Super League Broadcasting

41 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They’ve changed now, they were previews of England v France in the six nations. 

What time is it over there, are you a milkman by any chance ?

• Haha 1

On 16/03/2022 at 10:53, marklaspalmas said:

The average upload time of a quality highlights package of every single NRL game to their website is about 20-30 minutes I'd guess.

This site:

https://www.superleague.co.uk/video

puts stuff up days later. Often with no commentary.

Either you do it properly or you dont.

I'm always happy to stick the boot it when it's fully deserved.

And I'm always happy to recognise (slight) improvement.

This weekend's games have been uploaded in a timely fashion so far this week.

Re. Dave T's point. Non-televised coverage remains poor.

C4 presentation looks excellent. I've not had a chance to enjoy it yet.

There was a time some years ago when SKY proposed covering all Super League games via the Red Button and Super League decided not to because of the impact on attendances. A view confirmed by this article in 2018 https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/mailbox-super-league-games-shown-live/

Far be it from me to mention that Gallagher Premiership Rugby (union) does offer fans the opportunity to purchase a live stream of their side for £ 4.99 if the game is not on BT / ITV. which poses the question as to whether with SKY now having a non-exclusive deal Super League should follow suit.

There are two points to consuider and whilst this might benefit those of us who live far from the Rugby League heartland.

Point one being that some clubs are it would appear never off SKY so in theory why buy say a St Helens season ticket if you are a current SKY subscriber as you would only have to pay £ 4.99 for all other non-SKY games. Times are hard and this is an economic choice for families in particular.

Point two being are we not supposed to be seeing the best two games of the week on SKY to begin with and when the RFL did stream Samoa v England on Our League the vieweship was claimed to be sub 1,000.

There is a long running attendance thread on here which is partially influenced by the post-COVID tendency to watch sport on TV. So would attendances be further hit by televising all games with the revenue generated through a streaming service being less than the revenue lost at the gate and in merchandise / concession sales ?

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

19 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

There was a time some years ago when SKY proposed covering all Super League games via the Red Button and Super League decided not to because of the impact on attendances. A view confirmed by this article in 2018 https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/mailbox-super-league-games-shown-live/

Far be it from me to mention that Gallagher Premiership Rugby (union) does offer fans the opportunity to purchase a live stream of their side for £ 4.99 if the game is not on BT / ITV. which poses the question as to whether with SKY now having a non-exclusive deal Super League should follow suit.

There are two points to consuider and whilst this might benefit those of us who live far from the Rugby League heartland.

Point one being that some clubs are it would appear never off SKY so in theory why buy say a St Helens season ticket if you are a current SKY subscriber as you would only have to pay £ 4.99 for all other non-SKY games. Times are hard and this is an economic choice for families in particular.

Point two being are we not supposed to be seeing the best two games of the week on SKY to begin with and when the RFL did stream Samoa v England on Our League the vieweship was claimed to be sub 1,000.

There is a long running attendance thread on here which is partially influenced by the post-COVID tendency to watch sport on TV. So would attendances be further hit by televising all games with the revenue generated through a streaming service being less than the revenue lost at the gate and in merchandise / concession sales ?

The Sky one was slightly more complex than that. When red button became a thing, Sky showed a couple of games on it, but it was actually pulled as Sky didn't have the rights for these extra games as such and there was a bit of disagreement over this.

When we moved to the S8's Sky used to show some games on their website, with only one camera. They stopped that after one year, suggesting results weren't great. 

The RU approach is something that I think some expect, and it appeared to have been confirmed that SL now had the rights to be able to do this, and the ability as Sky would film the games with multiple cameras. 

Whether we should do the PPV is an interesting question, it seems to me that a fiver per game is too cheap and for some clubs a fan could watch the majority of their games for a very reasonable annual fee. It feels more like a monthly subscription would be a better business model, although less good for customers. 

We do need to be mindful of eating into the value of the broadcast deals by offering broadcasts ourselves, but I think things like full game replays with quality coverage is a decent starting point, maybe with one game per week for a subscription. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2022 at 18:56, Gav Wilson said:

From 9th February this year: Super League are 'looking into the possibility' of having as video referee at every game - but it won't be this year...

CLICKY

😅

UPDATE: The prospect of video referees being introduced at every Super League has been put on the 'back-burner' due to ongoing talks over rugby league's realignment, according to interim chairman Ken Davy.

CLICKY

😅😅

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Ken has been a wonderfully inspirational leader. Can't believe the voters in Huddersfield didn't make him their MP.

The people of Huddersfield are sensible, that's why.

EDIT _ Apart from the one with the cowbell.

Edited by Gav Wilson
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

UPDATE: The prospect of video referees being introduced at every Super League has been put on the 'back-burner' due to ongoing talks over rugby league's realignment, according to interim chairman Ken Davy.

CLICKY

😅😅

Honestly. I am very, VERY surprised. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jughead said:

Meh, no real issue. I’d find it tougher to justify something as monumental as this introduced half way through a season. 

My personal view on the VR's is that I don't care about them. I know it bothers some, but I dont stress about VR's at some games and not others. As long as the two teams competing are playing by the same rules I don't think it's an issue. 

My main concern is the reason it's on the backburner. Its because of something else unrelated taking their time. I do accept that we have some limitations around resource and we have to prioritise, but it does rather feel like we can only look at one thing at a time. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sky, having offered full broadcast recording of all matches as a sweetener to the deal, can't really be bothered doing it.

If they offered back a fairly paltry amount in the grand scheme of things like say £20k per club I bet we'd bite their hand off. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

49 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sky, having offered full broadcast recording of all matches as a sweetener to the deal, can't really be bothered doing it.

If they offered back a fairly paltry amount in the grand scheme of things like say £20k per club I bet we'd bite their hand off. 

Yup. There is clearly a disconnect with what Davey said Sky would provide and what we have got. And there is literally no reason for it not to happen. 

It would instantly create quality highlights and content, so there is an issue here, either Davey was wrong, Sky are not doing what they are contracted to, or we have changed the terms. 

• Like 2

On 21/03/2022 at 15:26, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Well that opening paragraph was about as depressing as one could get....meanwhile into the 5th year of hoping for a practical way to watch the Super League in the US...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

CLICKY

😅😅

Amazing, glad we can only discuss one thing at a time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.