3 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

A Sheffield club is still going now. Not the same one Hetherington founded, that's in Huddersfield.

If nothing else the story of Sheffield Eagles shows how quickly things can financially fall apart at outpost clubs once the tight reign of a skilled administrator is released.

Of course the same can happen at heartland clubs too. Wigan haven't bothered being financially viable in coming up to three decades now, so it shows if you're willing to pour money down the drain anything is possible.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, M j M said:

If nothing else the story of Sheffield Eagles shows how quickly things can financially fall apart at outpost clubs once the tight reign of a skilled administrator is released.

Of course the same can happen at heartland clubs too. Wigan haven't bothered being financially viable in coming up to three decades now, so it shows if you're williams to pour money down the drain anything is possible.

But the most important administrator in the country right now Ralph Rimmer was in charge of Sheffield pre and post merger with Huddersfield. They were blessed weren't they?

54 minutes ago, Scubby said:

But the most important administrator in the country right now Ralph Rimmer was in charge of Sheffield pre and post merger with Huddersfield. They were blessed weren't they?

I think the record of those clubs under him tells its own story. How he lucked into the conveyor belt that led to him getting the top job is a mystery.

Jeez @JohnM appears to be confusing the long-term successful running of a Rugby League business with the inevitable ups and downs of the Rugby League team those businesses operate. 

Imagine if both happened at the same time - like huge financial losses year after year AND having say Adrian Lam coach your side to abject performance after abject performance. Then there really would need to be some soul searching.

Dull Daily Wail fuelling rumours about Tony Smith/Danny Maguire and the Leeds job :

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/tony-smith-leeds-rhinos-rumours-6851502

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

On 22/03/2022 at 12:02, EastLondonMike said:

The obvious ones for me are his connection to Leeds, most clubs love an old boy. And what he did at the Bronco's with very limited resources suggests he might have the makings of a decent coach. With greater resources at Leeds and a pool of talented young players it could be a god fit with a bright long future. Obviously, there are no guarantees in these situations but I think he's as good a choice as any other realistic coaching options.

thanks for taking time to respond to my question...

9 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

People like Agar always seemed to find a job within the game without ever having much sucees

Slide into a backroom staff job... wait for coach to get sacked..... offer to help out with the first team..... get first team job..... oversee first team decline........ leave club.......

slide into a backroom staff job... wait for coach to get sacked.... offer to help out with first team....

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

People like Agar always seemed to find a job within the game without ever having much sucees

Honestly, I always assumed he was a complete duffer as well. You would imagine it: a sort of old fashioned Yorkshireman, coaching old fashioned rugby league, in an old fashioned style.

I then had an opportunity to watch him work. I couldn't have been more wrong. He is actually a very impressive coach: hugely detail focussed and very up to date in his methods. The guy is a good coach, and will find another job I am sure. 

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

With Michael Maguire on the verge of being dismissed by West Tigers i wonder if Leeds could be interested?

Not sure you'd ever want a coach to jump from being sacked at one job to another one straight away without some downtime to reflect and de-stress, and I guess Maguire is smart enough to know that even if he was interested.

As for whether he'd be a good coach in SL now. Well the plague of his tactics still to some degree infects the British game so perhaps he would be a good candidate. The sport is trying to emerge from the dismal legacy of that era though so on the other hand perhaps not. 

Here we go, I was waiting for this to drop.

It's one of the crisis moment Gary Hetherington open letters all Leeds fans are so familiar with.

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2022/03/28/message-from-gary-hetherington/

On behalf of the Leeds Rhinos Management and Board, I felt it was important that I communicated with our supporters following the bitter disappointment of our exit from the Challenge Cup on Saturday, compounded by our poor start to the season. 

Firstly, I would like to say that these performances are clearly unacceptable and fall far below the standards this proud club has set. I think perhaps our recent run feels so raw because of the hope and optimism we all had at the start of the season that we were ready to mount a challenge at the top of the table again. 

When we think back to that pre-season feeling, we felt we had established a squad with the right blend of youth and experience with as much strength in depth as possible within the constraints of the salary cap. We have lost players to injury, as every team in Super League does, but also caused problems for ourselves with our own indiscipline. 

As our long time supporters will know, we have faced adversity like this at times before and the lessons from those experiences are invaluable as we look to plot a course to better times ahead. 

The squad are clearly low on confidence at present, the first half against Castleford showed that, as we allowed our heads to drop after conceding the early tries. The job of Jamie Jones-Buchanan and the rest of our performance department is to turn that around in the short term. I still believe that this group of players are as capable and talented as we all thought at the start of the year but the key now is to start showing that with our performances.  

Long term, we find ourselves in need of a new Head Coach. At Leeds, that appointment carries many unique opportunities and the ideal candidate will offer both coaching expertise but, perhaps as importantly, be a leader with a vision for how this team will evolve and become the Champion side we know it can be. I believe this appointment is as important as my decision to bring Tony Smith in back in 2003. In contrast, back then we were challenging for honours on all fronts but needed to go to the next level with a new appointment. 

To that end, we have begun an exhaustive search both at home and abroad and this weekend I will travel to Australia to meet a number of potential candidates to speak to them in person and further advance our search for a new Head Coach. We have worked hard in recent years to develop and secure a group of talented, young players and this appointment will be crucial in allowing them to fulfil their potential. 

I fully understand the frustration and disappointment that all our supporters are feeling at present. Having dedicated the last 25 years to re-establishing the club as a force in the game, I share those frustrations but I would ask you all to give Jamie and the team your support as they aim to get themselves back on their feet and we can start to move forward in the coming weeks. 

Thanks for all your support.

Gary Hetherington

Chief Executive

1 hour ago, M j M said:

Here we go, I was waiting for this to drop.

It's one of the crisis moment Gary Hetherington open letters all Leeds fans are so familiar with.

https://www.therhinos.co.uk/2022/03/28/message-from-gary-hetherington/

hes not going all the way to oz unless he expects to land a deal with someone already interested in the job 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived