Thurs 17th March : SL : Wigan Warriors v Castleford Tigers KO. 8:00pm SKY

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Castleford Tigers

To take an extreme and silly point one could say, but makes a point about how far we take it...

Having real big players hitting as in tackling small players and other big players group tackling that small bloke surely that is a recipe for injury and certainly rocks the smaller player that could lead to whiplash recurring on a regular basis = not least any other injury.

Surely if a duty of care we should be doing something to mitigate.... like tag

Silly maybe but isn't the above risk a high enough risk to consider rather than ignore given the games focus on high risk injury concerns...

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

And with Huddersfield last week too? 

That there is a clampdown is clear, and no one referee is behind that.

The clampdown isn't the issue. The issue is a small handful of bad calls. 

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

To take an extreme and silly point one could say, but makes a point about how far we take it...

Having real big players hitting as in tackling small players and other big players group tackling that small bloke surely that is a recipe for injury and certainly rocks the smaller player that could lead to whiplash recurring on a regular basis = not least any other injury.

Surely if a duty of care we should be doing something to mitigate.... like tag

Silly maybe but isn't the above risk a high enough risk to consider rather than ignore given the games focus on high risk injury concerns...

The chances of someone who can't take a normal and legal tackle finding themselves in a Super League squad seem low enough to me that this is a completely irrelevant diversion.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

If there is one thing the sport of Rugby League is good at it is making sure any feel good factor doesn't last long.

The number of social media messages from players slagging off the sport that they play is utterly depressing.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

No they are not Tommy, pay attention they are just bad reffing decisions.

To be fair, they can be both Harry, but clearly the Refs urge to air on the side of overkill is a result of the clampdown.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Which are a direct result of the clampdown

There can be a clampdown without these bad calls. 

But let's be clear here, there was hysteria from the first red card of the year. 

As a Wigan fan I thought the sin binning was the wrong decision. We can never be sure how much it affected the final result but it obviously didn’t help Cas.

The sending off was the correct decision.

So, despite Wigan being roundly and correctly slated for their performance at Catalans, they still stand second in the table with 5 wins out of 6 games. They haven’t been great but they must be doing some things right.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There can be a clampdown without these bad calls. 

But let's be clear here, there was hysteria from the first red card of the year. 

As I said to Harry, the clampdown is certainly having the effect of Refs erring on the side of extreme caution. 

It can't be dismissed as hysteria.

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

As I said to Harry, the clampdown is certainly having the effect of Refs erring on the side of extreme caution. 

It's really important to be clear about what the issue is here (if we accept that there is one). 

There have been around 31 yellow cards and 7 red cards so far this year (excluding Toulouse as for some reason they don't feature on the SL site). 

There are two camps emerging imo. 

One who believes the whole clampdown is nonsense and a farce and not needed. These have been moaning since round 1and making literally every card controversial and a talking point as they try to resist this change. 

The second camp have accepted the clampdown, but acknowledge there have been a small number of bad calls. 

I'm firmly in the 2nd camp, but let's be honest, the likes of Lee Radford has been in camp 1 from the start. 

My view is that there is a small number of cards that are OTT and they need to be the focus of any review work. But those in camp one don't believe this clampdown is needed. See Netherton's tweets as a perfect example. 

With any change there will be mistakes, imho last nights yellow was a mistake by Kendall and the VR. 

34 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The trouble today is ref's are not allowed to stamp there own personality and and interpretation on how a game can be controlled, it is not their fault though it is the instructions they are given and also being scrutinized by a panel of TV experts in every decision they make, that said, the very same refs in my opinion perform very much better in games that are not televised, but there will be a lot of people not aware of that.🙄

54 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

If there is one thing the sport of Rugby League is good at it is making sure any feel good factor doesn't last long.

The number of social media messages from players slagging off the sport that they play is utterly depressing.

Let's hope not too many people listen to these players. If they did, the same players wouldn't have jobs.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The trouble today is ref's are not allowed to stamp there own personality and and interpretation on how a game can be controlled, it is not their fault though it is the instructions they are given and also being scrutinized by a panel of TV experts in every decision they make, that said, the very same refs in my opinion perform very much better in games that are not televised, but there will be a lot of people not aware of that.🙄

So which is it, they are allowed to use their own interpretation or they aren't? 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So which is it, they are allowed to use their own interpretation or they aren't? 

