NRL a league of its own

10 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I've been watching a series on Netflix called Anatomy of a Scandal.

There are scenes in it of the ''rugby boys, university hi jinks!''

I recommend all RL fans watch it as it provides a pretty accurate conceptual model/metaphor of what we're up against in RaRa.

You can make you're own minds up. 

I don`t get Netflix but I think I know what you mean. I met and shared dorms at university with a lot of private school boys, they were nice enough and a couple I was friends with, but definitely an air of superiority/ born to rule type mentality. 

Problem I always had though was, you could never tell them apart, it`s like they come off an assembly line and I suppose that`s what their parents wanted - a type.

Funny enough though, despite their expensive educations, the cleverest and most interesting characters I ever met at university were always the public ( what we call Gov`t. ) schools anyway, blokes and girls whose natural intelligence wasn`t stifled by a plum in the mouth or a supercilious attitude.

A  quick example of the kind of native intelligence you got from the Gov`t school boys, I had a mate from the central coast, cleverest bloke I ever met and a mad Sea Eagles fan. We went and saw one night this Aussie comedian called Austen Tayshus, real arrogant ####, if people didn`t laugh at his jokes it was the audiences fault for being stupid, he used to do this thing with his hands, `over your heads` if people didn`t laugh at a joke.

We`re standing there in this venue jammed packed in with about 500 people and after about half an hour Tayshus starts cracking this joke about a plane crash in America, my mate nudges me in the ribs and says watch this and he yells out " you think that`s funny mate, my parents died in that plane crash ", deadly silence in the venue, Tayshus was stunned and in front of the whole audience offered a grovelling apology " sorry mate I had no idea etc. etc. " he starts another joke this one about religion and this time my mate yells out " and now you`re having a go at my religion " deadly silence in the venue once again, but this time Tayshus knew he`d been had and it bought the house down. Needless to say this huge Islander bouncer sidled over to us and said one more peep.

You wouldn`t have got that stuff from a private school boy in a million years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hemi4561 said:

I never have a problem with your posts. I am struggling to find the right words to express myself, I have no interest in the NRL but I may have an interest in a thread about it. I agree that time is short, the reason that I don't care at all about the NRL is that right now I have to work out what to do with this weekend. Go to York to watch my eldest nephew play for Keighley Albion tomorrow, go and watch Cougars v Hornets, and be grateful that my youngest nephew is not playing this weekend as the Hurricanes have the weekend off. Alternatively if the weather is good I may paint a Mini shell and if the weather is bad I may build a subframe. I watch live Rugby, not TV from 12000 miles away no matter how good it may or not be. 

Sounds like you are going to have  great weekend of live Rugby League whichever option you choose.

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Sounds like a little trouble in the ground last night. Seems to have been a few incidents with crowds this year. 

Just seen a video and it's unfortunate as looks like only one or two people being a-holes but it looks far worse in a stadium as people scatter. 

Unfortunately it is what happens with Magic and its a reason I've been put off, particularly Newcastle. 

59 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Sounds like a little trouble in the ground last night. Seems to have been a few incidents with crowds this year. 

Just seen a video and it's unfortunate as looks like only one or two people being a-holes but it looks far worse in a stadium as people scatter. 

Unfortunately it is what happens with Magic and its a reason I've been put off, particularly Newcastle. 

I’m sure even Warrington fans would draw the line at attacking one of their own fans, Dave. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

So NRL fans are fighting each other and this board still manages to have a go at SL........

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

So NRL fans are fighting each other and this board still manages to have a go at SL........

Considering we have the same event and have had for far longer than Australia, I don’t think it’s “having a go” to describe, what I’m guessing are Dave’s previous experiences. 

For what it’s worth, I’ve also seen violence and anti-social behaviour at Magic Weekends in the past. It’s unfortunately, not uncommon.

52 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Considering we have the same event and have had for far longer than Australia, I don’t think it’s “having a go” to describe, what I’m guessing are Dave’s previous experiences. 

For what it’s worth, I’ve also seen violence and anti-social behaviour at Magic Weekends in the past. It’s unfortunately, not uncommon.

Yup, all day drinking at a sports events brings its problems, cricket and horse racing and the likes also have some issues with it. 

• Like 1

Here`s one for you:

The shift to day rugby is the preference of broadcaster Channel Nine - owner of this masthead - who want the Wallabies on their main channel and leading into evening NRL games, as opposed to a secondary channel at the same time. As reported in today`s Sydney Morning Herald.

