Opposition player's who fill you with dread.

When you glance through an opposition team sheet are there any players that make you think, "oh no, not him".

It may well be just your perception and cold hard facts may not back it up but then again....

As a Widnes fan, to me three come to mind who are constant pains in the rear no matter what else changes.

Number 1 and unfortunately still fresh to mind is Jarrod Sammut.  Ruined many of my afternoons or evenings by coming up with tries, drop goals or decisive breaks that result in us losing the game. Annoys the life out of me.

Number 2 is Josh Charnley.  I never like losing players to punt and grunt but in his case was prepared to make an exception. Always good for a couple of tries against us both before and after his dark side stint. Believe he's up amongst the top try scorers in superleague history, love to know where Widnes stands in his tries per game stats.

Number 3 is Thomas Leuluai, no idea what his try scoring proficiency is like overall but know its pretty good against us, always good for at least one try a game.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

17 hours ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

When you glance through an opposition team sheet are there any players that make you think, "oh no, not him".

It may well be just your perception and cold hard facts may not back it up but then again....

As a Widnes fan, to me three come to mind who are constant pains in the rear no matter what else changes.

Number 1 and unfortunately still fresh to mind is Jarrod Sammut.  Ruined many of my afternoons or evenings by coming up with tries, drop goals or decisive breaks that result in us losing the game. Annoys the life out of me.

Number 2 is Josh Charnley.  I never like losing players to punt and grunt but in his case was prepared to make an exception. Always good for a couple of tries against us both before and after his dark side stint. Believe he's up amongst the top try scorers in superleague history, love to know where Widnes stands in his tries per game stats.

Number 3 is Thomas Leuluai, no idea what his try scoring proficiency is like overall but know its pretty good against us, always good for at least one try a game.

Strictly on the Widnes theme, as a Leigh fan Danny Craven pulls out all the stops against us time and again, 2 or 3 years ago when it looked as though he was coming to Leigh, I thought thank God for that we at least don't have to play against him.

Does he save his best for Leigh, or are they just a normal performance from him.

As a York fan, Jack Bussey & Craig Hall. Sick of the sight of them both.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

None these days but Paul Medley used to rip us apart regularly.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Frank Botica. Could kick goals from everywhere, and ruin your day with a last minute penalty on the half way line, near touch, with his wrong foot, blindfolded with a chicken on his head!

I may have exaggerated.

On a similar theme, players who fill you with dread but then go on to play for your team.

For Widnes I'm thinking Dennis Moran and James Webster specifically. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

15 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Right now:

Joe Mellor - Best half in the championship

Jarrod Sammut - Will always ruin your day

Adam Tangata - Total sh*thouse who will seriously injure someone one day. 

WTF? Tangata Really? Im sorry Im totally baffled by that comment. From our team if we were going to pick players with a bit of niggle in their game theres at least 3 that I would pick before him.

Wally Lewis, as a young teen watching him just tear GB teams (and teams generally) apart, hated him mainly as i just could not see why he was so good, thought he was over rated, he wasn’t big, (not really) he didn’t look fast or elusive, but was deceptively both, stronger than he looked tougher more skilful, just wish looking back I could appreciate with adult hindsight how good he was when i watched him in the flesh. Still dreaded him though.

see also Andy Gregory. 

Nobody in the modern era certainly currently playing seems to have the same effect don’t know weather its age or just the game does not have the real genius talents anymore. Good exiting players but not these enigmas . 

28 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Wally Lewis, as a young teen watching him just tear GB teams (and teams generally) apart, hated him mainly as i just could not see why he was so good, thought he was over rated, he wasn’t big, (not really) he didn’t look fast or elusive, but was deceptively both, stronger than he looked tougher more skilful, just wish looking back I could appreciate with adult hindsight how good he was when i watched him in the flesh. Still dreaded him though.

see also Andy Gregory. 

Nobody in the modern era certainly currently playing seems to have the same effect don’t know weather its age or just the game does not have the real genius talents anymore. Good exiting players but not these enigmas . 

That’s an interesting point, one I considered myself. I grew up in an age were my teams greatest rivals were miles ahead, with obvious reason, but had some incredibly exciting players like Hanley, Robinson and Paul, real edge of the seat players. Then after a period of success for my own team I watched another rival have their own amazing era with exciting players like Burrow. The game has changed quite a bit in itself and, with the odd exception, most teams seem to take a conservative approach, concentrating on set completion etc. That’s why I love to see the exciting players like Connor who try something different.

I think part of it is age, part is where my team are but part of it is also the way the game has changed. When I watch the skill levels of Johnstone or Connor this weekend I just want to see more of that but I don’t fear their name on a team sheet.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

WTF? Tangata Really? Im sorry Im totally baffled by that comment. From our team if we were going to pick players with a bit of niggle in their game theres at least 3 that I would pick before him.

I agree, that's a strange one. Think he's maybe a bit fortunate not to get any ban for his late hit on Sunday, but I've never thought of him as a dirty player, any more than Wildie is after one late hit in the same game.

Archived