Sat 12th Mar: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Castleford Tigers KO 15:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Castleford Tigers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/22 at 15:30

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really entertaining game that. Cas actually offered a lot more than I expected but I think Huddersfield always looked like they had more to give and were the most likely to get the win. Their quality showed in the end. They were the team I expected to be the surprise package this year that threatens the top 4 (there's always been one over the last few years) and so far they are looking on course.

Purely from a stats point of view Huddersfield seemed to do worse than the numbers would have suggested last season so perhaps it's no surprise that this year they are looking quite competitive after the first few games. Whether they have the squad depth to keep things going if they pick up injuries remains to be seen.

Just now, Ant said:

Bit of petulance from Pryce gave Cas a sniff, ably added by the Utter chaos that is Mr Childs 

I wondered in the first half if we could go up the gears if we needed to, took us a while to find 4th though 

Olly Russel is indeed very underrated outside Huddersfield- think we'll see some players rotated around next week though 

Olly Russel is outstanding, we only had him at town for one game but he was very impressive. 

2 minutes ago, Ant said:

Bit of petulance from Pryce gave Cas a sniff, ably added by the Utter chaos that is Mr Childs 

I wondered in the first half if we could go up the gears if we needed to, took us a while to find 4th though 

Olly Russel is indeed very underrated outside Huddersfield- think we'll see some players rotated around next week though 

Always thought Huddersfield had another couple of gears in them when they got possession in that second half. Could be in for a great year. 

Just now, dkw said:

Olly Russel is outstanding, we only had him at town for one game but he was very impressive. 

Reminds me of Luke Robinson in 2013 for us, other players were winning the MoS but in my opinion, he won us the LLS with his organisation 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I've been watching this while busy and with music on and thoroughly enjoying it. On social media its all about how bad it is, and the game is dead. 

Glad somebody else is enjoying it too. 

Must admit I enjoy watching the Giants play. 

There’s a lot of miserable sods on RL social media lately, namely two ex(or current)-Championship/League One players who seem to drum up the masses with bi-weekly comments like… 

“Game’s gone”

”May as well play touch and pass”

Our game is wonderful and that was a superb advert for it. Glad you enjoyed too!

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Giants would have thrown that away in seasons past.  They are playing well and next two will be a good test of credentials. 

Ian Watson can take a lot of credit for that.

12 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

There’s a lot of miserable sods on RL social media lately, namely two ex(or current)-Championship/League One players who seem to drum up the masses with bi-weekly comments like… 

“Game’s gone”

”May as well play touch and pass”

Our game is wonderful and that was a superb advert for it. Glad you enjoyed too!

Plenty of that the last twenty-four hours, including the current England fullback, and journalists in the game, who should really show some impartiality and restraint from their stupidity. That’s before you even dare plunge into reading comments from so-called fans. 

I’m sick of it, too. It’s embarrassing and rather than talking about Jonny Lomax’s analysis, Jack Welsby’s pass to Tommy Makinson, Huddersfield Giants, Ian Watson’s work at the Giants etc we have numerous stupid “games gone”, “how’s that a penalty let alone a yellow” and other rubbish like that. 

8 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Plenty of that the last twenty-four hours, including the current England fullback, and journalists in the game, who should really show some impartiality and restraint from their stupidity. That’s before you even dare plunge into reading comments from so-called fans. 

I’m sick of it, too. It’s embarrassing and rather than talking about Jonny Lomax’s analysis, Jack Welsby’s pass to Tommy Makinson, Huddersfield Giants, Ian Watson’s work at the Giants etc we have numerous stupid “games gone”, “how’s that a penalty let alone a yellow” and other rubbish like that. 

I’m quite happy for people to discuss the things they feel are important…

3 minutes ago, Tubby said:

I’m quite happy for people to discuss the things they feel are important…

I think there’s a way to do so and “games gone soft” or complaining about refereeing decisions and Twitter posts of a similar ilk from elite players and journalists in the game isn’t the way to go about it, if they feel so passionately about it can and should be articulated in a far better way that it doesn’t just look like it’s bitter words from biased fans, which is certainly how it’s coming across. 

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

I think there’s a way to do so and “games gone soft” or complaining about refereeing decisions and Twitter posts of a similar ilk from elite players and journalists in the game isn’t the way to go about it, if they feel so passionately about it can and should be articulated in a far better way that it doesn’t just look like it’s bitter words from biased fans, which is certainly how it’s coming across. 

You are entirely entitled to your opinion. You appear no stranger to the superlative yourself though. 

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

Attendances up. TV viewing figures looking great. Some decent games with no quarter asked or given. Some outstanding tries. Yes the game really has “gone”.