The way it should be - the entree before the mains.

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Here`s one for you:

The shift to day rugby is the preference of broadcaster Channel Nine - owner of this masthead - who want the Wallabies on their main channel and leading into evening NRL games, as opposed to a secondary channel at the same time. As reported in today`s Sydney Morning Herald.

The way it should be - the entree before the mains.

Would that apply to Sundays as you couldn't have the Wallabies on a Saturday day time as most Union clubs play on a Saturday afternoon or has that changed.

What's happened to Ian Gildart?

The last time I saw him play, he looked like a little boy lost. 

Is he injured, or out of favour?

33 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

What's happened to Ian Gildart?

The last time I saw him play, he looked like a little boy lost. 

Is he injured, or out of favour?

Well Ian will be in his 50s now and even though he was a good player if he's getting a game in the NRL it shows how far the NRL has fallen...

Oliver Gildart is out of favour- well done Wigan getting shot of an average player to the NRL by the way - the NRL will buy anyone it seems.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Well Ian will be in his 50s now and even though he was a good player if he's getting a game in the NRL it shows how far the NRL has fallen...

Oliver Gildart is out of favour- well done Wigan getting shot of an average player to the NRL by the way - the NRL will buy anyone it seems.

I'm sorry about that blunder Mr Frisky i'm only partly engaged. Got a lot going on here. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

NRL salary cap to hit $10.5m ( 6m pound ) next year, up from $9.5m and to increase by $500k annually for the remainder of the current broadcast deal.

V`landy`s employing the same ethos that he has successfully employed at NSW Racing, you`ve got to reward the participants.

3 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

NRL salary cap to hit $10.5m ( 6m pound ) next year, up from $9.5m and to increase by $500k annually for the remainder of the current broadcast deal.

V`landy`s employing the same ethos that he has successfully employed at NSW Racing, you`ve got to reward the participants.

Great for Australia…….makes our pathetic £2.1 million cap look just that.  Pathetic.

54 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

I saw this in SMH yesterday. Its great for the sport generally to have such a well paid league, it can only help in the competition for the best rugby and sports talent. The gulf in salary caps is that big now anyway between the NRL and SL I don't think another $1 million really has any additional effect in terms of SL.

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

I saw this in SMH yesterday. Its great for the sport generally to have such a well paid league, it can only help in the competition for the best rugby and sports talent. The gulf in salary caps is that big now anyway between the NRL and SL I don't think another $1 million really has any additional effect in terms of SL.

It is a shame the gulf is so large and demonstrates just how far behind the NRL, that SL finds itself.

The increase will have a continued positive influence on the professional playing choices of the young Rugby talent in the Southern Hem’ and in turn the reach of the game into emerging NRL markets. Fingers crossed, team #18 is announced very soon and finds itself outside of Sydney or Brisbane.

19 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

It is a shame the gulf is so large and demonstrates just how far behind the NRL, that SL finds itself.

The increase will have a continued positive influence on the professional playing choices of the young Rugby talent in the Southern Hem’ and in turn the reach of the game into emerging NRL markets. Fingers crossed, team #18 is announced very soon and finds itself outside of Sydney or Brisbane.

NZ or Perth though mate for 18?

3 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

Great for Australia…….makes our pathetic £2.1 million cap look just that.  Pathetic.

You do realise that SL clubs can (more or less) pay 2 players what they want - think of SBW mega wage from 2 years ago. Even the clubs with money chose to pay good but not amazing money to their top 2 players. Didnt Wire pay Williams a fortune and even Wigan couldn't match it and said they had offered him their biggest salary (and they were paying Tomkins £300,000 a few years ago)

If the clubs had the money there is still scope to attract the best in the world but as ever with SL we need more sponsors and a better TV deal.

11 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

You do realise that SL clubs can (more or less) pay 2 players what they want - think of SBW mega wage from 2 years ago. Even the clubs with money chose to pay good but not amazing money to their top 2 players. Didnt Wire pay Williams a fortune and even Wigan couldn't match it and said they had offered him their biggest salary (and they were paying Tomkins £300,000 a few years ago)

If the clubs had the money there is still scope to attract the best in the world but as ever with SL we need more sponsors and a better TV deal.

Yes, but that’s only 2 players out of the top 25 isn’t it.  Most full time RL players in this country will be on circa £70,000/£80,000 a year for playing the hardest team sport in the world.  A pittance.  A pathetic pittance.

• Like 1