40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Castleford Tigers

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/03/2022 at 20:12, Padge said:

After  a Russian style abysmal invasion of France, first a slow lucky victory and then a completely bogged down humiliation, Wigan to return to form and actually score in this round.

I am not sure I am entirely happy with Wigan’s role in that analogy. 

Both teams could be quite good once they cut out their errors. We know these players can catch and pass, it’ll come with time. 

I said last week Field would be good in dry weather 😊

I actually thought it was a dangerous tackle for the sin bin, late or not, and was the correct decision. Contact was made to the head so there had to be a card.

4 minutes ago, Niels said:

I said last week Field would be good in dry weather 😊

I actually thought it was a dangerous tackle for the sin bin, late or not, and was the correct decision. Contact was made to the head so there had to be a card.

If that’s a ‘dangerous’ tackle every tackle in the game is ‘dangerous’

Injury update from the Grauniad's Aaron Bower, "Cheyse Blair has a cut in his hand that appears to have gone through the ligaments".

Nasty.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Handing out cards like there's no tomorrow, hope it is worth it when the sport doesn't get sued

Yep just what I was thinking Tommy, the heirarchy of the game seem to be like rabbits in the headlights since those player's came forward with the no duty of care accusations since then they have slowly introduced these "do not touch" rules they are inventing, people are going to be turning away from the game in droves especially those who have lived through other era's of the game, I applaud that 'Thugby League' has been stamped out, but this new form of sanitation is a step in the wrong direction.

38 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Handing out cards like there's no tomorrow, hope it is worth it when the sport doesn't get sued

It's not just about avoiding being sued. The sport won't be allowed to exist in today's world of duty of care if it doesn't act. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

43 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Maybe, just maybe, handing out cards when justified, as in tonight's game, means that the sport is doing the right thing  and therefore won't get "sued".

For those who think the game is pushing up the daisies, an ex-game, bereft of life, you don't really have the power to change anything. It'll be your loss if you desert, and your places will soon be taken by a younger,  more appreciative audience generated from the huge increase in the live coverage of games this season. 

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Describing folk as quality players?

Who buy a bit of time as well.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

May be a Twitter screenshot of 1 person

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah celebrating great attacking play isn’t Rugby League.

I did say good try... or did you want me to say....

It was the most amazing try I've  ever seen, the cas defence was awesome yet he wrong footed them with the best ever fantastic skills...

Or just say as I said good try but let's look at the defence.

His break leading to  liams try was a better example of attacking prowess 

24 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Maybe, just maybe, handing out cards when justified, as in tonight's game, means that the sport is doing the right thing  and therefore won't get "sued".

For those who think the game is pushing up the daisies, an ex-game, bereft of life, you don't really have the power to change anything. It'll be your loss if you desert, and your places will soon be taken by a younger,  more appreciative audience generated from the huge increase in the live coverage of games this season. 

Justified.... I guess that is were the discussion is.

The question is were is the line drawn... most tackles could lead to injury when multiple players can tackle an individual. Do we limit it to one on one... 

50 minutes ago, RayCee said:

It's not just about avoiding being sued. The sport won't be allowed to exist in today's world of duty of care if it doesn't act. 

Typed this earlier but feared being mocked..... anyway, yes, if these such incidents are deemed overly dangerous then the RFL has a moral imperative to stop the game as pretty much any tackle 'could' result in injury to the head. Duty of care.

RL is a gold mine imo and here we are watching this.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

Some really poor efforts from the senior forwards at Wigan tonight I thought, with the younger guys like Smithies, Havard, Byrne and Partington being the ones who helped get the job done. We look like Wigan 2020, which whilst not perfect, is far better than looking like Wigan 2021! We have one magician in the side and when French is back, that will be 2 and we’ll score some seriously impressive try’s I’m sure but we won’t trouble sides in the really big games unless we can find more intensity in the pack and in defence. 

Overall I’m happy with how things have gone so far but there’s a real sense that we still need to improve and we’re still shy of some power in the middle and until that’s sorted we’ll struggle to win anything. 

5 hours ago, RayCee said:

There is no evidence to suggest that the sport won’t be allowed to exist in todays world of duty of care as it currently stands.

Will UFC, Boxing, Rugby Union, American Football, Gaelic Football, Aussie Rules and any other contact sport be able to exist in the future as they all have risks in potentially increasing the chance of brain damage should you ‘choose’ to do them?

I think pretty much everyone is in agreement that the yellow card for Fonua was just not a yellow. There may have been some head on head contact, but I'm not even sure that there was, and if there was, it was accidental and not at all forceful. 

I'll be more concerned if the disciplinary decide to hand out a ban to go with it. If it was just down to over zealous refereeing then I'm ok with that. Mistakes happen and I would imagine the refs are under a lot of pressure right now to clamp down. However if they also hand him a ban they will effectively be saying that the game is heading in a direction that 99% of fans (and players) don't want to see it go in.

6 hours ago, JohnM said:

Just because someone or an organisation gets ‘sued’ doesn’t mean they are at fault or in the wrong. You have to actually win the litigation.

If the RFL or any sport feel they have the right laws and concussion protocols in place then they shouldn’t fear being sued. If that day does come, the game should obviously prepare and defend themselves accordingly via the legal system.

Our game and rules shouldn’t be dictated to by lawyers and doctors who have never stepped foot on a rugby field.

10 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Just because someone or an organisation gets ‘sued’ doesn’t mean they are at fault or in the wrong. You have to actually win the litigation.

If the RFL or any sport feel they have the right laws and concussion protocols in place then they shouldn’t fear being sued. If that day does come, the game should obviously prepare and defend themselves accordingly via the legal system.

Our game and rules shouldn’t be dictated to by lawyers and doctors who have never stepped foot on a rugby field.

Agreed. All the players know the risks and agree to play anyway. RL is a game where you can pick up a concussion despite everything happening completely within the rules of the game. You cannot completely eradicate it.

The problem in the past isn't that head injuries happened, it was the care (or lack of) given to the players that had been injured. How often did we used to see players get up and stagger back into the line whilst the commentators laughed about how they didn't know what day it was. That was the part that we needed to fix up, and on the whole I think we are doing a decent job with that. Physios are on very quick at the first sign of a head knock and the HA protocols seem to be fairly robust. As long as those things are in place and the sport is showing a duty of care to injured players, then handing out a few cards isn't going to make any difference in a potential lawsuit.

Archived