Match thread: Challenge Cup Rd6. Catalan Dragons v Featherstone Rovers. Saturday 26th March 2022.

marklaspalmas

1 hour ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Personally it worries me, how Leigh are seemingly improving whilst we have kind of stagnated. I've also no doubt that they will sign more players as well.

Probably been a bit ahead of us the last 2 or 3 weeks, but they have been pretty lucky with injuries in the forwards so far given their lack of depth there, only Chris Green missed much time, but they have just announced Mark Ioane will miss 4 to 8 weeks.

They have a bigger budget than us (Beaumont claimed to have spent £1.2m when they only had 20 players) and have made a lot of what must have been quite expensive signings, and yes they will no doubt have more to come. If we make the play-offs it will all depend on which team is on form and firing, and if it ends up being Leigh v Fev (which of course is a long, long way from guaranteed) a one-off game on a cold wet October night could go either way, especially if they have been playing St Helens fringe players all year and they lose one or two of them.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed if we played Leigh tomorrow given current form and the players we have available we’d lose. But it’s a marathon not a sprint as they say.

last year we had Harrison, Springer and Ferguson, granted not all fit at the same time. We haven’t replaced that grunt and the better teams will target us up the middle and get some joy as a result as Batley did. 

15 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Probably been a bit ahead of us the last 2 or 3 weeks, but they have been pretty lucky with injuries in the forwards so far given their lack of depth there, only Chris Green missed much time, but they have just announced Mark Ioane will miss 4 to 8 weeks.

They have a bigger budget than us (Beaumont claimed to have spent £1.2m when they only had 20 players) and have made a lot of what must have been quite expensive signings, and yes they will no doubt have more to come. If we make the play-offs it will all depend on which team is on form and firing, and if it ends up being Leigh v Fev (which of course is a long, long way from guaranteed) a one-off game on a cold wet October night could go either way, especially if they have been playing St Helens fringe players all year and they lose one or two of them.

To illustrate my point - Leigh have only been able to name a 20-man squad for their CC game at Hull KR, and of the 20 named, only nine are primarily regarded as forwards - and three of those are hookers. In that squad they have Hitchcox, Brand, Inu, Nisbet and Dixon, who have all played wing for them this year, yet they are reportedly interested in another wing, Blake Ferguson.

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

yet they are reportedly interested in another wing, Blake Ferguson.

Would be quite the advert for Leigh, their haemorrhoid of an owner, and the RFL in general. While I recalled Ferguson had 'previous', a quick scan over his wiki page provides a handy reminder of his greatest hits. Perhaps AB Sundecks will end up sponsoring his inevitable bail arrangements.

20 hours ago, Phil Briscoe said:

Agreed if we played Leigh tomorrow given current form and the players we have available we’d lose. But it’s a marathon not a sprint as they say.

last year we had Harrison, Springer and Ferguson, granted not all fit at the same time. We haven’t replaced that grunt and the better teams will target us up the middle and get some joy as a result as Batley did. 

These are the appearance stats for props and second-rowers last year. Springer and Ferguson did not feature much.

We've added Cuthberston and JSL.

24 Lockwood
23 Halton
23 Davies
22 Kopczak
22 Field 
18 Cooper
18 Moors
17 Ferres
12 Day
12 Bussey
12 Harrison
9 McConnell
7 Springer
4 Ferguson
2 Beckett
2 Lussick
2 Summers

On 24/03/2022 at 22:37, Phil Briscoe said:

Agree about current form but not about the reason for it.  We have the quality of players in every position.  Recent performances have been more about how much our opponents wanted it - imo.

Plus we can't keep banging on about who is injured. We've only got 2 or 3 out who would definately be in our 'best 17' and most teams will be in a similar position.

On 24/03/2022 at 15:51, The Phantom Horseman said:

If we make the play-offs it will all depend on which team is on form and firing, and if it ends up being Leigh v Fev (which of course is a long, long way from guaranteed) a one-off game on a cold wet October night could go either way, especially if they have been playing St Helens fringe players all year and they lose one or two of them.

Subtle but revenge is sweet.  I was thinkng of renaming them St. Leigh.

21 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Agree about current form but not about the reason for it.  We have the quality of players in every position.  Recent performances have been more about how much our opponents wanted it - imo.

Plus we can't keep banging on about who is injured. We've only got 2 or 3 out who would definately be in our 'best 17' and most teams will be in a similar position.

Fair point mate but for me I’d have Koppy, JSL, Davies, Wildie and Joey in the 17 so that’s a fair few missing. 
That would beef up the pack significantly. 
I also think Craig Hall is brilliant but his worst position is centre, he’s better on the wing or FB so we need a fit Joey. 

Not seen the game but the lads did supporters proud by having a real go against one of the top SL sides.No problem with the team selection as i would have picked Smith and Wildie.Surprised that Hardcastle was in the pack after his comeback display in the centre last week but it is a position he can play in.Would just have liked Chizzy on the bench instead of Field when 20-14 down we could have brought him on to try and get something out of nowt.Hope we don't live to regret dropping a point last week by taking our eye off the ball but if the players put on displays like today we will be OK.I said i thought we could hold them to 14 points and we did that so well done to all the team.

Sounds like a great effort by the boys . especially as Tomkins dropped a goal to put the game to bed. Well done, back to PO Road next week for the bread & butter games as we realistically where not going to win the Cup.

17 minutes ago, haskey said:

Sounds like a great effort by the boys . especially as Tomkins dropped a goal to put the game to bed. Well done, back to PO Road next week for the bread & butter games as we realistically where not going to win the Cup.

No we aren't but hopefully the 1895 Cup.

Watched the game at Millpond and we were good value for our lead at halftime.  Dragons seemed to get the rub-of-the-green decision wise from the referee.  But never the less an outstanding performance by the team. I'm very proud of what they did..

1 hour ago, Normy_Rover said:

Watched the game at Millpond and we were good value for our lead at halftime.  Dragons seemed to get the rub-of-the-green decision wise from the referee.  But never the less an outstanding performance by the team. I'm very proud of what they did..

We could match them mid field but lacked Grunt coming away from our line.  Definitely got the decision over us and Joey showed great pace and strength for his second half try.  Very pleased to come ad close as we did drawing 10 to go against the biggest spending team in the league is great value.  Thanks to Lions for a great afternoon and atmosphere. 

Archived