Sat 26-Sun27 Mar: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Men vs boys at Swinton against West Wales. Tough to watch. West Wales look cobbled together, completely unfit and devoid of much know-how.

I am actually quite gobsmacked at some of the shapes on the Raiders boys.

42-0 at half time. Swinton barely out of second gear.

21 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Men vs boys at Swinton against West Wales. Tough to watch. West Wales look cobbled together, completely unfit and devoid of much know-how.

I am actually quite gobsmacked at some of the shapes on the Raiders boys.

42-0 at half time. Swinton barely out of second gear.

I suppose it's only game 1 so we shouldn't rush to judgement, but... it's starting to look like the situation is doing more harm than good for those Welsh youngsters in the squad. 

39 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I suppose it's only game 1 so we shouldn't rush to judgement, but... it's starting to look like the situation is doing more harm than good for those Welsh youngsters in the squad. 

82-4 in the end. Not great.

39 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

It’s embarrassing, it comes from owners who seem to be very clueless about running a club. Feel sorry for their head coach as the club didn’t decide till it was too late to plan for a season, crazy. I know more experienced coaches were interested, players too but the club just buried their heads. Crackers. 

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

Interesting you say that. Of the 17 today only 7 were born in South Wales. The rest are students from the west of England or from elsewhere. 

bl00dy hell...heart failure!! 16-0 up and then winning by 2 in a high-scoring game...wish I'd been able to go to see it. Hopefully that's our Scare For The Season match, and most of the rest will be more plain sailing!!

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

44 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Interesting you say that. Of the 17 today only 7 were born in South Wales. The rest are students from the west of England or from elsewhere. 

Interesting. Although even the westcountry students are a good thing if it's widening the game's talent pathways. I look at the Skolars and Cov/Midland and see all the great work they're doing bringing through new players from their own patch, and it doesn't actually matter if they lose more than they win.

It should be the same for WWR, but getting shellacked by 50+ points every week, year after year, isnt going to keep those players in the game, especially trekking over to Llanelli. 

I know the owner has put resources in, so I feel loathe to criticise, but it's getting harmful now. 

3 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

...I look at the Skolars and Cov/Midland and see all the great work they're doing bringing through new players from their own patch, and it doesn't actually matter if they lose more than they win...

👏👏👏 My sentiments exactly. With the mind numbing cuts to central funding i would be happy with Skolars just being able to survive & put out a team of London based/London produced players each week.

On 26/03/2022 at 19:21, ATLANTISMAN said:

Not too bad i nearly went today however the weather is so lovely decided to go to the pub and then back home to watch the CC:) 

Wish I had gone to Skolars now:)

Paul

So... because the weather was lovely, you opted to stay indoors rather than outdoors? I must admit, I am struggling to understand your logic there 😂

1 hour ago, FearNothing said:

bl00dy hell...heart failure!! 16-0 up and then winning by 2 in a high-scoring game...wish I'd been able to go to see it. Hopefully that's our Scare For The Season match, and most of the rest will be more plain sailing!!

We were playing some really attractive rugby for the firt 20 minutes and I though this is going to be an easy win....but then Rochdale had some luck and some interesting decisions go their way and they were back in the game....and every time Crusaders looked to pull away again back came Rochdale with their big forwards crashing over to score.

The ref was very consistent with his off side and high tackle decisions but there were some curiosities which I'd love to see again.

Well done to Hornets for putting up resistance but I think you ought to buy your timekeeper a new watch!

1 hour ago, langpark said:

So... because the weather was lovely, you opted to stay indoors rather than outdoors? I must admit, I am struggling to understand your logic there 😂

Around 2 hours+ drive from where I live in deepest Kent to North London on a Saturday even the Broncos in Ealing used to be around 1 hour 45 mins.

P

1 hour ago, langpark said:

Particularly given there is decent beer at Skolars

34 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Around 2 hours+ drive from where I live in deepest Kent to North London on a Saturday even the Broncos in Ealing used to be around 1 hour 45 mins.

P

You wouldn't have wanted to drive in that part of London yesterday. A friend of mine left Hemel at 1 and arrived a couple of minutes after the second half kicked off.

3 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

I look at the Skolars and Cov/Midland and see all the great work they're doing bringing through new players from their own patch, and it doesn't actually matter if they lose more than they win.

Today's Midlands squad only had 1 Midlander in it. There was 1 Irishman and the rest were all northerners. Didn't see yesterday's Skolars squad.

3 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

It should be the same for WWR, but getting shellacked by 50+ points every week, year after year, isnt going to keep those players in the game, especially trekking over to Llanelli. 

If Midlands Hurricanes had got 7 Midlanders in their squad, is there a risk they would they be losing by 50+ every week? This is the challenge for these expansion teams - do they play local players and risk heavier defeats, or do they put performance first to the detriment of the development of local players?

16 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Today's Midlands squad only had 1 Midlander in it. There was 1 Irishman and the rest were all northerners. Didn't see yesterday's Skolars squad.

If Midlands Hurricanes had got 7 Midlanders in their squad, is there a risk they would they be losing by 50+ every week? This is the challenge for these expansion teams - do they play local players and risk heavier defeats, or do they put performance first to the detriment of the development of local players?

The larger Midlands squad has some more locally based players and some in todays squad are based in the midlands (albeit originally northerners).

That's the conundrum though. The coventry bears went down the midlands based player route before and while they were certainly much more competitive than the Raiders still struggled. Ultimately developing local based players who are good enough takes a long time. 

Now its about getting the best players with the right attitude. Not the best result today but signs of being competitive and will be tough to beat at home. 

On 27/03/2022 at 18:14, Toby Chopra said:

Interesting. Although even the westcountry students are a good thing if it's widening the game's talent pathways. I look at the Skolars and Cov/Midland and see all the great work they're doing bringing through new players from their own patch, and it doesn't actually matter if they lose more than they win.

I know the owner has put resources in, so I feel loathe to criticise, but it's getting harmful now. 

Isn't that seven more locals than North Wales Crusaders fielded? Maybe RFL funding should encourage clubs to take players from their own locality rather than shipping them in.

21 minutes ago, PhilCarrington said:

Isn't that seven more locals than North Wales Crusaders fielded? Maybe RFL funding should encourage clubs to take players from their own locality rather than shipping them in.

What distance do you require so that you are happy with our team.

11 hours ago, PhilCarrington said:

What funding is that then? If local players are good enough they'll get in the side. And relatively speaking North Wales have a few 'local' players in their team bearing in mind their catchment area likely extends into England and doesn't just stop at the Welsh border 

On 29/03/2022 at 21:42, PhilCarrington said:

RFL funding?  The funding that has been cut bu over 60% - that funding. How does that encourage ANY League 1 team to develop anyone - but yes,we do have a Foundation and two Wheelchair teams in the national leagues (one in Super League and one in the Championship) and are trying hard to encourage local players with North Wales Origin....and we do have, and have had Welsh players in our squad since our inception.

1 hour ago, PhilCarrington said:

Wales.

Archived