NRL a league of its own

Its so depressing that we have allowed it to happen, but Super league is like Scottish Premier league to English, Canadian football league to NFL. Not sure we can ever get back to even close to that level, I’ve e never been so disillusioned with the game in this country. We really need the game at all world wide levels to be run by Australian Rugby League, but they don’t need it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Its so depressing that we have allowed it to happen, but Super league is like Scottish Premier league to English, Canadian football league to NFL. Not sure we can ever get back to even close to that level, I’ve e never been so disillusioned with the game in this country. We really need the game at all world wide levels to be run by Australian Rugby League, but they don’t need it. 

If you really think the Aussies would know how to run the game over here you need to think again. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If you really think the Aussies would know how to run the game over here you need to think again. 

No but we need a global plan unified game playing the same set of rules all pyshing in the same direction, and the Aussies will only entertain that if its Aussies leading it, but like i said they don’t  need it, their doing fine.

1 hour ago, The storm said:

Watched Brisbane V Souths and Wests V Melbourne with 32000 at Brisbane

This is a world class competition in anybodys book

Wasn't too long ago Brisbane would have had 50k for that match.

It is a league above SL, always has been IMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bratman said:

Wasn't too long ago Brisbane would have had 50k for that match.

It is a league above SL, always has been IMO.

Was going to counter argue that but just watched first half Huddersfield Cas. Poor just poor.

Super league 2000- 2012 ish was  not that far behind NRL quality  financially wise,  we still attracted big name imports .

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

We are on FTA,  We got 750000 to watch a game with huge audience in the 18-34 demo.  We have a World Cup if they dont kill it again.  

We have an all French derby this year. Attendances have recovered (when I was concerned after last year ).

Plenty to be positive about. 

There is indeed

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Was going to counter argue that but just watched first half Huddersfield Cas. Poor just poor.

Super league 2000- 2012 ish was  not that far behind NRL quality  financially wise,  we still attracted big name imports .

Yeah, respective TV deals have probably widened the gap considerably.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Congratulations on winning the award for most Rugby League-esque post of the year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Live after death said:

Garbage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This game on sky has been an excellent advert for our competition. Be very proud of our product and what it can offer 80% of the time. 

Don’t watch much NRL at all, appreciate its quality and standards but absolutely love the game in the northern hemisphere. A lot ot be positive about up here.

Edited by welshmagpie
  • Like 4

The NRL needs promotion and relegation, there’s too many clubs that don’t have anything to play for. Especially one where the newly promoted team has very little chance of staying up. That’s what they need to compete with us. 

• Haha 5

I really don't think the NRL taking over UK rugby league would make much difference. 

What it boils down to is that over the last 20 years or so we've been trying to hold our own against the behemoth that swallows all that is football, whereas - in NSW and QLD at least - they've been able to capitalise on their position as the leading code. Plus there wasn't a recession and then austerity in Aus in the way there was here 2008-16.

Sure, we've made mistakes by the bucket load, but it's underlying factors that have ultimately driven the divergence between the leagues. 

We shouldn't be so hard on ourselves, when you think what we've been up against, I think weve done OK. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I really don't think the NRL taking over UK rugby league would make much difference. 

What it boils down to is that over the last 20 years or so we've been trying to hold our own against the behemoth that swallows all that is football, whereas - in NSW and QLD at least - they've been able to capitalise on their position as the leading code. Plus there wasn't a recession and then austerity in Aus in the way there was here 2008-16.

Sure, we've made mistakes by the bucket load, but it's underlying factors that have ultimately driven the divergence between the leagues. 

We shouldn't be so hard on ourselves, when you think what we've been up against, I think weve done OK. 

Exactly, with Aussie Rules making inroads into RL territory, and the NRL’s reluctance to combat it, they may soon find out what it’s like not to be top dogs on their own turf. 

2 hours ago, The storm said:

Watched Brisbane V Souths and Wests V Melbourne with 32000 at Brisbane

This is a world class competition in anybodys book

Great crowd, but its Brisbane, the biggest club in the world in their first game of the season so just hope they can get those crowds next season when the 2nd Brisbane club starts.

I wonder if an NRL fan forum said the same about SL 3 years ago when Cats got a crowd of 31 500?

Saints got 16,000 the other night so it will be intresting to see how that compairs against the rest of the NRL opening attendances- top 5 or will ever NRL crowd be a lot bigger? - after all we all know on here- NRL = amazing - SL = Bad...

While comparisons are unfair and inaccurate due to many different factors, I would like to see the two competitions at least collaborate with each other because it is very much watching two very different products in terms of laws and officiating and having different rules for different competitions, both club and international level, is not really a good idea. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Jughead said:

While comparisons are unfair and inaccurate due to many different factors, I would like to see the two competitions at least collaborate with each other because it is very much watching two very different products in terms of laws and officiating and having different rules for different competitions, both club and international level, is not really a good idea. 

