Good news Wakey Stadium

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Is the ground only going to have 1 stand 

Only one new stand. The terracing in the North will be reconfigured and upgraded. The Rollin Shack has a new roof and will be reconfigured for community use and the new floodlights are in place then the 4G pitch and car park will complete phase one. 

The dilapidated west terrace is for the yet to be financed phase 2. The benidorm flats are to remain for now. The big gain is the facilities under the new North stand. 

Have a look at the planning portal for the detail.

15 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It said yesterday the investment would be around £10-11m including other parts of the ground. I assume you asked because you were interested, otherwise it comes across a little as poor form.

I've enjoyed having fun at Wakefield's expense but this has actually been a pleasant surprise - particularly the timeframe. Really pleased for the club and supporters.

A small concern from looking at the elevations are that the ends of the stands appear to be perpendicular to the touchline and yet not extend as far as the try line, let alone the dead ball line. Unless I've misunderstood, this will mean some poor sight lines from the rear seats at either end of the stand.

Sorry if that's a bit picky. I am as delighted as any Trinity fan by this news and want it to be the best it can be.

37 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Don´t think we should underestimate the fact that clubs in the level below (York, Newcastle, Fev) pushing standards. We´ve got Wakey on line. Salford if they can get a 3g pitch down on their new home it will put them at the heart of their community and grow a new generation of fans. 

It´s actually an incredibly positive time to be a fan of our sport after years of massive failures. 

We shouldn't judge everyone by the Bulls failures regarding facilities.

In SL we have Wigan, Hudds, Hull, Saints, Wire, Salford all playing in brand new facilities built in the last two or three decades. We have also seen major improvements at grounds like Catalans, Leeds and Hull KR. The improvement in facilities since SL's inception has been one of the resounding successes of the sport.

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

It said yesterday the investment would be around £10-11m including other parts of the ground. I assume you asked because you were interested, otherwise it comes across a little as poor form.

I've enjoyed having fun at Wakefield's expense but this has actually been a pleasant surprise - particularly the timeframe. Really pleased for the club and supporters.

Well said, Scubby.  I wholly agree with you.

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Salford´s is oversized in a car park and glad they are leaving. Wigan and Hull are perpetually having issues with their owners. Giants is not tv friendly. 

I would agree that the infrastructure is good but I´d also say it has been the RFL´s biggest failure when we had the cash not to put some infrastructure money for a NWC or Welsh team to get us the international rev we need.

Still, so much good artound the sport and feels like we are on the cusp of a new era. 

Ultimately they are great facilities and far better than the ones we have replaced.

Around the start of SL the grounds being used were Central Park, Boulevard, Knowsley Road, Wilderspool, Watersheddings, Thrum Hall and Derwent Park. Nowadays the vast majority of SL games are played in first rate grounds.

That really can't be ignored or downplayed. 

8 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Headingley Stadium is complete and a fantastic Rugby League stadium. Belle Vue is like visiting a Soviet Union ground in the 1930’s 

You visited many Soviet Union grounds in the 1930s?

2 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Nope but now Oldham are homeless, Swinton too. Halifax have a stadium that can only be used on matchdays and generates no rev. There´s been far too many losers in clubs that have gone backwards also. 

That's just life though, there will be winners and losers. 

It's undeniable that the facilities in top level RL have improved out of sight. I'm not sure why you are so keen to spin it into a negative. 

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

No.

The accuracy of the drawing only reflects the stand in question for development.

Similarly, they are not real people in the car park.

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

...now only Cas need to spruce it up in SL. 

Hold your horses!

We've never been this far down the road before, but we are Wakey and anything can happen!

We know better than all others - we'll believe it when we see it!

what about the 2 mile radius around the wakey ground? utter dump - i doubt the "modern residents" of agbrigg have even heard of rugby league and have no interest whatsoever - the days of grounds been situated in community strongholds connected to industry and local pride are well gone 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Yes. However I understand they will also be installing some new railway sleepers on the terracing, and (finally) sticking a roof on the bogs.

The club will at long last have a ground fit for the 20th century. 

17 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

what about the 2 mile radius around the wakey ground? utter dump - i doubt the "modern residents" of agbrigg have even heard of rugby league and have no interest whatsoever - the days of grounds been situated in community strongholds connected to industry and local pride are well gone 

Is this that thing about putting a 100 chimps, in front of a 100 typewriters???

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Ultimately they are great facilities and far better than the ones we have replaced.

Around the start of SL the grounds being used were Central Park, Boulevard, Knowsley Road, Wilderspool, Watersheddings, Thrum Hall and Derwent Park. Nowadays the vast majority of SL games are played in first rate grounds.

That really can't be ignored or downplayed. 

That's true Dave, but you are talking about 30 years ago. The world moves on, even if it is a lot more slowly in the post-industrial North than in the rest of the UK. If we were still wading ankle deep through urine on 2022, then nobody would still be watching Rugby League. People's expectations have changed somewhat in the last quarter of a century. 

Just now, TheFlash said:

That's true Dave, but you are talking about 30 years ago. The world moves on, even if it is a lot more slowly in the post-industrial North than in the rest of the UK. If we were still wading ankle deep through urine on 2022, then nobody would still be watching Rugby League. People's expectations have changed somewhat in the last quarter of a century. 

Yes, I'm not sure of your point. I'm pointing out that for all the moaning about facilities, the vast majority of Suoer League games are played in quality facilities. 

In fact my opening post on this was due to a complaint about us finally having some good news after all the failures, when in reality the last 30 years has seen us move with the times and deliver huge improvements. 

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes, I'm not sure of your point. I'm pointing out that for all the moaning about facilities, the vast majority of Suoer League games are played in quality facilities. 

In fact my opening post on this was due to a complaint about us finally having some good news after all the failures, when in reality the last 30 years has seen us move with the times and deliver huge improvements. 

Yeah - fair enough. I guess my point was that the fact we no longer play Super League games at the Boulevard or Watersheddings is not really something to be proud of, because if we did, the game would be dead as a professional venture. 

1 minute ago, TheFlash said:

Yeah - fair enough. I guess my point was that the fact we no longer play Super League games at the Boulevard or Watersheddings is not really something to be proud of, because if we did, the game would be dead as a professional venture. 

I suppose the challenge is that some clubs are still playing in those grounds - Cas and Wakey, plus some in lower divisions. These show that getting investments of millions of quid for new grounds, or partnerships with other clubs or councils hasn't been easy. 

People like to make out that little has changed since SL came along - we just spent money on the same players, yet they ignore the fact that we get many larger crowds in quality grounds. 

You are absolutely right, we definitely needed to modernise and improve facilities - and we've done that, it is night and day to when I first started watching. That is excellent progress. 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

I'm assuming that if I were a dog I would be going mad at this post.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Don't take this the wrong way , but , it's quite appropriate that the drawings show no fans in the ' new ' stand , because that's fairly close to how it will be , there'll be 500 sat down in it and 4,000 still stood on the old terracing , just the way it is , RL fans mostly prefer to stand , they'd be better building the new one as a terrace , and a smaller one on the opposite side with a thousand seats in it , all IMHO 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Don't take this the wrong way , but , it's quite appropriate that the drawings show no fans in the ' new ' stand , because that's fairly close to how it will be , there'll be 500 sat down in it and 4,000 still stood on the old terracing , just the way it is , RL fans mostly prefer to stand , they'd be better building the new one as a terrace , and a smaller one on the opposite side with a thousand seats in it , all IMHO 

Wow. It's really getting to you isn't it? You can't keep pace with Fev on the field, so you need to chip away at Wakey off the field.

Gubby, accept it - you aren't getting back in SL.

On the image, there are no players on the pitch either. There are only a dozen cars in the car park too.

It's an architects drawing!

Archived