Super League head coach shortlist

Tony Smith, Tony Smith, Tony Smith, Tony Smith....ad infinitum...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

But you are talking about McNamara and Watson, two people who already hold those jobs?

Leeds is in the top 1 or 2 jobs in the country. It is a huge organisation with great development and potential for 15k+ crowds. Of course McNamara and Watson would be tempted if approached.

Leeds should be going for the best coach they think will return them to Old Trafford on a regular basis regardless of whether they have a job or not.

20 hours ago, Scubby said:

Leeds is in the top 1 or 2 jobs in the country. It is a huge organisation with great development and potential for 15k+ crowds. Of course McNamara and Watson would be tempted if approached.

Leeds should be going for the best coach they think will return them to Old Trafford on a regular basis regardless of whether they have a job or not.

Pretty arrogant statement to make, particularly for McNamara who's currently at a better club than Leeds. Unless there's a massive financial incentive why would he want to break his contract with Catalans, uproot his family from France, and leave a well performing team to take on a role at a club struggling near the bottom of the league with the threat of relegation hanging over them ?

Similarly for Watson, after a fairly average 1st year at Hudds he's finally shaping the side into the team he wants. Why would he want to abandon that 1 year into his 3yr contract ?

In addition neither Hudds or Catalans are in desperate financial trouble so can afford to tell Leeds to stick any offer they make where the sun don't shine.

Leeds fans are deluded if they think they can just click their fingers and see every coach clamour to take the job at Headingly.

Leeds are fast turning into the Man Utd of the RL world, Used to be a top club winning trophies regularly, now nothing more than average with the head coach's job something of a poisoned chalice.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Pretty arrogant statement to make, particularly for McNamara who's currently at a better club than Leeds. Unless there's a massive financial incentive why would he want to break his contract with Catalans, uproot his family from France, and leave a well performing team to take on a role at a club struggling near the bottom of the league with the threat of relegation hanging over them ?

Similarly for Watson, after a fairly average 1st year at Hudds he's finally shaping the side into the team he wants. Why would he want to abandon that 1 year into his 3yr contract ?

In addition neither Hudds or Catalans are in desperate financial trouble so can afford to tell Leeds to stick any offer they make where the sun don't shine.

Leeds fans are deluded if they think they can just click their fingers and see every coach clamour to take the job at Headingly.

McNamara has spent 6 years in France. He may love it there or he may be tempted to come back to the UK if approached by one of the big UK clubs. He is the best English candidate for Leeds by a country mile.

We can't assume anything about family circumstances - I think his son plays at Hull. What we do know is that McNamara knows how to build culture and great development system and that is exactly what Leeds need to get back to the top. I hope he stays at Catalans.

7 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Leeds are fast turning into the Man Utd of the RL world, Used to be a top club winning trophies regularly, now nothing more than average with the head coach's job something of a poisoned chalice.

I'm sure Watson would jump at the Leeds job - and this would be a perfect time to take it from a Leeds perspective, but it's too early from a Hudds perspective.  End of the season might be possible but I think Watson might fancy progressing what he has started there.

There is no doubt the Leeds RL job is one of the biggest and this is a great time for a top coach to take the role as they have been poorly coached for years with lots of latent improvement in the squad.

21 minutes ago, Scubby said:

McNamara has spent 6 years in France. He may love it there or he may be tempted to come back to the UK if approached by one of the big UK clubs. He is the best English candidate for Leeds by a country mile.

We can't assume anything about family circumstances - I think his son plays at Hull. What we do know is that McNamara knows how to build culture and great development system and that is exactly what Leeds need to get back to the top. I hope he stays at Catalans.

Given at the end of last season he signed a 2yr contract extension that now takes him up to 2024 can't see why he currently has any interest in coming back to the UK

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Given at the end of last season he signed a 2yr contract extension that now takes him up to 2024 can't see why he currently has any interest in coming back to the UK

Nobody else made him an offer. We don't know if that extension has a break if offered an NRL job or whatever. As I said, I would want him to remain there he is perfect for Catalans. Leeds job is to get the best person they possibly can - he is the best UK candidate by far.

If they are looking to Australia Shane Flanagan is the best person without a club atm. Either would do a great job at Leeds. They should be in that top 4 and pushing for honours every single season given the resources and catchment they have.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Nobody else made him an offer. We don't know if that extension has a break if offered an NRL job or whatever. As I said, I would want him to remain there he is perfect for Catalans. Leeds job is to get the best person they possibly can - he is the best UK candidate by far.

If they are looking to Australia Shane Flanagan is the best person without a club atm. Either would do a great job at Leeds. They should be in that top 4 and pushing for honours every single season given the resources and catchment they have.

I don’t think Flanagan is a bad call.  Granted I don’t know his promotion chances within the Dragons or what his plans are but Leeds are one of the few teams we have who would offer the right kind of money to tempt him.

The only negative I see in that is that Agar will still be there.  Far from perfect situation imo

5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

The only negative I see in that is that Agar will still be there.  Far from perfect situation imo

I don't think that's even confirmed or if he is nobody knows in what capacity. He was originally employed in a player development role looking after the academy, scholarship and women's side, he may go back to that, not sure if he did it would have much impact on the day to day head coaching role.

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

I don't think that's even confirmed or if he is nobody knows in what capacity. He was originally employed in a player development role looking after the academy, scholarship and women's side, he may go back to that, not sure if he did it would have much impact on the day to day head coaching role.

Didn’t GH mention that RA would be helping find the new coach?  If that’s the case, he must be in a position of influence Chris?  Maybe I misheard as Gary’s but at the end had already been said a few times before.

29 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Didn’t GH mention that RA would be helping find the new coach?  If that’s the case, he must be in a position of influence Chris?  Maybe I misheard as Gary’s but at the end had already been said a few times before.

If GH needs Richard Agar to help him find a new coach then he needs to do one as well. With the new stadium build and Covid Hetherington has taken his eye of the ball in terms of the team. He now needs to address that is a big way or there will be four figure crowds in his newly renovated stadium.

1 minute ago, Saint 1 said:

They finished 13 of 14 last year. Why? 

Yep, their coaching style got them some initial success but I think they've been found out somewhat. The Jets have been struggling for a while now and you rarely hear their names in NRL circles.

2 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

They finished 13 of 14 last year. Why? 

They might find more success in the less brutal Super League but they would be a risk - and that's not something Leeds are in a position to take right now. 

I'm sure some longstanding Leeds fans of a nostalgic bent would welcome the chance to boo Ben Walker again though.

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Just read he’s taking time out Chris.  So you were right.  

5 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

You misheard, he said he would have been instrumental had he stayed on

sorry just seen your update

4 hours ago, OMEGA said:

I think the Walker brothers at Ipswich Jets will emerge as the favourites for the Leeds job.

Not there any more.Both involved in business outside of the sport.

It may be prudent for Leeds to have a glance of Ben Darwin's Team Work Index and Gain Line Analytics.

It may give a reason why recent success has eluded them - bar lifting silverware at Wembley - and a timeframe for when things may get better.

Just spending money and changing coaches ain't the panacea for all the problems at a club.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived