Halifax

pmac

1 hour ago, Unicorn 106 said:

I agree, but the difference being they had time to sort it out due to the Covid lock down. We could do with a ten month breakat the moment.

Every club have signed players and continue to sign players who they believe will do the job required, like I say we have underestimated both the opposition and level of player required, however it's not to late in my opinion , a few new recruits with championship experience could quickly change our fortunes, I'm sure Chris and the board are doing everything in there power to address the situation šŸ¤ž

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Unicorn 106 said:

It was refreshing not to hear " get em onside ref " all game, I'm usually one of them shouting it. I didn't hear anyone shouting at the ref and rightly so, he was exceptional compared to what we usually get. I think we all go to DP ā·these days hoping we don't get hammered and the team give it everything. I though full time Fax were very good yesterday on a dry nice surface but I disagree tha we didn't want to be there. We had some great field positions but just lack the size and a bit of nous to get over the line. You got the feeling yesterday that we haven't lost the support of the fans who were there, I didn't hear hardly any derogatory comments and the fans were supportive to the very end. We knew it was going to be like this but it's what we all wanted. I'm sure none of us expected getting wins against the teams we have played, Sheffield maybe, but that was a shocking display from us. I can't honestly see where the firsts points are coming from, but I hope we all keep backing Chris and the board by turning up every game and getting behind them. I hope Curtis Teare's injury isn't too bad, I was more concerned about that than the result walking out, we have no luck with injuries do we. UTT

Fax aren't full time. Unusually i missed yesterday's game but this result had been coming for us. We have an excellent squad but have had horrendous luck with injuries, as your team have, and a very difficult start to the season fixture wise. Hopefully this result will set us up for a good run now.

We are playing teams week in and week out that have been in this division a long time and these teams know how this league works .

We are new to this division and people are saying or Halifax have only won 1 out of 4 but as we seen yesterday they are a very good team.

We are going the right way butĀ  we need a couple of championship players in just to give us a hand and a boost up this league and I think Chris and the board are trying to do thisĀ 

3 hours ago, Unicorn 106 said:

It was refreshing not to hear " get em onside ref " all game, I'm usually one of them shouting it. I didn't hear anyone shouting at the ref and rightly so, he was exceptional compared to what we usually get. I think we all go to DP ā·these days hoping we don't get hammered and the team give it everything. I though full time Fax were very good yesterday on a dry nice surface but I disagree tha we didn't want to be there. We had some great field positions but just lack the size and a bit of nous to get over the line. You got the feeling yesterday that we haven't lost the support of the fans who were there, I didn't hear hardly any derogatory comments and the fans were supportive to the very end. We knew it was going to be like this but it's what we all wanted. I'm sure none of us expected getting wins against the teams we have played, Sheffield maybe, but that was a shocking display from us. I can't honestly see where the firsts points are coming from, but I hope we all keep backing Chris and the board by turning up every game and getting behind them. I hope Curtis Teare's injury isn't too bad, I was more concerned about that than the result walking out, we have no luck with injuries do we. UTT

Well Said Unicorn

We are all upset that we are not winning - but all of us on here should read the above from unicorn 106 as i believe its the most accurate opinion on here at present

A Young "Part Time"Ā  team of players who have played most of their matches in L1 or amateur are always going to struggle against a "Full Time " team that have played most of their matches at the Top end of an higher league.

We are still in the the building phase. Fax like the other top championship sides have had more Central funding money than us for years now, we like the rest of L1 get very little.

Ben Thaler is class - he is the modern day Billy ThompsonĀ  - he has total respect from both teams and all the crowd unlike some of the dross we get up here who have no idea what they are doing and just run round the field like a kid who has got a new whistle for Christmas.

I hope Curtis Teare's injury isn't too bad, but never sounds good when family member called to office?

I dont think our players didn't try - i thought Fax had a very good defence.

This year has already been better than anything served up over the last few years in L1 and I have enjoyed every match apart from Sheffield.

Roll on YorkĀ  - UTT

18 hours ago, Spike said:

I didn't hear anyone shouting at the referee? Where abouts was this? Everyone I was stood with appreciated his performanceĀ 

I would have Ben thaler every week and control's the game from start to finish. šŸ‰šŸ‰šŸ‰

31 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Well Said Unicorn

We are all upset that we are not winning - but all of us on here should read the above from unicorn 106 as i believe its the most accurate opinion on here at present

A Young "Part Time"Ā  team of players who have played most of their matches in L1 or amateur are always going to struggle against a "Full Time " team that have played most of their matches at the Top end of an higher league.

We are still in the the building phase. Fax like the other top championship sides have had more Central funding money than us for years now, we like the rest of L1 get very little.

Ben Thaler is class - he is the modern day Billy ThompsonĀ  - he has total respect from both teams and all the crowd unlike some of the dross we get up here who have no idea what they are doing and just run round the field like a kid who has got a new whistle for Christmas.

I hope Curtis Teare's injury isn't too bad, but never sounds good when family member called to office?

This year has already been better than anything served up over the last few years in L1 and I have enjoyed every match apart from Sheffield.

Roll on YorkĀ  - UTT

Teams can be better than you but full commitment , enthusiasm and effort should be a given and playing to the max of what you have . We often speak of this and weā€™ve seen it in other games. Sorry yesterday for a big majority of that game I didnā€™t see it which was concerning . We never got among them at all . They were just running around like a training run until they cut us open . They had it all their own way with the ball , and that very good defence had virtually nothing to worry them . Weā€™ve seen more than that before . It was just way to easy . I said it was soul destroying straight away , and I still think it was . You were just sitting watching , there was nothing to lift you . I worry where we go after that , we looked sapped of everything after loss after loss and a weekly physical domination . Itā€™s a big job for Chris now to lift them . I noticed he was out the dressing room at half time after about five minutes so that told a tale . I agree about this league being a big improvement but days like yesterday are a tough watchĀ 

17 hours ago, DavidM said:

I take it ODonnell and Walker are still on the naughty step ?

I was asking the same question yesterday David, but got told they were both on the injury list from the Barrow game.??Ā 

35 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Well Said Unicorn

Roll on YorkĀ  - UTT

Yeah but we can't just go back down saying oh well that was better than league 1 and if it wasn't for the lack of funding or being last promoted or the other teams being establishedĀ  in it so what chance did we have? At times we've looked good enough and other times woefully outclassed . Will we beat Dewsbury and London home and away? Nope . Will we beat them once? probably.Ā Ā 

We've got two forwards injured and one banned.. that'll happen to all teams..but it leaves us with one forward on the bench, that needs addressing and because of that we've got a centre in the pack, a winger at centre and a centre on the wing.Ā 

Ā 

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Teams can be better than you but full commitment , enthusiasm and effort should be a given and playing to the max of what you have . We often speak of this and weā€™ve seen it in other games. Sorry yesterday for a big majority of that game I didnā€™t see it which was concerning . We never got among them at all . They were just running around like a training run until they cut us open . They had it all their own way with the ball , and that very good defence had virtually nothing to worry them . Weā€™ve seen more than that before . It was just way to easy . I said it was soul destroying straight away , and I still think it was . You were just sitting watching , there was nothing to lift you . I worry where we go after that , we looked sapped of everything after loss after loss and a weekly physical domination . Itā€™s a big job for Chris now to lift them . I noticed he was out the dressing room at half time after about five minutes so that told a tale . I agree about this league being a big improvement but days like yesterday are a tough watchĀ 

Commitment and enthusiasm count for a lot in rugby league, and does make up for a bit in lack of skills, Chris has said he wants a small mobile pack, that is part of our downfall in my view, now I'm going to say what hasn't been said, is Chris actually up to the job, because it doesn't seem that he can get the best out of the players week in and week out,Ā  he maybe a great bloke that a lot of people keep saying he is, but that is not enough to play at this level.Ā Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Derwent Parker said:

Ā 

Ā 

The problem is you canā€™t build in this league. Itā€™s sink or swim. If we go down then Haven and Barrow will be in for the likes of Teare, Barnes, Henson, Fitzsimmons etc and you couldnā€™t blame them for going. Then youā€™re back to square one.

The only way of surviving in this league is throwing everything you have at it. Itā€™s a gamble but clubs like us have to decide whether we are going to give the Championship a proper go (which means spending money) or whether we are going to be a top 4 League 1 team, because we canā€™t be both.

Iā€™m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, JMB said:

is Chris actually up to the job,

IMO yes he is. However Town probably came up a year too soon and the club had a limited budget to compete in a strongĀ  league.Ā  Barrow have chucked money at it. Haven are in their 2nd season and charge upto 25% more on entry. Newcastle have chucked money at it and the rest are in the main heartlands barring London.Ā 

4 minutes ago, town4me said:

IMO yes he is. However Town probably came up a year too soon and the club had a limited budget to compete in a strongĀ  league.Ā  Barrow have chucked money at it. Haven are in their 2nd season. Newcastle have chucked money at it and the rest are in the main heartlands barring London.Ā 

fully respect and agree with your comments, but Its the mixed performances by the team that makes me make these comments,Ā  and with these mixed performances questions must be asked on both the players attitude and how the coach is addressing these problems, as the buck stops with him.Ā 

Agree with most posters on here , and it was clear after 10 mins the fire and enthusiasm of last week was`nt there .Far too predictable near the line and was noticeable Chris didn`t spend long in the changing rooms at half time , i am afraid it is a tough watch this season .

