Back to the future for Ryan Hampshire

From his time at Leigh, I consider him to be an average player and I would question if he is SL quality, and I think that his signing by a club that is struggling at the moment and could do with an injection of influential players just goes to show how short we are in producing enough talented lads in this country.

56 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

From his time at Leigh, I consider him to be an average player and I would question if he is SL quality, and I think that his signing by a club that is struggling at the moment and could do with an injection of influential players just goes to show how short we are in producing enough talented lads in this country.

How do we produce more talented players the Harry?

56 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Average is a great word for him. The way his family and friends bulled him up at Wakefield, saying how important he was, but also crictising the coach was amazing. No wonder they didn't give him a new deal, and gave him a smaller one the time prior to that. A lesson for young players, keep your family away and get a decent agent.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

How do we produce more talented players the Harry?

Personally I think it’s the structure of the game at the moment, it’s too top down. We need to be getting more youngsters playing the game, in Yorkshire there is an alarming drop off in amateur clubs who ultimately start the players journey and if that’s not working the players will drift off to different sports.

7 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Well, that’s not strictly true.  Just not Cat 1 academy.

Why not LD,

Wigan, Wire and Saints take Leigh lads in fact in the last 12 months Wigan signed 8 Leigh kids to their Scholarship whilst only taking on 2 from Wigan. So why in your opinion should Leigh be denied these kids and it is OK for our big neighbour's?

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Why not LD,

Wigan, Wire and Saints take Leigh lads in fact in the last 12 months Wigan signed 8 Leigh kids to their Scholarship whilst only taking on 2 from Wigan. So why in your opinion should Leigh be denied these kids and it is OK for our big neighbour's?

That’s the way it is and always will be. Just the same as some kids will go from one side of Hull to play at the other side.  Chance of opportunity, chance to play for their favourite team, money, whatever.

Isn't his off field baggage an issue? That's always been the rumour anyway and his social media stuff supports it. 

A player who is available because no one else would sign him isn't a great look for Cas.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

That’s the way it is and always will be. Just the same as some kids will go from one side of Hull to play at the other side.  Chance of opportunity, chance to play for their favourite team, money, whatever.

And for a local kid to Leigh, there is no chance to play for his town teams Cat 1 academy we can't have one, not even with 400K put to one side and assigned for it, now please tell me why that should be, is it to protect our near neighbours choice from an ever decreasing pool of available talent, has I said before it stinks.

37 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And for a local kid to Leigh, there is no chance to play for his town teams Cat 1 academy we can't have one, not even with 400K put to one side and assigned for it, now please tell me why that should be, is it to protect our near neighbours choice from an ever decreasing pool of available talent, has I said before it stinks.

Why not use some of that money to start something, rather than nothing, and re-apply in 2024?

6 hours ago, M j M said:

Isn't his off field baggage an issue? That's always been the rumour anyway and his social media stuff supports it. 

A player who is available because no one else would sign him isn't a great look for Cas.

What’s the off field baggage stuff about?

On 17/03/2022 at 13:03, Saint Toppy said:

This really smacks of a bit of a desperation signing by Cas. Surely they must have a decent young FB from their Reserves / Academy who could step in for a few weeks ??

Obviously not.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

The present licences are up to 2027, not much point in applying in 2024.

I could have quite easily responded with a one liner but, because i want to see academies and kids develop, attached this link.  Have a read. 

If Beaumonts approach is something like "we have £400k doing nothing", then I suggest a re-think. 

Employ a good coach to run it.  Someone with ambition and a genuine intent to develop kids.  Something Peet appears to have been or any others like him, and kids will play.

https://rugby-league.com/article/35148/academy-licensing,-2022-27

11 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I could have quite easily responded with a one liner but, because i want to see academies and kids develop, attached this link.  Have a read. 

If Beaumonts approach is something like "we have £400k doing nothing", then I suggest a re-think. 

Employ a good coach to run it.  Someone with ambition and a genuine intent to develop kids.  Something Peet appears to have been or any others like him, and kids will play.

https://rugby-league.com/article/35148/academy-licensing,-2022-27

Thanks for the clarification LD, Leigh does have have affiliation with the local Further Education Institution, and the extract below is a complete fabrication, the competition is anything but Highly Competitive in fact it OS as much use as a button on a sock.

These clubs will be able to operate Development Academies which are run in conjunction with Further Education Institutions, and play in the highly competitive Colleges competition. 

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Thanks for the clarification LD, Leigh does have have affiliation with the local Further Education Institution, and the extract below is a complete fabrication, the competition is anything but Highly Competitive in fact it OS as much use as a button on a sock.

These clubs will be able to operate Development Academies which are run in conjunction with Further Education Institutions, and play in the highly competitive Colleges competition. 

Clubs whose applications were unsuccessful have been provided with an explanation, and advised that they will be able to reapply in 2024.

14 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

You asked how can we produce more SL players, I said don´t ban them from having an academy to which you responded "Don´t worry, Leigh are only banned from having a full time academy to produce full time players". That´s the point. 

Show me that exact quote.

See my comments to Harry.  If Leigh can’t have a Cat 2 academy why not start their own set up.  There seems to always be reference to this £400k available to fund an academy so why not start using it to develop something rather than nothing.  

Archived