45 minutes ago, LeeF said:

Attendances up. TV viewing figures looking great. Some decent games with no quarter asked or given. Some outstanding tries. Yes the game really has “gone”.

Hilarious seeing his hypocrisy, just go see his post in the thread about Johnstones skill 🤣 

Well, we did our best to lose that in the 2nd half, a massive positive for me is in the preceding years we would have been trounced following a comeback like that but not this side, we took the beating , sucked it up and won the game again, resiliance i haven't seen for years.

Watto has transformed us into a really good, hardworking, fit team already and the difference is massive.

Players like Olly Russell, Will Pryce, Owen Trout, Innes Senior who many considered bit part/squad players are now blossoming and coming on leaps and bounds, add in the experience of Chris Hill, Tui Lolohea and the sheer workrate of Luke Yates, Chris McQueen, Matty English etc and we have a positivity around the club we haven't had since winning the LLS, as i said today we are still missing Mike Lawrence, Jake Wardle, Josh Jones, Theo Fages too - players that would get in most Super League squads, Watson has some really tough selection decisions to make in the future.

I did say Cas were a difficult side to beat due to the class they still have and for 20 minutes they gave us a hell of a fright so credit to them for getting back into the game.

I would also like to offer some praise to Mr Child too, the way the current rules and interpretations are set up he had no choice really to give those decisions today and in my opinion got every tough decision correct, whether i personally agree with them doesn't matter as he is employed to enforce the rules and he did that so well done for making them knowing he was going to get stick off the crowd, the players, the Sky team etc - i do feel sorry for the ref's in the current climate but they have been told what to punish and are literally been thrown under the bus by people in suits but that's for another topic.

I see people saying it was an awful game with 2 poor teams etc, well my question would be - if that wasn't entertaining what would be to you?.

The Cowbells sounded beautiful too.

Let's be honest, we only got back into it due to a ridiculous sin bin of McGillivray and a  couple of soft pens - outside of 20 minutes we were simply woeful.

We do need to see an end to this trend where a player feels a defender on his standing leg and automatically lifts his other to dive to the floor.

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

21 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Let's be honest, we only got back into it due to a ridiculous sin bin of McGillivray and a  couple of soft pens - outside of 20 minutes we were simply woeful.

We do need to see an end to this trend where a player feels a defender on his standing leg and automatically lifts his other to dive to the floor.

Any play acting needs cutting out BUT in the example you gave there is absolutely no reason why a player involved in a controlled and successful tackle with 2 or 3 other blokes needs to lift the opponents leg. It's asking for trouble straight away, that is something that is done knowingly and willingly by the bloke doing the lifting.

On 12/03/2022 at 17:14, dkw said:

I thought he was the MOM, I was surprised they gave it to Lolohea who I didn't had a particularly impressive game.

That was the best game I've seen Russell play, he's come on leaps and bounds in the past year. He defence has significantly improved, which is key for half back. He has always had a good kicking game and is learning to control a game more. His pass for the try was very skilful too...............there's a lot to like about him. 

Coincidentally, is Jack Cogger still around at the Giants? Is he injured or just not able to get a game?

44 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I thought he was the MOM, I was surprised they gave it to Lolohea who I didn't had a particularly impressive game.

That was the best game I've seen Russell play, he's come on leaps and bounds in the past year. He defence has significantly improved, which is key for half back. He has always had a good kicking game and is learning to control a game more. His pass for the try was very skilful too...............there's a lot to like about him. 

Coincidentally, is Jack Cogger still around at the Giants? Is he injured or just not able to get a game?

Problem in the past with Russell is he was behind Gaskell and Sezer and before that Brough, and from what i can gather none of them were particularly helpful towards the younger players development. 

Since Gaskell and Sezer were effectively frozen out he's had lots of game time to develop his game and is flourishing now under Ian Watson.

Cogger is indeed still at the Giants and is not far from a return from an ankle injury.

21 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Problem in the past with Russell is he was behind Gaskell and Sezer and before that Brough, and from what i can gather none of them were particularly helpful towards the younger players development. 

Since Gaskell and Sezer were effectively frozen out he's had lots of game time to develop his game and is flourishing now under Ian Watson.

Cogger is indeed still at the Giants and is not far from a return from an ankle injury.

Difficult to see how Cogger will get a game, although he'll be a useful utility back-up player. Probably not worth the money he's on though

35 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Difficult to see how Cogger will get a game, although he'll be a useful utility back-up player. Probably not worth the money he's on though

I've no idea how much money he's on but Fages is still out for a few weeks so i would imagine he will be involved somewhere.

Archived