Dave Hadfield RIP

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP Dave, legend of the game and all round nice guy.

Enjoyed his work and was lucky enough to share a training pitch with him a few times many moons ago in deepest darkest Bolton where he fancied himself as a stand-off!

2 sad losses. Dave H was a true leaguie. 

My favourite memory of David Stephenson was at a game in York. The autumn light was fading as he lined up a conversion from the touch line. A spectator climbed over the fence, and held his lighter above the ball as David ran in to kick it. After it went over, they shook hands and David trotted back for the kick off. 

God rest their souls. 

Very sad loss. 

You could always rely on him to defend RL and he didn't pull any punches in his criticism of RU at a time when other journalists wanted to sweep things under the carpet. 

RIP Dave

A wonderful journalist of the old school is how I will remember David Hadfield.

I do hope someone similar writes his obituary.

One piece I do recall is this,about the late,great,Roy Powell,who I recall watching at the same time as the now departed David Stephenson.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/obituary-roy-powell-1044307.html

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

The “new school” of RL journalists are, largely, lightyears behind Hadfield and his works will be a huge loss.

My Grandad would say that Hadfield knew about the important things in life, rugby, good beer and good pubs. 

I think he's a terrible loss to the game. What incredibly sad news. Back when people read newspapers, he seemed to be the only "pure" Rugby League journalist in the national press. 

An absolute beacon out there often being a lone voice defending the sport across all the broadsheets. 

He played the game as well if I remember correctly. For a Manchester team... Tameside perhaps?

RIP Dave. 

I think because he's not been visible for a few years due to ill health it's easy to forget how big a figure he was for the game in the media. He was a man who held his own in any company and is a terrible loss. 

Thoughts with his family at this sad time. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

7 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Sad news, a true ambassador for the game

Leigh played Widnes midweek in 2006ish having been postponed at the weekend and was a comparatively early kick off compared to these days as I think it was 7.15/7.30. We got the train from Warrington and were a little bit panicky as I think it was only due to arrive after 7pm. We hurriedly got off the train and were walking double pace to make sure we didn't miss kick off. As we hurriedly walked towards the ground, we thought for a moment we actually thought the game had been called off again as Mr Hadfield was walking towards us away from the ground with probably only 10-15 minutes to kick off. He then crossed the road, calm as you like, and wandered straight in to the Horse & Jockey for what we always imagined was the swiftest pint ever supped! Always raised a smile when thinking of that story.

Fabulous - I’m sure he’d smile at that story ! Lovely man - great writer snd a true ‘league’ man. RIP

Great journalist and writer, often seen in The Anvil in Wigan having a pre-match pint before covering a Wigan game.

Top bloke as well as top journo, R.I.P. Dave and condolences to family and friends.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Dave 

On 15/03/2022 at 18:07, Davo5 said:

Just been announced on the Wigan FB page that former Player David Stephenson has passed away at the young age of 63,really good player for club & country.RIP

What a great guy and wonderful RL journalist RIP Dave.

Paul

A great writer - his Open Rugby/RL World pieces were generally the highlight of the mag

His taste in sport was as good as his taste in beer 

Thanks to those who put the tribute links up - I'll have a read

RIP 

33 minutes ago, robins up north said:

Sad news after the editorial it was always Dave's  page I turned  to.  His books were excellent  reads 

They still are, you don't have to stop reading them because he has passed. 😦

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Ran into him many times over the years and happy memories of drinks in several bars in Carcassonne. Last saw him to talk to at launch of Lost In Spain in Marlow and he looked unwell but his mind was as sharp and witty as ever.

RIP Dave, hate the thought won't see you at the Ibis on Gambetta ever again.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

Archived