Words that annoy you

The 'pre' obsession annoys me, as in 'pre-order' and 'pre-existing'.

Crises seem to bring their own new verbal fashions to the fore.  At the height of the Covid pandemic, Matt Hancock sometimes seemed to struggle to say that there had been an increase in the number of cases; it was an 'uptick'.

I am old enough to recall the good old days when the electricity went off and you realised there was a power cut; evidently, it has to be a power 'outage' now!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

pre book, or pre order. Surely by defintion you can not pre order something as the direct act of ordering means by definition you have ordered it? So if I have pre ordered it,have I ordered it to be ordered?

After networking with the key stakeholders, and taking the view from 50,000 feet without getting too granular, the lowest hanging fruit for the go forward plan would be to de-escalate the use of 'scrum' in the business focused paradigm.

Or summat.

2 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

We are away this weekend.....in Warwickshire.....where do they stand on this one?

Not sure but do research and get it right or you may start a diplomatic incident 

1 hour ago, Stirlin said:

What do they call the ladies that serve the midday meal at school ? , Dinnerladies. 🙂

An excellent point! 😁

School lunches, school lunches, concrete chips, concrete chips... just doesn't have the same ring 😂

On 12/03/2022 at 11:52, CanaBull said:

After networking with the key stakeholders, and taking the view from 50,000 feet without getting too granular, the lowest hanging fruit for the go forward plan would be to de-escalate the use of 'scrum' in the business focused paradigm.

Or summat.

All the while remaining either nimble or agile in their decision making.😛

4 hours ago, Stirlin said:

What do they call the ladies that serve the midday meal at school ? , Dinnerladies. 🙂

When you go to  the pub for roast beef, roast spuds, yorkshires and all the veg what is it called?

Sunday Lunch at Craig Y Nos Castle - Craig Y Nos Castle (Weddings,  Accommodation and Ghost Tours) in Wales

Two words when used together - "hot take".

Anything in business where a new word has been introduced to replace a perfectly good one. Example - "socialized" instead of "communicated".

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

When you go to  the pub for roast beef, roast spuds, yorkshires and all the veg what is it called?

Sunday Lunch at Craig Y Nos Castle - Craig Y Nos Castle (Weddings,  Accommodation and Ghost Tours) in Wales

An alternative viewpoint.

When your wife comes to drag you out of the pub at 2 o'clock on a Sunday, does she announce, "Your dinner's on the table," or does she announce, "Your lunch is on the table?"

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

3 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

An alternative viewpoint.

When your wife comes to drag you out of the pub at 2 o'clock on a Sunday, does she announce, "Your dinner's on the table," or does she announce, "Your lunch is on the table?"

Neither

she says “I kept your meal warm, it’s in the dog”

11 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Neither

she says “I kept your meal warm, it’s in the dog”

Ba-dum-tish!

I knew you'd come up with that. 😉

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Archived