How do we fit them all in?

33 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I never get this criticism of Percival and his defence. I think if we were to level some criticism at him, it’ll be not passing enough to his winger and occasionally dropping a bit too much ball. The lad is quality.

We always make this claim; but it’s not true. They’ve been beaten up by the Aussies every game since 2006! 

Did you actually read the post!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

No, no and thrice no, I watched Bateman on Saturday play virtually the whole game in the right centre position if I said he was as much use as a button on a sock that would be very complimentary about his performance, in fact he had as much presence and finesse as he did in left centre in the '17 WC, which was negligible.

So please Vyvyan explain to me why you would want to put a second row in what is one of the most technical positions on a Rugby League field, yes anyone can put on a 3 or 4 shirt but to perform it properly both defensively and offensively requires a special expertise that takes time to develop properly and especially in a tournament such as the WC where the standard of the opposition especially after the group stages is much better and comes along with each game.

I'm not saying I'd pick him there. I said I can see him getting picked there.  We're not short of back row forwards but in the centres we lack solidity in defence.  Bateman offers solidity even if he offers far less in attack out wide. 

Lots of different combinations available in the backline.

Tomkins, Makinson, Percival, Farnworth, Young

Connor, Young, Newman, Welsby, Farnworth.

Tomkins, Makinson, Percival, Wardle, Johnstone

Welsby, Makinson, Newman, King, Davies

Tomkins, Ashton, Percival, Young, Johnstone

Welsby, Young, Wardle, Gildart, Farnworth

I could probably do a few more. Which would be best?

2 minutes ago, Vyvyan said:

I'm not saying I'd pick him there. I said I can see him getting picked there.  We're not short of back row forwards but in the centres we lack solidity in defence.  Bateman offers solidity even if he offers far less in attack out wide. 

And you think he has the expertise to pull the defensive line across, initiate an 'umbrella' or 'sliding' movement, pull his wnger in or when to drop him back?

You are very correct when you say he offers far less in attack, in the '17 WC as I stated previously Ryan Hall at that time still a devastating finisher was virtually rendered redundant, with all the talk on this thread about who to employ in our backline why waste an attacking option on the wing by selecting a passive attacking player in the centre.

4 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Bennetts Record as England Coach - Played 15, Won 10 Lost 5, with 7 of those 10 wins coming against lower tier teams like France, Scotland, Samoa, PNG & Tonga.

Against the Top Tier teams (Aus & NZ) - Played 8, Won 3 Lost 5

Then his GB coaching record - Played 4, Lost 4, Losing to NZ (twice), Tonga and PNG 

Hardly anything to shout about

Versus Australia and NZ, very few have England coaches have much to shout about.  But who’s shouting?

You’ve miscounted again Toppy.  How many times?

8 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Lots of different combinations available in the backline.

Tomkins, Makinson, Percival, Farnworth, Young

Connor, Young, Newman, Welsby, Farnworth.

Tomkins, Makinson, Percival, Wardle, Johnstone

Welsby, Makinson, Newman, King, Davies

Tomkins, Ashton, Percival, Young, Johnstone

Welsby, Young, Wardle, Gildart, Farnworth

I could probably do a few more. Which would be best?

Don’t forget Ryan Hall and Jermaine McGilvery

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And you think he has the expertise to pull the defensive line across, initiate an 'umbrella' or 'sliding' movement, pull his wnger in or when to drop him back?

You are very correct when you say he offers far less in attack, in the '17 WC as I stated previously Ryan Hall at that time still a devastating finisher was virtually rendered redundant, with all the talk on this thread about who to employ in our backline why waste an attacking option on the wing by selecting a passive attacking player in the centre.

Bateman was outstanding defensively in the 2017 WC & did the job at centre Bennett wanted & in doing so we came as close to winning it since Clive Sullivan streaked down the wing.

39 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Harry, obviously Bennett thought he had that ability and he's a better coach than you or me.  

I wouldn't pick him there myself even if you think I would!

Hall's best years are behind him now.  If McGilvary's fit and in form I might consider him as his carries out of defence are a big plus.  But as a finisher I think there are better options.

Shame Regan Grace isn't English!

43 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

After seeing Ryan perform in The NRL why does Mr Wane 3 years on consider he will have improved? and Germaine on the same respect will not offer what he was able to do in his superb series of the '17 WC.

It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment

Walmsley would be a near certainty for the Aussies top 17 and both Bateman and Whitehead at their best have shown they are at least as good as the best Aussie back row options.

Beyond that we have some wild card options that could go spectacularly well but don’t yet have the pedigree to be matched favourably.

10 hours ago, arcticchris said:

Walmsley would be a near certainty for the Aussies top 17 and both Bateman and Whitehead at their best have shown they are at least as good as the best Aussie back row options.

Beyond that we have some wild card options that could go spectacularly well but don’t yet have the pedigree to be matched favourably.

If Jason Su'a and Isaiah Papali'i put their hand up for Samoa then I'm not sure Whitehead and Bateman would be the best pairing in that match.

There are some outstanding edge forwards in the NRL, it may well be the strongest position in the competition. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 hours ago, Vyvyan said:

Hall's best years are behind him now.  If McGilvary's fit and in form I might consider him as his carries out of defence are a big plus.  But as a finisher I think there are better options.

Shame Regan Grace isn't English!

His Dad is English born but thankfully Regan is as welsh as they come. 

On 13/03/2022 at 10:21, Dunbar said:

You would put Welsby on the wing for England?

I like Welsby and he is a top candidate for full back or a bench utility spot but I don't think I would pick him ahead of someone who is playing wing week in week out.

Hes a utility back and this season is probably the most consecutive appearances in the same position. Wingers and full backs used to be interchangeable, its only really the last few years that it has become almost an extra half back position.

Archived