You need to establish "Are they a character?" first.

If they are a character then this means they "understand the game", so, yes, they are allowed to.

If they are not a character then they will want to make themselves the centre of attention and they will not be allowed to.

Unfortunately, their character rating can only be understood after the game.

We call this the "Utter Bellhooks" paradox.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

24 minutes ago, Dave T said:

With any change there will be mistakes, imho last nights yellow was a mistake by Kendall and the VR. 

So this incident oversteps your threshold and should be scrutinised? I would hazard a guess that there are more people in your Camp 1 who consider that the sanitation process of previous year's should have already reached it's pinnicle.

Funilly though it seems that those you have been chastising for making comments and seemingly had enough of this clampdown, are people directly involvedi i.e. those in the firing line the player's themselves.

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes I would love it to be has it used to be, when we could have a moan and groan or say he is a better one of the ref who was allocated your game, but as I say those who go to watch live games and observe the self same refs see a different version than the one on TV.

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You need to establish "Are they a character?" first.

If they are a character then this means they "understand the game", so, yes, they are allowed to.

If they are not a character then they will want to make themselves the centre of attention and they will not be allowed to.

Unfortunately, their character rating can only be understood after the game.

We call this the "Utter Bellhooks" paradox.

Let me throw some names in your direction Eric Clay, Fred Lindop, Billy Thompson, John Holdsworth I could go on, you knew what you were getting before the game each reffed in their own style, their 'character rating' was well understood before not after a game, no paradox required.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Let me throw some names in your direction Eric Clay, Fred Lindop, Billy Thompson, John Holdsworth I could go on, you knew what you were getting before the game each reffed in their own style, their 'character rating' was well understood before not after a game, no paradox required.

In your opinion what were the differences between them?

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So this incident oversteps your threshold and should be scrutinised? I would hazard a guess that there are more people in your Camp 1 who consider that the sanitation process of previous year's should have already reached it's pinnicle.

Funilly though it seems that those you have been chastising for making comments and seemingly had enough of this clampdown, are people directly involvedi i.e. those in the firing line the player's themselves.

People do stupid things to themselves. I've made this point before, but I expect players would vote for bringing back the biff, it doesn't mean we should. 

Who do we listen to?

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes I would love it to be has it used to be, when we could have a moan and groan or say he is a better one of the ref who was allocated your game, but as I say those who go to watch live games and observe the self same refs see a different version than the one on TV.

You are contradicting yourself. You say they aren't able to use their own judgement, but they do when not on TV. 

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

People don't like change, we know that. 

But we need to be careful in assuming the loudest are the biggest group. Those who have no issues are just cracking on. 

My personal view is that I don't go to a game to watch a late hit or a sinbin, so if the punishment for that is a yellow or red card now, I expect the players to adjust accordingly. 

It's why I disagreed with Fonua's yellow. I don't think it was reckless and was marginally late and could absolutely be classed as unavoidable. 

28 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You are contradicting yourself. You say they aren't able to use their own judgement, but they do when not on TV. 

Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly, my opinion is that refs on televised games are seemingly afraid to make any decisions as Kendall did last night in not backing himself to award Griffin's try when stood 3 feet away, and in general play it looks to me as though they are working to instruction, when given the freedom of not being in view of the 'all seeing eye' that is the television cameras they officiate the game differently.

5 hours ago, del capo said:

Fonua crouching ready for a good hit. I called this at half time as  'head on head' a few pages ago and got ridiculed.

Now maybe other posters have  had a look and are thinking....

Definitely not deliberate but in the current climate has to be a 10 min yellow. I expect the Discipline will agree and no further action necessary.......

Sky punters and presenters up to their usual high standards of coverage on this one......

Don’t forget he was carded for the ‘late’ hit.

But if that is the case, this is where the system is weighted against the ‘offending’ player.  Punished for one offence but then after looking at it on video, punish for another.

Archived