1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Does it get better?

My point is that is the first thing that Gary Hetherington should have said even if he says it later.

I guess the actually press release says what you what him to say, very clearly.  Does he need to repeat it having sent the written release.

Its like a bias of some sorts, if you look for reason to criticise you will always find or I should say interpret to follow one's bias.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I guess the actually press release says what you what him to say, very clearly.  Does he need to repeat it having sent the written release.

Its like a bias of some sorts, if you look for reason to criticise you will always find or I should say interpret to follow one's bias.

In that case if the press release said everything why hold a conference.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

17 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Big club

good fan base

world class facilities 

why wouldn’t a coach want the job, theyll have plenty of applicants 

id reverse the question, why wouldn’t a coach want the job?

Hetherington.  Once a double glazing salesman, always a double glazing salesman.

More sensibly, they should be out headhunting the right person for the job, not sifting though a list of candidates suggested on an Internet forum. After all, given the attractions listed above, who could turn it down?

58 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Wendell Sailor has signed as new coach

Was that a recommendation from Dean Lance?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

16 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I might throw my hat into the ring.  I have absolutely no experience or talent in coaching but I can toss out a few cliché's in a post match interview.

Here is my interview pitch:

"Full credit to the lads, we have a good group here and they showed tremendous spirit and really played for each other.  The start was tough as they were really in the arm wrestle while our middles worked hard to get on top and showed some real desire.  I thought we took what we practiced during the week and did a really good job of executing.  We stayed consistent to our processes and that paid off in the end as we completed well against a quality side.  We are taking it one game at a time but we ticked all the boxes tonight and we backed ourselves to dig deep and came away with the win."

Absolutely chock full of words but zero substance.

Not enough 'look', listen' and 'yeah,no's' for me sorry.

Got to say, Agar comes across very clear and well in that interview despite having to repeat himself over and again to the journalists questions.  Honest admittal that his ways just haven’t got through.  Interesting that he said he recognised this at the beginning of the season.

I think GH should have cleared the decks though.  Richard will be physically and mentally down for some time.  I can see physical signs in him that are mental issues.  He knows he has problems.  I don’t believe staying on will do Leeds any good but I take my hat off to him for that interview.

8 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Got to say, Agar comes across very clear and well in that interview despite having to repeat himself over and again to the journalists questions.  Honest admittal that his ways just haven’t got through.  Interesting that he said he recognised this at the beginning of the season.

I think GH should have cleared the decks though.  Richard will be physically and mentally down for some time.  I can see physical signs in him that are mental issues.  He knows he has problems.  I don’t believe staying on will do Leeds any good but I take my hat off to him for that interview.

I played some junior cricket with Rich in the 1980s (he was a few years older than me). He always used to remark to me about how tough his paper round was. 

Danny Ward would be the most obvious choice, and possibly the best choice at the moment. Though sure a few Aussie coaches names will get thrown around.

Always surprised me slightly that Neil Henry has never pursued another head coaches role. Always thought he did a decent enough job at North Queensland, albeit some years ago now.

Looking through a list of NRL assistants, and there actually quite a few ex-SL head coaches.

Building with Danny Ward and this new crop of young Leeds players could be the best thing for the club. Assuming they go for Ward of course.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

54 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Danny Ward would be the most obvious choice, and possibly the best choice at the moment. Though sure a few Aussie coaches names will get thrown around.

Always surprised me slightly that Neil Henry has never pursued another head coaches role. Always thought he did a decent enough job at North Queensland, albeit some years ago now.

Looking through a list of NRL assistants, and there actually quite a few ex-SL head coaches.

Building with Danny Ward and this new crop of young Leeds players could be the best thing for the club. Assuming they go for Ward of course.

What makes Danny Ward such a favourite.  

As far as I know he has only ever coached at London Bronco's so I guess he knows about a SL relegation battle but is he currently a proven top coach.  Yes he has experience in the championship and promotion battle. As far as I can see it would be a risk given his CV but then I've no idea about being a top coach and maybe people can see what makes a top coach in him.  Can't see how his record does as distinct from the potential.

19 minutes ago, redjonn said:

What makes Danny Ward such a favourite.  

As far as I know he has only ever coached at London Bronco's so I guess he knows about a SL relegation battle but is he currently a proven top coach.  Yes he has experience in the championship and promotion battle. As far as I can see it would be a risk given his CV but then I've no idea about being a top coach and maybe people can see what makes a top coach in him.  Can't see how his record does as distinct from the potential.

The obvious ones for me are his connection to Leeds, most clubs love an old boy. And what he did at the Bronco's with very limited resources suggests he might have the makings of a decent coach. With greater resources at Leeds and a pool of talented young players it could be a god fit with a bright long future. Obviously, there are no guarantees in these situations but I think he's as good a choice as any other realistic coaching options.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

6 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

No disrespect to Danny Ward but strikes me Leeds would be mad to appoint him.

Surely they will look for a highly thought of NRL coach looking to progress through to an NRL gig - Maguire / Holbrook / Woolf style.

To be fair to Ward, Tony Smiths record at Hudds before he became Leeds Coach wasn’t so good at all.

Like you I have my doubts though.  He’ll probably be earning plenty with the union side anyway.

I'm sure I read the Danny Ward was very settled with his family in Surrey and wasn't interested in moving back up North - hence him working in London RU.

If his wife has a good job in the area, kids settled in school and they live in nice house in Surrey, why the hell would he give all that up to come and live in Leeds and probably get sacked after a year because the doomsayers in the South Stand expected to be at Old Trafford?

Quite apart from whether he is suitable - and I'm not sure he is - there is a huge question around whether he would even be interested.

I'm sure he'll say something one way or the other soon - then people can move on if he's happy where he is

51 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Hetherington is no Lindsay.

TBA is no Graham Lowe.

Lindsay and Hetherington are the only CEOs I can think of that multiple top coaches have trusted to spot and sign good players. No idea where Lindsay picked that up from. Hetherington obviously is a former top flight head coach himself.

13 hours ago, JohnM said:

Hetherington.  Once a double glazing salesman, always a double glazing salesman.

More sensibly, they should be out headhunting the right person for the job, not sifting though a list of candidates suggested on an Internet forum. After all, given the attractions listed above, who could turn it down?

I dont think you or anyone else knows what he and the club is out doing .they dont call him the Sleave for nothing . Also did you know he founded Sheffield Eagles out of his own pocket and that club is still going now 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I dont think you or anyone else knows what he and the club is out doing .they dont call him the Sleave for nothing . Also did you know he founded Sheffield Eagles out of his own pocket and that club is still going now 

Yes of course I knew. Its common for club owners to do that. In his case, using his Everest double glazing commission.Its a tough business to be in, as I'm sure you know.

12 hours ago, JohnM said:

Yes of course I knew. Its common for club owners to do that. In his case, using his Everest double glazing commission.Its a tough business to be in, as I'm sure you know.

Is it embarrassment at the chaotic way Lenagan has run Wigan that causes you to lash out at more successful club bosses in this way?

23 minutes ago, M j M said:

Is it embarrassment at the chaotic way Lenagan has run Wigan that causes you to lash out at more successful club bosses in this way?

Have you ever been involved in the double glazing business? 

15 hours ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Also did you know he founded Sheffield Eagles out of his own pocket and that club is still going now 

A Sheffield club is still going now. Not the same one Hetherington founded, that's in Huddersfield.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Archived