NRL a league of its own

Guests of the NRL at the opening State of Origin:

New Labor Prime Minister and Souths Sydney fan Anthony Albanese.

Recently deposed Liberal Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

Treasurer and Broncos fan Jim Chalmers.

Federal Sports Minister Anika Wells.

NSW Liberal Premier Dominic Perrottet.

NSW Sports Minister Stuart Ayres.

QLD Sports Minister Stirling Hinchcliffe.

NSW Racing Minister Kevin Anderson.

Foxtel CEO Patrick Delaney.

Nine Boss Mike Sneesby.

World`s 171st richest man and part Souths Sydney owner Mike Cannon-Brookes.

Not bad and very important to have these people on side.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Guests of the NRL at the opening State of Origin:

New Labor Prime Minister and Souths Sydney fan Anthony Albanese.

Recently deposed Liberal Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

Treasurer and Broncos fan Jim Chalmers.

Federal Sports Minister Anika Wells.

NSW Liberal Premier Dominic Perrottet.

NSW Sports Minister Stuart Ayres.

QLD Sports Minister Stirling Hinchcliffe.

NSW Racing Minister Kevin Anderson.

Foxtel CEO Patrick Delaney.

Nine Boss Mike Sneesby.

World`s 171st richest man and part Souths Sydney owner Mike Cannon-Brookes.

Not bad and very important to have these people on side.

Guest at the Challenge Cup final here in good old wet and windy Blighty…..absolutely no clue 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dallas Mead said:

Guest at the Challenge Cup final here in good old wet and windy Blighty…..absolutely no clue 🤷‍♂️

well given it seemed hard enough to get RL fans to the final in great numbers why would prominent politicians be running over themselves to be seen their.

Mind you I know of one conservative minister that attended who is a keen RL fan...

Plus I'm sure some other politicians may have... given the likes of the speaker is a big fan plus others...

Not sure what difference it would make if RFL published those that did...

Not forgetting that is this country we like to criticise if we think a politician is getting something for free... we are a somewhat envious or quick to make negative political twitter capital are we not

Edited by redjonn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, redjonn said:

well given it seemed hard enough to get RL fans to the final in great numbers why would prominent politicians be running over themselves to be seen their.

Mind you I know of one conservative minister that attended who is a keen RL fan...

Plus I'm sure some other politicians may have... given the likes of the speaker is a big fan plus others...

Not sure what difference it would make if RFL published those that did...

Not forgetting that is this country we like to criticise if we think a politician is getting something for free... we are a somewhat envious or quick to make negative political twitter capital are we not

TBH, as I'm a cynic, my first reaction on seeing the list of politicians at Origin was to think: "Well, on both sides of the world, politicians love a jolly ..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

NRL supremo Peter V'landys reveals what the Queen told him as they lunched at Royal Ascot | Daily Mail Online

"Her Majesty is renowned for being a keen follower of the horses, but that enthusiasm doesn't extend to footy, with V'landys adding she 'knew nothing about rugby league"

Well she`ll know a little bit more now, I can guarantee it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Peter V`landys is renowned for being a keen follower of the horses, but...

That would be " His Majesty " thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yeah Wheatley lives near me and he used to do the odd media thing about his love for league.....where has he gone? A case for Morse to look into?

He's 71, mate. He probably wants a quite life.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Eels v Roosters is such a high quality game. Some great skills on display and some fantastic tries. It's a completely different level than SL.

Thing is Damien even if it is why mention it as comparison?

It's a good game and I've already enthused about Para's performance so far, I don't know why we don't leave it there.

• Like 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

15 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Thing is Damien even if it is why mention it as comparison?

It's a good game and I've already enthused about Para's performance so far, I don't know why we don't leave it there.

It's what the thread is about isn't it?

22 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Big up for Para who look like a Roy Francis coached side the way they are playing!

There is an undeniable fascination in watching the ruthlessness of the Panthers and the Storm, but it would be marvellous for NRL and Rugby League if Parra could get over them for this year`s premiership.

Great shame that Eels/Roosters isn`t on FTA.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Great shame that Eels/Roosters isn`t on FTA.

It`s been a boom year so far for the NRL with 55 million viewers at an average of 630 000 viewers per match at the half way point of our season ( round 12 )  this compared to 50 million at 540 000 for our main competitor.

Interestingly our friend at the SportsIndustry website reported recently that there had been 14 NRL matches so far this year with more than 1 000 000 viewers compared to the afl`s twelve, something that he had never witnessed in all his time reporting on these matters.

• Like 2

On 17/06/2022 at 01:02, unapologetic pedant said:

Is PVL on tour? The Pope probably doesn`t know much about RL. Still won`t after lunch with His Holiness.

The Pope mightn`t know much about the NRL but he may well have heard of V`landy`s. Especially after the Catholic World Youth Day fiasco in 2008 where PVL insisted the Catholic Church pay a $40m   `indulgence` for the right to use Randwick Race Course for their triennial knees-up.

Mercifully for the CC the State and Federal Governments came to the rescue agreeing to grease HMPVL`s palm for the stipulated amount. How to win friends and influence people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

It's what the thread is about isn't it?

I thought you might say that but I don't think the thread interminable comparing just saying how good the NRL can be.

Did anyone pick up on the match that was nothing but mistakes and say SL's better?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political