They can't even get the NRL to commit to the WCC each year even though that trophy should be the pinnacle of club RL.

Real shame Saints didn't get to test themselves over the past 2 years as this Saints team would have probably beat Penrith- shame as the Saints squad will largely break up at the end of this season.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

I really dont think it's an issue. What percentage of UK rugby league fans even watch NRL? A minority. And the percentage of UK non-RL fans who we might hope to convert that know NRL is basically zero. 

And we don't play enough internationals to make it a big deal either. 

On balance, the sucess of the NRL is good for UK rugby league because it gives a highly lucrative career for players to aim for, and they fill the gaps in our own lack of production. 

Imagine if there was just UK rugby league in its current state. I think we'd probably be a lot closer to thr end. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I really dont think it's an issue. What percentage of UK rugby league fans even watch NRL? A minority. And the percentage of UK non-RL fans who we might hope to convert that know NRL is basically zero. 

And we don't play enough internationals to make it a big deal either. 

On balance, the sucess of the NRL is good for UK rugby league because it gives a highly lucrative career for players to aim for, and they fill the gaps in our own lack of production. 

Imagine if there was just UK rugby league in its current state. I think we'd probably be a lot closer to thr end. 

Who watches what over here matters little, a sport with so many different sets of rules is strange and only continues to be a barrier, of which we as a sport need to break down. 

From what I could tell this morning they are certainly in a league of their own for dreadful haircuts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Great crowd, but its Brisbane, the biggest club in the world in their first game of the season so just hope they can get those crowds next season when the 2nd Brisbane club starts.

I wonder if an NRL fan forum said the same about SL 3 years ago when Cats got a crowd of 31 500?

Saints got 16,000 the other night so it will be intresting to see how that compairs against the rest of the NRL opening attendances- top 5 or will ever NRL crowd be a lot bigger? - after all we all know on here- NRL = amazing - SL = Bad...

Second brisbane club is based on having one game every week at Suncorp so they wont be competing ‘head to head’ for fans so to speak. 

After 2 terrible seasons at Broncos putting out a team that can compete for and in the play offs will only increase attendence.

Over to you Kevvy!

• Like 1

In this country, I can watch games from community level all the way to the top professional league and see teams that formed a huge part of my upbringing. 

From Australia, I can watch top class Rugby League with fantastic players and team names that conjure up evocative and exotic memories from my childhood.

I am not interested in which is better, I am just happy to enjoy both.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I would love the NRL to take control of the World game and really push it forward. Unfortunately the NRL has proved time and time again it only cares about the NRL and would gladly see any part of the game not under their control die away. 

30 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I would love the NRL to take control of the World game and really push it forward. Unfortunately the NRL has proved time and time again it only cares about the NRL and would gladly see any part of the game not under their control die away. 

Mate there will some way that V`landy`s and co will be looking to leverage the existence of a northern hemisphere competition into their plans for the future of Rugby League. The bloke is just way too ambitious not too be thinking globally at some point. It`s just they have enough on their plate down here at the present, we are possibly on the verge of a big push into N.Z. and making inroads into that country will be dominating their expansionist plans at the moment.

One other thing I have mentioned before is that we have to be sure that our competition down here is financially secure before we start worrying too much about the northern hemisphere because if that does take off it could dwarf our financially and we could become the feeder competition, see what has happened to under resourced union down here.

One area where there has been rumblings, rightly or wrongly, could be something in this for you blokes if they can get this to take off.

NRL 2022: ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys flags NRL’s launch of United States betting later this year amid forecast of $20 million a year revenue boost (smh.com.au)

Asked whether the NRL could expect to reap as much as $20 million in product fees from the United States each year once established, Global Media and Sports principal Colin Smith said: “I actually think if they get it to work it could be significantly bigger than that.

“The growth of sports betting over there is so huge and a lot of that has been taken away from the illegal services. It’s not like Americans haven’t been doing sports betting. In the short time since its started, wagering has been massive in New York, for example.

“There are a lot of similarities between NFL and NRL with the physicality, which the Americans will like. I wouldn’t say the same would apply to Australian rules football. The relationship between broadcast and sports betting is intrinsic, and I think there is real upside for the NRL.”

Online gambling pioneer and Melbourne Storm chairman Matt Tripp has backed the NRL’s push into America, and told the Herald last year “it wouldn’t be ridiculous to suggest that, whatever they are generating from wagering now, they could add 50 to 60 per cent onto that over the course of the next five years.”

Smith, Tripp and Weiss are three very smart cookies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2