Super League Broadcasting

Well, weren't we mean to see broadcast quality highlights and coverage of all games? 

A quick look at a non-TV game from the weekend (Salford) shows the exact same quality as last year, one camera, no other angles. 

So what's going on? Did Ken Davey just lie when he said this, and he was wrong in all games having a big screen and video ref. 

Whichever way it was spun, it's the same deal for far less money. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Did Ken Davey just lie when he said this

I tend to assume that the simplest explanation is the right one until compelling reasons come up to change that view.

So, yes. I can't think of another explanation that fits.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

26 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

From 9th February this year: Super League are 'looking into the possibility' of having as video referee at every game - but it won't be this year...

CLICKY

😅

That just sounds like a shambles.

Broadcast quality highlights and video refs at all games were two of the main areas that the game was looking to progress in light of the reduced TV deal. The fact that neither has happened is just typical of the way RL is run.

• Like 1

I’m glad Super League didn’t rush into it and implement a poor attempt at resolving this and are taking their time, hopefully, to make sure it’s implemented properly, financially viably and with the matchday experience in mind. 

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I’m glad Super League didn’t rush into it ...

The new deal was announced 10 months ago.

How slowly would you like them to take it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I’m glad Super League didn’t rush into it and implement a poor attempt at resolving this and are taking their time, hopefully, to make sure it’s implemented properly, financially viably and with the matchday experience in mind. 

Other sports already do this stuff, none of this is new, how long should they take? 

We have had VR's for over 25 years and have trialled VR at non-tv games years ago. 

If we cant afford it fine, but don't lie to us and tell us that the new deal comes with benefits like this. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The new deal was announced 10 months ago.

How slowly would you like them to take it?

We only really heard about screens and the video ref at games maybe four or five months ago. 

As long as it takes regarding video refs. The matchday experience at football is terrible when there’s a VAR check as there is no screen and fans are stood around for 2-3 minutes sometimes wondering what is going on, which at the time feels like a lot longer than a couple of minutes. Currently, televised Super League games have a big screen so any decisions that are referred, the crowd at the match, as well as those at home, can see what is happening and are still involved rather than stood around looking at each other, shaking their heads or shrugging through apathy like I’ve experienced at football games. 

As for camera angles, we’re never going to pick everything up from every angle but those games that aren’t televised do need at least another two or three camera angles for disciplinary purposes and the highlights, which don’t really come across that well on Super League Show or on Sky. This would be my priority over the video referees, as that is a longer process unless they’re definitely putting in big screens at all grounds. 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Other sports already do this stuff, none of this is new, how long should they take? 

We have had VR's for over 25 years and have trialled VR at non-tv games years ago. 

If we cant afford it fine, but don't lie to us and tell us that the new deal comes with benefits like this. 

Other sports have different budgets and broadcasters and other sports might do it but don’t do it well, the Premier League being one. I’d rather we got it right rather than roll out a product that isn’t fit for purpose. I remain hopeful that’s why we’ve been told about this but nothing has materialised as yet. 

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

We only really heard about screens and the video ref at games maybe four or five months ago. 

April 2021: Here's Ken Davy confirming it.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14807537/super-league-boss-ken-davy-believes-smaller-tv-deal-can-bring-new-opportunities/

As long as it takes regarding video refs. The matchday experience at football is terrible when there’s a VAR check as there is no screen and fans are stood around for 2-3 minutes sometimes wondering what is going on, which at the time feels like a lot longer than a couple of minutes. Currently, televised Super League games have a big screen so any decisions that are referred, the crowd at the match, as well as those at home, can see what is happening and are still involved rather than stood around looking at each other, shaking their heads or shrugging through apathy like I’ve experienced at football games. 

As for camera angles, we’re never going to pick everything up from every angle but those games that aren’t televised do need at least another two or three camera angles for disciplinary purposes and the highlights, which don’t really come across that well on Super League Show or on Sky. This would be my priority over the video referees, as that is a longer process unless they’re definitely putting in big screens at all grounds. 

It was almost a year ago, this from April 2021:

SUPER League will have video referees at every match next season after sticking with Sky Sports.

A new two-year broadcast deal has been struck, albeit for what is believed to be a vastly reduced fee.

