Leeds threepeat side v current St Helens side

Which side is better? Leeds side had some legends and although in the big games they were brilliant they did struggle with consistency throughout the season. The current Saints side have been consistent and also been able to turn that consistency into 3 consecutive GF wins. 

Just to make clear, the Leeds threepeat side won the LLS in 2009 and were 1 point behind St Helens for the LLS in both 2007 and 2008.

That threepeat side wasn't the same as the 2011 and 2012 title winning sides, who were far more inconsistent in the regular season.

If Saints continue this dominance I'm looking forward to the fourmidables and the fivewires. 

I'm running out of adequate superlatives to describe this performance.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

To repeat something is to do something twice.  I would have thought threepeat would be to repeat something three times and so to actually do the thing 4 times.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 hours ago, hullste said:

Which side is better? Leeds side had some legends and although in the big games they were brilliant they did struggle with consistency throughout the season. The current Saints side have been consistent and also been able to turn that consistency into 3 consecutive GF wins. 

I think you’re confusing the threepeat side with the side in 2015 that did the treble.

The typical Leeds side from 2009

1. Brent Webb

2. Scott Donald

3. Lee Smith

4. Keith Senior

5. Ryan Hall

6. Danny Mcguire

7. Rob Burrow

8. Kylie Leuluai

9. Danny Buderus

10. Jamie Peacock

11. JJB

12. Ali Lauititi

13. Kevin Sinfield

That is one hell of a starting line up and just shows how far we have fallen.

47 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

To repeat something is to do something twice.  I would have thought threepeat would be to repeat something three times and so to actually do the thing 4 times.

Yeah, and the Millennium started in 2001 so the celebrations were a year early.

Completely ruined this block of one thousand years for me, that did.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

I think you’re confusing the threepeat side with the side in 2015 that did the treble.

1. Brent Webb

2. Scott Donald

3. Lee Smith

4. Keith Senior

5. Ryan Hall

6. Danny Mcguire

7. Rob Burrow

8. Kylie Leuluai

9. Danny Buderus

10. Jamie Peacock

11. JJB

12. Ali Lauititi

13. Kevin Sinfield

What a team that is!

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

1. Brent Webb

2. Scott Donald

3. Lee Smith

4. Keith Senior

5. Ryan Hall

6. Danny Mcguire

7. Rob Burrow

8. Kylie Leuluai

9. Danny Buderus

10. Jamie Peacock

11. JJB

12. Ali Lauititi

13. Kevin Sinfield

Yes it's not a contest really. Let's look at the Saints team that lost the 2009 Grand Final to that Leeds team.

1. Wellens 2. Gardner 3. Gidley 4. Eastmond 5. Meli 6. Pryce 7. Long 8. Graham 9. Cunningham 10. Puletua 11. Flannery 12. Wilkin 13. Gilmour - Subs: Roby, Hargreaves, Clough, Fa'asavalu

How many of the current Saints 17 would actually get into that team that didn't even win the comp?

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Yes it's not a contest really. Let's look at the Saints team that lost the 2009 Grand Final to that Leeds team.

1. Wellens 2. Gardner 3. Gidley 4. Eastmond 5. Meli 6. Pryce 7. Long 8. Graham 9. Cunningham 10. Puletua 11. Flannery 12. Wilkin 13. Gilmour - Subs: Roby, Hargreaves, Clough, Fa'asavalu

How many of the current Saints 17 would actually get into that team that didn't even win the comp?

Id say a couple especially the wingers but that Saints team in 2009 is full of class.

the 00s were really a golden period for SL teams IMO partly due to the talent we could attract from overseas.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Hard to judge, our current backline is smaller but extremely fast and skillful. I would at least take Makinson, Percival and Grace over Gardner, Eastmond and Meli. Walmsley over Hargreaves, Knowles over Clough, Paasi over Fa’asavalu. Whilst the 2009 team slightly has the edge on paper, I’m not sure they would actually beat the current team.

2 minutes ago, JonNgog said:

Whilst the 2009 team slightly has the edge on paper, I’m not sure they would actually beat the current team.

Which is one thing you could say with 100% confidence about the respective Leeds squads. The 2009 one would murder the current one.

I can only think of Newman and Oledski (maybe fusitua) that would make the Leeds 17 of 2009

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Yeah, and the Millennium started in 2001 so the celebrations were a year early.

Completely ruined this block of one thousand years for me, that did.

I know. The artist formally known as Prince had a lot to answer for.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

43 minutes ago, Scubby said:

There’s arguably a case for most of the current side getting in that 2009 side. 

I’d certainly have Makinson and Grace over those two wingers and Walmsley would get in over Puletua. I’d personally go for Lewis Dodd over a 33 year-old Sean Long, who was playing his final game and wasn’t the player he once was, and you could probably argue a case for Lomax over Pryce, Batchelor over Flannery and Knowles over Gilmour (who was 31 and also playing his final game for the club) in that starting XIII. 

As for the bench, Paasi and Matautia over Hargreaves and Fa’asavalu. 

I will praise this current Saints side to the hilt but I can’t get away from the fact that the quality of their challengers is at an all time low IMO. Wigan are still trying to get over Wanes exit and the appalling decision to appoint Lam as a 3 year caretaker. Leeds are lost after their era of success, Wire have half their salary cap tied up in 2 halfbacks and that leaves Catalans as their nearest challenger (and they won’t beat this Saints side to anything).

I listened to Knowles on the Out of Your League podcast saying he feels a 4th title on the trot will cement them as the best superleague side ever and I just don’t buy it. That Saints side with Wellens, Lyon, Long, Cunningham, Graham and Sculthorpe in it would put 30 on this mob, as would the great Leeds side. They are easily the best side of a truly dreadful era but that is where it starts and ends. 

19 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

1. Brent Webb

2. Scott Donald

3. Lee Smith

4. Keith Senior

5. Ryan Hall

6. Danny Mcguire

7. Rob Burrow

8. Kylie Leuluai

9. Danny Buderus

10. Jamie Peacock

11. JJB

12. Ali Lauititi

13. Kevin Sinfield

Not just Leeds.

I'm agreeing with WN83

Saints are a very good side but lets be fair Super League has been going downhill for a while now.

So its not suprising saints look good.

Stick em up an against NRL team and i think we would see they aren't as good as some think.. just my imo.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Archived