Dave Hadfield RIP

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a shame. I have a few of his books, and enjoyed his journalism too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sad news, which has prompted me to reach over and pluck from a bookshelf my copy of XIII Winters, which Dave edited. Plenty to amuse in the opening chapter, A Tangerine Machine, in which Dave describes the fun (mostly!) he had covering Blackpool Borough's 1978-79 season. 

This is very sad news, RIP Dave. 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

RIP  Dave Hadfield, if his name was on the article, it was always an enjoyable read.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Hadfield was one of the true greats of RL journalism wasn't he.

Can highly recommend the book he edited X111 winters - which was rugby league’s attempt to tap into the post Fever Pitch boom in sports writing. His player profiles before cup finals - available through (The Independent archive if you are a student) are gold. 

His book on the history of Australian players in the UK - Playing Away - is another classic.

Sad news, a true ambassador for the game

Leigh played Widnes midweek in 2006ish having been postponed at the weekend and was a comparatively early kick off compared to these days as I think it was 7.15/7.30. We got the train from Warrington and were a little bit panicky as I think it was only due to arrive after 7pm. We hurriedly got off the train and were walking double pace to make sure we didn't miss kick off. As we hurriedly walked towards the ground, we thought for a moment we actually thought the game had been called off again as Mr Hadfield was walking towards us away from the ground with probably only 10-15 minutes to kick off. He then crossed the road, calm as you like, and wandered straight in to the Horse & Jockey for what we always imagined was the swiftest pint ever supped! Always raised a smile when thinking of that story.

Archived