SL level, comes across well and talks a good game but so did Salfords previous coach.

I suppose time will tell, but indications so far are that he is probably out of his depth in SL, recently sending Wells and Escare who is arguably better than Brierley in the full back position out on loan smacks of favouritism, Wells is arguably a better option than Addy as well, I think Salford need a bit more in a coach and probably should have gone for Mcdermott who is now at Featherstone and again showing his class, he is the kind of coach Salford need tbh, not sure what their board are thinking since Watson left, they have not exactly been innovative and ambitious in their decision making where the coaches are concerned.

' Arguably ' , as in an opinion , which everybody has , be that coaches ,players or fans , it isn't unknown for sports coaches to favour certain familiar players , so far they are 2 from 4 , not a disaster , not brilliant , time will tell wether Paul is good/lucky enough as a coach at SL level , I'd suggest he'd be a better coach at Saints than Wolf would be at Salford 

4 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

How much is salfords budget relative to others? The only real way you can judge a coach is based on resources available. He lost one game at Toronto that got him sacked and before then performed on budget, like most coaches. 

As no one else wishes to point it out,I should state that Rowley left Toronto by mutual consent.He wanted to leave before his contract expired.The club allowed it.

With regard to budgets - at both Leigh and Toronto,it is believed Rowley had a far larger budget,and full time squads,in leagues where he had a huge advantage over ALL the other clubs.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I have always maintained that he is not a head coach overseeing all the playing aspects, but I would have him as an assistant at any club in the country even the International team as the offensive coach that is where is worth is.

Offensive? I always found his style dull and a preference for brutality over classy plays. 

6 hours ago, dealwithit said:

Offensive? I always found his style dull and a preference for brutality over classy plays. 

In his first couple of years we were terrible , % RL that but for Gateshead's financial collapse would have seen us in the third tier , he then seemed to go completely the opposite , playing off the cuff open which was great to watch , as in many things , getting the balance is the key to success 

On 09/03/2022 at 22:48, GUBRATS said:

I'd expect Paul's Salford to win well , and lose badly , if he follows the way he coached at Leigh for the last 2 seasons 

This is pretty much spot on. 

wouldn’t surprise me to see Salford being in the top 6 for points scored, and bottom 3 for points against. 

If they click for 80, could win anyone. If they don’t, they could lose to Leigh East 😂

Archived