Match thread: Championship Rd6. Batley v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 20th March 2022.

marklaspalmas

12 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

By the way, I'd love it if the team could set up some kind of move, any move at all, close to the opposition line, to utilise Leilua's obvious running power. 

If you watch the games again, we use moves which the majority of clubs use, namely passing behind runners and hitting the wide men, or utilising the fullback as an extra man going into the line, then we use kick throughs, we also use props as pivots a role both Locky and Cuthbertson use very well last week. Of course to put these moves set pieces on, you've got to work the defence enough to enable you to make them work.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, wasginger said:

If you watch the games again, we use moves which the majority of clubs use, namely passing behind runners and hitting the wide men, or utilising the fullback as an extra man going into the line, then we use kick throughs, we also use props as pivots a role both Locky and Cuthbertson use very well last week. Of course to put these moves set pieces on, you've got to work the defence enough to enable you to make them work.

Yes, of course, we have many moves.

I was referring specifically to one designed to utilise Leilua.

https://twitter.com/FevRoversRLFC/status/1505544756868399112

Team announced...no Leilua. Don't know if he has a knock or has just not been selected but having left out Chissy for the last two weeks and with Ferres in and out of the team, it does seem that Mac is definitely not picking the team on reputations.

Hardy just produces the goods and remains very hard to leave out when fit regardless of which big-name threequarters we bring in from year to year. We had the SL experience of Minns and Welham last year and he was the best of that trio all season for me.

57 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Hardy just produces the goods and remains very hard to leave out when fit regardless of which big-name threequarters we bring in from year to year. We had the SL experience of Minns and last year and he was the best of that trio all season for me.

100%. Just like Hardy's commitment every game.

7 minutes ago, Normy_Rover said:

We got out of jail with a draw, too many kicks to nothing at the end of our sets. We looked much better when Smith came on

Chisholm poor today Smith did  improve us but BM has got to try them all at some point.

Cannot believe how polar opposite the two teams were in the space of 7 days

Did we take a gamble last week putting in too much effort to get a win in the hope of securing a belting cup draw? 

We looked really down on the energy levels compared to last week - lucky to escape with something really although i thought wed somehow nicked it

Felt very similar to the 2nd Fax game to me, almost as if we were playing in slow motion at times. Definitely feels like we nicked a point. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Felt very similar to the 2nd Fax game to me, almost as if we were playing in slow motion at times. Definitely feels like we nicked a point. 

It's strange because we dint really  deserve to win but scored 4 tries to 3.

All credit to Batley who have clearly worked hard all week to nullify anything we had to offer. It appears we didn't bother working on anything as shown by their first try from the scrum being a carbon copy of last week's. 

Thought our kicking game was nothing short of terrible and neither half back looked interested in taking on the line until Jacks did it and scored.

That being said we were in a position to win the game twice, once we decided to steal the ball on the last tackle, and the second time was possibly the worst drop goal attempt ever.

Lets face it Batley deserved both points.They showed more intensity and energy than us and the Batley pack seemed to make more ground down the middle.Thought their no 7 Gilmore outplayed our halves.First Batley try Johnson in the corner nobody to beat Briscoe missing link.Halls try would  have done Paul Daniels proud how it bounced up as good as a pass.Why when we were attacking 20m from Batley line did we have 3 dummy runners in one play half the width of the pitch,that leaves the defence with men over.Much better to back the ball handler up late for a possible off load.Chizzy's kicking was very poor just a dink in the air leaving an easy catch in perfect conditions for RL.Not sure abour his dissallowed try for obstruction he may have just gone behind the shoulder of the dummy runner who i thought continued through the line.Easy drop goal miss from Hall ,but why wait for the last tackle?.We had the ball in front of the sticks on the third tackle,then went to the left edge.So had to come back centre for fifth.Chizzy or Jacks should have dummied to kick and gone for the line on the 4th.Then we could have had a drop on the fifth or sixth BRAINLESS.All players were lacklustre but good to see Hardcastle back who played better than the others.Junior tried hard and made some good breaks which should have been better backed up.Hope John Davies is back soon we miss his hard work  and grit.

The worst the team has played post covid save for the final. Today illustrated what John Davies and Matty Wildie bring to the team. 

I'm a pessimistic old git but I said to Robin before kick off, that I had a bad feeling.  They were no great shakes either they just tried harder and had a better kicking game, as ours was woeful. 

To kickable goal kicks by Craig's standards were missed this ultimately would have made the difference, but we were lucky to get anything from the game. 

The 'Dogs' in the stand were complaining about the amount of potential forward passes that we got away with, tbf it happened to both teams. 

Big kick up the jug and vase this. 

13 minutes ago, The scrim reaper said:

Your guys were lucky today thought our guys out gunned them, 1 if not 2 forward passes in your last try, Batley deserved all the points today! Up the BULLDOGS! 

Let's not get into forrad passes mate. It works both ways.

Just enjoy the fact you earned a hard fought point and if your team shown some balls and gone for the corner at the end instead of the two, you may well have got both points 

8 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Let's not get into forrad passes mate. It works both ways.

Just enjoy the fact you earned a hard fought point and if your team shown some balls and gone for the corner at the end instead of the two, you may well have got both points 

We had 9 first teamers missing today  taking the 2 was a good decision, and i thought it was more like your lot got the hard fought point, we deserved the win! 

16 minutes ago, The scrim reaper said:

Your guys were lucky today thought our guys out gunned them, 1 if not 2 forward passes in your last try, Batley deserved all the points today! Up the BULLDOGS! 

I agree, we were lucky and Batley deserved the win, I thought you did a good job nullifying Moors this week as he was rampant last.  I think it was hubris on Fev's part, thinking it was a forgone conclusion after last weeks performance. Well done Dogs, see you in the playoffs

27 minutes ago, The scrim reaper said:

We had 9 first teamers missing today  taking the 2 was a good decision, and i thought it was more like your lot got the hard fought point, we deserved the win! 

Yep....and had you gone for it I think you might have got it..... all conjecture now, you didn't and settled for the draw.

59 minutes ago, The scrim reaper said:

And hall grounded the ball.  But there we go. 

Archived