I'm on the fence when it comes to Chris Thorman, but I do think he needs a chance to address the issues faced this season with a fair crack at the league one title in 2023. At the end of the day, he is still learning his trade, plus I don't know who else we could fetch in as there's always upheaval and a rebuilding phase with a new coach.Ā  HeĀ did well to get us out of League one in difficult circumstances, and I agree promotion came a year too early, but is there ever a good time to get promoted as all teams need to bolster their ranks with a little bit of quality, but for whatever reason we haven't done that - and it could be purely and simply down to the fact that by the time we won promotion all the identified players which could improve the squad were already signed up for the season with other clubs.Ā 

I do think the club needs a defensive coach, as our defence has been woeful at times.

As I've said in a previous post, I can't honestly see where a league win will come from with the current squad, and I would rather use this season as a 'steep' learning curve and start to plan for a promotion tilt next season. That means tying our better players down with an extended contract and targeting players who can help us get promotion at the first attempt.Ā 

I've no idea how the coaches identify players, or if there's a scouting system in place to trawl round the amateur scene, or if its just done from the rumour mill that 'such and such' is a good player and worth a look, but again that's maybe something the coaches need to discuss with the BOD and look to re-establish a scouting network that covers the county.

Ā 

13 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

That means tying our better players down with an extended contract

Are contracts not null and void on relegation?Ā  It's all about having the best locals topped up with some out of county quality. We have some good locals and youngsters with great potential but can they be picked off on relegation.Ā 

9 minutes ago, town4me said:

Are contracts not null and void on relegation?Ā  It's all about having the best locals topped up with some out of county quality. We have some good locals and youngsters with great potential but can they be picked off on relegation.Ā 

Honestly wouldn't know, a contract can be whatever you want it to beĀ 

1 hour ago, town4me said:

IMO yes he is. However Town probably came up a year too soon and the club had a limited budget to compete in a strongĀ  league.Ā  Barrow have chucked money at it. Haven are in their 2nd season and charge upto 25% more on entry. Newcastle have chucked money at it and the rest are in the main heartlands barring London.Ā 

Haven charge more than you, yes, as do, probably, all the other clubs in the Championship. Money has to be raised from somewhere. Central funding has been severely cut and all clubs face that challenge. However if you canā€™t afford to make signings and get relegated is that worth it for saving a couple of quid on admission? As for coming up too soon how would the club manage on lower gates, even less funding and having to travel to Cornwall, West Wales, London, Birmingham etc. likewise do you really want to go back to that?Ā 

25 minutes ago, Marrafan said:

Haven charge more than you, yes, as do, probably, all the other clubs in the Championship. Money has to be raised from somewhere. Central funding has been severely cut and all clubs face that challenge. However if you canā€™t afford to make signings and get relegated is that worth it for saving a couple of quid on admission? As for coming up too soon how would the club manage on lower gates, even less funding and having to travel to Cornwall, West Wales, London, Birmingham etc. likewise do you really want to go back to that?Ā 

I'm not knocking haven as I understand why they are doing it. No nobody wants to back to that but if any club can't Compete then a return is inevitable. As for being promoted too soon maybe an extra year developing the squad and under a new chairman may have helped but hey that's water under the bridge now. Fingers crossed it can be turned around.

3 hours ago, troutmaster said:

I was asking the same question yesterday David, but got told they were both on the injury list from the Barrow game.??Ā 

I'd heard a rumor Walker was on the verge of going back to Seaton, didn't believe it myself as I'd like to think a young lad like that would stick it out

21 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

I'd heard a rumor Walker was on the verge of going back to Seaton, didn't believe it myself as I'd like to think a young lad like that would stick it out

Iā€™m hoping itā€™s an injury as we donā€™t have many attacking threats so you just have to have them all in the 17 somewhereĀ 

31 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Iā€™m hoping itā€™s an injury as we donā€™t have many attacking threats so you just have to have them all in the 17 somewhereĀ 

From what I've seen he's had a good start to life in the pro game so I'm hoping it was just a rumor, kid looks a good one.Ā 

12 minutes ago, Town0682 said:

Is the rule not back that a 1st yr pro can return to his amateur team for game time or is covid still stopping it? Hopefully only that if there is a rumour floating round.Ā 

Can't play in conference

1 hour ago, donald said:

Can't play in conference

Correct, so with no disrespect to the Carla league, what benefit would he get from going back,Ā 

3 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

That would be a travesty if we allowed that to happen , what's the point identifying fantastic young talents like him then giving them a reason to want to leave?Ā 

Archived