However, SunSport can reveal increased coverage of games means each of the six matches a week will have video referees, rather than just the televised ones.

That will eliminate claims live games are played to a different set of rules and some tries that are not given would be if they were not on TV.

Next year will see six cameras at every game next season, even ones that are not showed live, meaning on-screen officials will be at each game and replays can be showed on stadiums’ big screens.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14789482/video-refs-to-be-at-all-super-league-matches-after-new-sky-tv-deal-announced/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

You’re quoting The Sun, for one and secondly, there’s no actual quote in that article from Davy confirming The Sun “revelation”, maybe he has said it elsewhere but it’s not in that article.

I’ve no problems if things are pushed back, it happens as per the article Gav has posted above. I’d rather we get the logistics and implementation right before committing, which from what Rhodri Jones says in that article is what is happening. 

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

It was almost a year ago, this from April 2021:

SUPER League will have video referees at every match next season after sticking with Sky Sports.

A new two-year broadcast deal has been struck, albeit for what is believed to be a vastly reduced fee.

However, SunSport can reveal increased coverage of games means each of the six matches a week will have video referees, rather than just the televised ones.

That will eliminate claims live games are played to a different set of rules and some tries that are not given would be if they were not on TV.

Next year will see six cameras at every game next season, even ones that are not showed live, meaning on-screen officials will be at each game and replays can be showed on stadiums’ big screens.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14789482/video-refs-to-be-at-all-super-league-matches-after-new-sky-tv-deal-announced/

Again, The Sun and again, no actual quotes. Maybe that rag had an exclusive but they’ve got details of it wrong, it appears. 

“And one of the really exciting things about the new Sky deal is that there is going to be enhanced production coverage in 2022 and 2023 of every match so there is going to be a big screen and video referee potentially at every match going forward.

“That gives us the opportunity for some free-to-air matches with other broadcasters and also the opportunity to beam every game direct to supporters and the wider public.”

These are quotes from Davy in the Yorkshire Post last year. Now he does caveat with the word potentially, but he states that Sky will have enhanced production coverage - so where is it? 

Just now, Dave T said:

“And one of the really exciting things about the new Sky deal is that there is going to be enhanced production coverage in 2022 and 2023 of every match so there is going to be a big screen and video referee potentially at every match going forward.

“That gives us the opportunity for some free-to-air matches with other broadcasters and also the opportunity to beam every game direct to supporters and the wider public.”

These are quotes from Davy in the Yorkshire Post last year. Now he does caveat with the word potentially, but he states that Sky will have enhanced production coverage - so where is it? 

Is there any reason you’re choosing to ignore the article linked above where Rhodri Jones says it will take time to implement?

You mentioned this six weeks ago before the season started and six weeks later you’re banging the same drum despite an actual employee of Super League saying it’s still very much the plan but it’s pushed back to make sure it’s done properly and to tackle the issues this creates (half the clubs not being able to use their home stadiums, the numbers of referees). 

Just now, Jughead said:

Is there any reason you’re choosing to ignore the article linked above where Rhodri Jones says it will take time to implement?

You mentioned this six weeks ago before the season started and six weeks later you’re banging the same drum despite an actual employee of Super League saying it’s still very much the plan but it’s pushed back to make sure it’s done properly and to tackle the issues this creates (half the clubs not being able to use their home stadiums, the numbers of referees). 

Is there a reason you are ignoring the question I'm asking? 

We were told there would be enhanced coverage of all games. Ignore the VR stuff as that would be possible on the back of multi-camera coverage. 

Where is the promised coverage? 

I asked it before the start of the season as it went quiet. I ask now because we have been lied to. 

Multi angles is literally nothing to do with the other stuff. 

Hi Jughead (Ken?), you've made a ###### of yourself here. I'd stop digging.

Whatever the pros and cons of the video ref, this was sold to us as a justification for the new TV deal and the fact that they haven't even bothered to implement it makes it an outright lie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

Whatever the pros and cons of the video ref, this was sold to us as a justification for the new TV deal and the fact that they haven't even bothered to implement it makes it an outright lie.

I can understand the VR point being delayed if they've got challenges like budgets and number of refs. 

I can understand delays in launching a streaming platform in order for more development. 

I can't understand the lack of enhanced broadcasting coverage. That is something Sky are meant to be providing and has a real monetary value. 

Just now, Dave T said:

Is there a reason you are ignoring the question I'm asking? 

We were told there would be enhanced coverage of all games. Ignore the VR stuff as that would be possible on the back of multi-camera coverage. 

Where is the promised coverage? 

I asked it before the start of the season as it went quiet. I ask now because we have been lied to. 

Multi angles is literally nothing to do with the other stuff. 

I’m not ignoring it. 

The coverage was never “promised”. It was something that they have said would come in 2022, it’s only round five and it’s only March. Rhodri Jones has since been interviewed saying it’s still the intention of Super League to offer these things but there’s many hurdles in the way. I’m not sure why you ignored that six weeks ago and why it’s being ignored again today. 

It is March, it is five weeks into the competition. The 2022 season is still approximately twenty-five weeks in duration. If we get to September and no progress has been made and no communication has been released by Super League regarding an update and maybe even why it’s not materialised as yet (a bit like Rhodri Jones did in February in the article by Aaron Bower), you may have a point. 

I could only imagine the thread had we half arsed this and had a video ref system that was rubbish for the match going fan. 

5 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I’ve read a matchday thread Warrington are involved in. You’d know all about making a fool of yourself. 

It’s not a lie. There’s an article above stating it’s still very much on the cards. It’s a lie if nothing materialises in 2022 and there’s no update as to why or when it has been pushed back to. 

I’m not ignoring it. 

The coverage was never “promised”. It was something that they have said would come in 2022, it’s only round five and it’s only March. Rhodri Jones has since been interviewed saying it’s still the intention of Super League to offer these things but there’s many hurdles in the way. I’m not sure why you ignored that six weeks ago and why it’s being ignored again today. 

It is March, it is five weeks into the competition. The 2022 season is still approximately twenty-five weeks in duration. If we get to September and no progress has been made and no communication has been released by Super League regarding an update and maybe even why it’s not materialised as yet (a bit like Rhodri Jones did in February in the article by Aaron Bower), you may have a point. 

I could only imagine the thread had we half arsed this and had a video ref system that was rubbish for the match going fan. 

You are talking about something different. 

Sky are meant to be producing enhanced coverage. 

They arent. 

I'm not talking about what we then do with it. 

Just now, Dave T said:

You are talking about something different. 

Sky are meant to be producing enhanced coverage. 

They arent. 

I'm not talking about what we then do with it. 

You literally started the thread by trapping off about the video ref and camera angles at games. You’re moving the goalposts. 

I’ve agreed about camera angles but it’s not as easy as just plonking a bloke in a ground with a camera. 

Anyway, I hope Sky and Super League get screens and video refs at games and done in a way in which the matchday atmosphere and experience isn’t tarnished in the same way it is in football. 

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

You literally started the thread by trapping off about the video ref and camera angles at games. You’re moving the goalposts. 

I’ve agreed about camera angles but it’s not as easy as just plonking a bloke in a ground with a camera. 

Anyway, I hope Sky and Super League get screens and video refs at games and done in a way in which the matchday atmosphere and experience isn’t tarnished in the same way it is in football. 

The thread is titled Super League Broadcasting and the first two paras are solely about the enhanced coverage. 

I know its not as easy as plonking a bloke with a camera - that's why it was great news when Davy told us that Sky were providing this level of coverage. 

So where is it? 

Just now, Dave T said:

The thread is titled Super League Broadcasting and the first two paras are solely about the enhanced coverage. 

I know its not as easy as plonking a bloke with a camera - that's why it was great news when Davy told us that Sky were providing this level of coverage. 

So where is it? 

I’m not sure how many more times it needs to be said but there’s an article on this thread that states these remain the intentions, however it’s being worked on to make sure it’s done correctly.

We’re five rounds in, not twenty-five. We’ve been told it’s still the intention of the sport to do these things. We were updated less than a month ago on what’s happening. If we get towards the end of the season and nothing has happened and we’ve not been updated on what’s going on, I’ll be annoyed. At five rounds in where we’ve been updated less than a month ago, I’m prepared to persevere and be patient.