Will Pryce

MZH

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nothing wrong with evolving the punishments for these types of fouls.

We have a video of an Australian tackle (80's or 90's I guess) where no penalty was given, a tackle from 4 years ago which resulted in a 4 game ban and now Pryce with 10 games.

This evolution is a good thing in my view as we simply cannot have these types of tackles in the game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Important bit on the press release was he’s got form, probably the reason it’s 10 and not 8 games

Pryce had previously been found guilty of a dangerous throw during an Academy game against Bradford Bulls in May 2021”

8 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Important bit on the press release was he’s got form, probably the reason it’s 10 and not 8 games

Pryce had previously been found guilty of a dangerous throw during an Academy game against Bradford Bulls in May 2021”

Interesting. I wasn't aware that academy games are taken into account like that and have never seen it mentioned in cases previously. 

1 hour ago, LeeF said:

He is now arguing with the Castleford & Dewsbury doctor who is also the Deputy Chief Medical Officer for the World Cup. I hope Matthew Shaw is well and not ill in some way

That exchange shows the issue in arguing with an expert when you are not an expert in that field, rather than listening and learning something.

Not saying that there always must be agreement, but I'd rather listen to Dr Raynor's opinion on mechanisms of injury than Shaw's.

2 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

That exchange shows the issue in arguing with an expert when you are not an expert in that field, rather than listening and learning something.

Not saying that there always must be agreement, but I'd rather listen to Dr Raynor's opinion on mechanisms of injury than Shaw's.

You know in modern day there's always gonna be two sides to every debate, especially in sports, someone will always sort of defend their own players, to some degree, but there's those odd occasions where EVERYONE agrees that something was 'the worst I've ever seen.

This is one of those,  he's the  0.0000001% arguing against nearly the entirely league watching population 

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Now that we know Conner Wynne is ok my thoughts go to Pryce. He’s a young player so hopefully being taken out of the game for a bit won’t be the worst thing in the world. He needs to learn lessons from this so hopefully he’s got good people around. 

Excellent comments.

Obviously with something like that, the first concern is the tackled player, great to see Wynne get straight up and acknowledge that Will didn't have any malice or intention to hurt him 

But now it's time for Will to reflect and learn from it, learn to channel his aggression and frustration, because if he doesn't he won't be part of an Ian Watson Huddersfield sqaud or many other squads.

I'm sure he's got the right people around him to do that.

10 game ban to protect players in the future  is good but a momentary loss of reason is understandable. Will should take it on the chin and learn. He hasn't lost owt , adds 10 weeks on his body at the end of his career and can help his attitude in future with support. Shame  for Fartown though.

I see Richie Mathers is being a 'game's gone' ###### about this on Twitter now.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

10 hours ago, Damien said:

Interesting. I wasn't aware that academy games are taken into account like that and have never seen it mentioned in cases previously. 

I’ve seen “previous good behaviour” quoted before. Obviously in this case they couldn’t say this

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

I see Richie Mathers is being a 'game's gone' ###### about this on Twitter now.

Right or wrong,there are an awful lot of players,fans who share his view of where the game is at the moment & are being turned off from the sport.

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Right or wrong,there are an awful lot of players,fans who share his view of where the game is at the moment & are being turned off from the sport.

There's a valid debate to be had about the crackdown and what it means for the game. I was as annoyed as anyone about the Fonua yellow.

This 'challenge' by Pryce is not the place for that debate.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

3 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

There's a valid debate to be had about the crackdown and what it means for the game. I was as annoyed as anyone about the Fonua yellow.

Exactly right.  Unfortunately these days people take a corner and that's their position irrelevant of the situation or the evidence.

I feel we can be a little less strict on the punishments for the incidental high contact or late contact but these types of fouls require the highest level of punishment/deterrent. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I think there is a meeting today with the clubs, Refs to clarify the whole situation.  Could be some more detail after that.

6 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

This is the point I was making last week. The uproar about the clampdown is imho largely manufactured outrage. Imo there have been a small handful of bad calls where the ref got it wrong, but let's be honest, the start of this was when the Leeds player was sent off in the opener. 

And the latest is this incident. Both serious foil play, both severely punished. I don't see an issue with these, but these have been used as examples of the game being dead/gone/soft. 

I have an awful lot of time for Leeds as a club, and their fans on here are generally a good sort, but there is a bit of a vocal group on social media, involving past players who don't cover themselves in glory. 

But a lot of this furore goes back to Hetheringtons claim that they spent much of the day fielding calls from fans, past players and sponsors about a 3 match ban. 

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Exactly right.  Unfortunately these days people take a corner and that's their position irrelevant of the situation or the evidence.

I feel we can be a little less strict on the punishments for the incidental high contact or late contact but these types of fouls require the highest level of punishment/deterrent. 

Funnily enough, I think that is broadly what we have done. Quite a few hig shots have received bans for 1,2,3 matches. 

The bigger bans have been for punching, striking with studs up and this spear tackle. 

13 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

10 matches seems fair enough. The minimum punishment for the offence was 8 matches but how bad does a tackle have to be if that one only warranted the minimum? He also has a charge for another dangerous throw offence on his record from May last year which means he was never likely to receive the minimum.

Matthew Shaw will be having an absolute meltdown though.

Hadn't realised he had a previous charge for the same offence so 10 games is probably about right

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived