How will the new rules affect the World Cup?

I’ve had a feeling this might happen but Matt Peet puts it across better than I could.

Made me think of this when Herbie Farnworth ripped the ball out after other players dropped off the tackle at the weekend.

Also confirms that these rule changes weren’t fully discussed with Wigan.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/matt-peet-fears-disciplinary-clampdown-could-impact-world-cup/

The 2022 International Laws of the Game state:

The ball can be stolen from the player in possession at any stage prior to a tackle being completed when there is only one defender effecting the tackle.
If there are two or more defenders effecting the tackle and the ball is stolen, a penalty pshould be awarded except if the player in possession is attempting to ground the ball.

Which doesn’t cover at what point a player is/isn’t counted as "effecting the tackle", so all down to a referees interpretation. I would guess that the some panel or other will draft an ‘interpretations’ document at some time prior to the start of the WC - but who knows as this is, after all, rugby league we’re talking about 🤨

48 minutes ago, TBone said:

The 2022 International Laws of the Game state:

Which doesn’t cover at what point a player is/isn’t counted as "effecting the tackle", so all down to a referees interpretation. I would guess that the some panel or other will draft an ‘interpretations’ document at some time prior to the start of the WC - but who knows as this is, after all, rugby league we’re talking about 🤨

From memory Australia attempted the "drop-off" strip at the end of our loss to Tonga and were ultimately penalised for it so I believe the International laws reflect the old NRL/Current SL interpretation.

There was an article last year that said which rules would be used, but I suspect this may change again 12m on. 

I'll be honest, the amount of faffing means I'm not really sure of RL's rules any more. Some kicks to touch are not scrums, some fouls are not penalties, there's something called a 20:40 which I've never seen, some sets get 7 tackles, some 6....

The one thing I always found with RL's rules is that there was an element of logic to them. A kick to touch was a scrum. Now it depends whether it was in the 40 or 20, where it lands, what tackle it is etc. 

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There was an article last year that said which rules would be used, but I suspect this may change again 12m on. 

I'll be honest, the amount of faffing means I'm not really sure of RL's rules any more. Some kicks to touch are not scrums, some fouls are not penalties, there's something called a 20:40 which I've never seen, some sets get 7 tackles, some 6....

The one thing I always found with RL's rules is that there was an element of logic to them. A kick to touch was a scrum. Now it depends whether it was in the 40 or 20, where it lands, what tackle it is etc. 

Its confusing to the fans and you can see the players confused sometimes.

I think habits will be formed in both hemispheres which will affect decisions on the pitch during the WC.  The NRL seems to be getting a better balance to the head tackle rules but our TV covered games seem to always have debatable incidents.  Fonua as an example.

Chase down of kickers - I would always coach continuing right up to and (fairly) into the kicker.  These days that is a risk.  NRL games I’ve seen aren’t fussing round these so much.

I know your views on the PTB but I think that will be a habit related problem for us.  Not dramatic but it will be just our luck to fall foul of it in a key game.

22 hours ago, DavidM said:

“I just wonder what rules we are going to play in the World Cup. We’ve got two hemispheres playing different rules.

well indeed .

What I would say on this is that whilst not ideal, it has been the case for a long time, and there is always agreement in advance of the rules and interpretations that will be used. Sometimes it has benefited us and sometimes not so much. 

I think the stealing rule is a real potential hot-spot, and obviously the more variances there are the higher the risk of there being an issue. But I generally think it'll be what it'll be and the players will get guidance in advance. 

22 hours ago, DavidM said:

“I just wonder what rules we are going to play in the World Cup. We’ve got two hemispheres playing different rules.

well indeed .

And referees from both hemispheres who will probably have different interpretations of those rules.

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Shouldn’t it be the International Rules anyway?  

Yes, that's the way it's always been, and they have been updated to include many of the recent changes. 

I suppose interpretations become more important, but then when you have refs from the other side of the world you will get that anyway. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yes, that's the way it's always been, and they have been updated to include many of the recent changes. 

I suppose interpretations become more important, but then when you have refs from the other side of the world you will get that anyway. 

Could be wrong but Stuart Cummings was supposed to be reviewing all of this before the WC last year.  

The issues for me will be the habits formed between both hemispheres players and also, we have to remember, minor nations.  Anything here, around the head on televised matches, seems a penalty and a card, ranging from Fonua to Pryce.  We seem to be penalising, what appears to be, less serious tackles than the NRL but they appear to issue bans for longer.  These 1 - 2 match bans could really affect teams.  Do we relax this initiative just for the WC?  That would be going against the grain of RFL disciplinary and Moorhouse rules.

Just now, Lowdesert said:

Could be wrong but Stuart Cummings was supposed to be reviewing all of this before the WC last year.  

The issues for me will be the habits formed between both hemispheres players and also, we have to remember, minor nations.  Anything here, around the head on televised matches, seems a penalty and a card, ranging from Fonua to Pryce.  We seem to be penalising, what appears to be, less serious tackles than the NRL but they appear to issue bans for longer.  These 1 - 2 match bans could really affect teams.  Do we relax this initiative just for the WC?  That would be going against the grain of RFL disciplinary and Moorhouse rules.

I think the use of cards is something that has always been a challenge between the club and Test level games. The Aussies rarely send somebody off (red). 

I have the view that an Aussie wouldn't have sent off Morley all those years ago. He'd have gone on report. I think the stricter rules may assist us, if a British ref is stricter in a big game then it is less likely to catch us out. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think the use of cards is something that has always been a challenge between the club and Test level games. The Aussies rarely send somebody off (red). 

I have the view that an Aussie wouldn't have sent off Morley all those years ago. He'd have gone on report. I think the stricter rules may assist us, if a British ref is stricter in a big game then it is less likely to catch us out. 

Stricter will most likely bring bans which we do not want to see in a WC.   

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Stricter will most likely bring bans which we do not want to see in a WC.   

Maybe, I was thinking more on-field, making the point that if refs are more lenient then we benefit from that, or if they take the stricter line we don't get disadvantaged as we are used to it. So I think we'll be OK. 

The sport does tend to be more lenient on band overall during international series, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that approach continue. Obviously we can't just ignore foul play, but maybe there is an acceptance that punishments mean more at World Cups and maybe we are dealing in 1 match terms. 

But one thing I would say is that bans are a prominent part of sporting tournaments, Fifa World Cups have always had a bit of a challenge around the multiple yellow card thing, who can forget Gazza's tears?

On 22/03/2022 at 10:49, DavidM said:

well indeed .

The overwhelming majority of players in the World Cup will be NRL players. Certainly from all the serious contenders... NZ, Australia, Tonga. Additionally, the teams like Samoa, Fiji, England and PNG while not serious contenders, could still have a say in the outcome. These sides will also have a big core of NRL players.

With all due respect to your Wales and Irelands and Frances... They are basically there to make up the numbers, and so it is less important that the flagship tournament uses "their" rules. NRL rules are a 'must' unfortunately, as it is NRL players who will be contesting the big money games at the end of the tournament.

Hopefully after this tournament, the RFL will realise that the game is driven by the Big League down under, and adopt NRL rules where possible, or at least force some dialogue in order to get some standardisation. At the moment, there are only two professional leagues in the world, and the fact they play with different rules is a joke. 

6 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Shouldn’t it be the International Rules anyway?  

Absolutely.

I can remember when the four Test playing nations all had different laws (perm any two from 1 or 2 points for a drop goal and 4 or 6 tackles). IIRC, it was New Zealand who were actually playing to the proper laws of the game.  Might have been France.  Definitely wasn't us or Australia.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 22/03/2022 at 09:49, DavidM said:

well indeed .

Presumably the third set of rules, specifically for internationals, the "2022 International Laws of the Game". But who knows :shrugs:

Archived