NRL Match Thread - Round 1 - 2022

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I missed bits of the match, due to a work meeting, but Penrith have started very strongly. I was very impressed with what I saw.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I missed bits of the match, due to a work meeting, but Penrith have started very strongly. I was very impressed with what I saw.

Looks like they’ll be the team to beat this season. Early days obviously but they look to have continued in the way that earned them the Premiership in 2021. They showed they can win well without Cleary.

The only possible weak link I could see in the Panthers was a lack of size on the bench, but that could just have been down to the late loss of Matt Eisenhuth. Frightening that they hit this level of performance so early and without Cleary.

Penny Panthers Pound Pretenders..

Turbo's Torrid Time..

Des Dreams Destroyed..

Silvertail Slaughter..

Sums it up really, Tommorow's standout game is Ricky's Raiders v Fitzie's Fins but instead up here we get Brisbane v Souffs 😴

Is it not great to watch quality Rugby League where trainers are not on every five minutes slowing the game down for tactical reasons and doing on the spot coaching.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

43 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Is it not great to watch quality Rugby League where trainers are not on every five minutes slowing the game down for tactical reasons and doing on the spot coaching.

True , but the men in the blue tops are still loitering around . Must say it’s something I can never get my head around . 

Preview:

Canberra Raiders and Cronulla Sharks will both have high hopes for this season but it is the Sharks that will be the more confident of the two. They have changed things up with Craig Fitzgibbon taking charge and he has made some key signings ahead of the season. The Raiders on the other hand look weaker on paper than they have in recent years and with their backline in particular apparently not as strong as previously.

The Sharks look favourites to edge this opening contest.

Having said that this forum’s tipsters are evenly split, 8 going for Sharks, 8 going for Raiders.

Canberra Raiders vs Cronulla Sharks at GIO Stadium, 6.00pm

Raiders team: 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2. Nick Cotric 3. James Schiller 4. Matthew Timoko 5. Semi Valemei 6. Jack Wighton 7. Brad Schneider 8. Josh Papali’i 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Joseph Tapine 11. Hudson Young 12. Corey Harawira-Naera 13. Elliott Whitehead 14. Tom Starling 15. Emre Guler 16. Adam Elliott 17. Corey Horsburgh 19. Matt Frawley 23. Xavier Savage

Players cut: 18. Ryan Sutton 20. Trey Mooney 21. Harry Rushton 22. Jarrod Croker

Late Mail: Matt Frawley comes in as the replacement player with Ryan Sutton being cut from the squad. Brad Schneider will play his second NRL game.

Sharks team: 1. William Kennedy 2. Sione Katoa 3. Jesse Ramien 4. Ronaldo Mulitalo 5. Matt Ikuvalu 6. Matt Moylan 7. Nicho Hynes 8. Toby Rudolf 9. Blayke Brailey 10. Braden Hamlin-Uele 11. Briton Nikora 12. Teig Wilton 13. Dale Finucane 14. Aiden Tolman 15. Siosifa Talakai 16. Royce Hunt 17. Andrew Fifita 18. Luke Metcalf 19. Jesse Colquhoun

Players cut: 20. Lachlan Miller 21. Jenson Taumoepeau 22. Jayden Berrell

Late Mail: The Sharks will be without new coach Craig Fitzgibbon for their season opener after he was struck down by Covid. Assistant coaches Steve Price, Josh Hannay and Daniel Holdsworth run the show in Canberra this week.

Papalii off HIA

Schneider converts the Valemei try, just as Valemei goes off HIA - I think that was a few minutes back. I think it was the "high" tackle by Teig Wilton.

Raiders 12 - 0

Early reports: Hodgson ACL

Archived