Fri 25 Mar: CC6: Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils KO 19:35 (Premier)

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/03/22 at 20:00

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Whats the score?

Leythers verge of heart attack v Wire calming down a bit.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salford WAY off the pace and forcing their hand stupidly.

Having said that, the City Reds getting no joy whatsoever from the officials. Knock-on for all money by MARSHALL for the first Cherry and White try.

The Leuluai tackle looked like a hip drop to me. Surely that's got to be a send-off? Poor Greenwood limping off with a busted left leg. How was the Kiwi not punished for that?

Disappointing experience this game.

If it is any consolation to the Leigh fans, I'd have liked the opportunity to watch their cup tie too. One of the more interesting match-ups in this round.

But that's no excuse for an attack of the screaming fantods about Wigan v Salford.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

That dragging into touch call against Marshall looked unfair. I don't think momentum ever stopped and they bundled the attacker out.

Brodie Croft looks reasonable with his holding up, straightening and timing, but Salford just never in this.

Dispiriting occasion.

6 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

That dragging into touch call against Marshall looked unfair. I don't think momentum ever stopped and they bundled the attacker out.

I think Williams may have got his body to ground a foot or so before the line, but it wasn't clear in the replay. A tricky call, but when one side's 20-nil up, maybe benefit of the doubt* to the attacker.

*yes, I know this will enrage those who insist that the referees should be 100% accurate, just like they themselves are every single time, all the time, forever. But they overwhelmingly turn out to be raving nutters, for some reason.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

And it finishes 20:0. A laboured win for Wigan and a frustratingly disjointed performance for Salford. We will see better matches before Monday is out.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

And it finishes 20:0. A laboured win for Wigan and a frustratingly disjointed performance for Salford. We will see better matches before Monday is out.

Listened on Radio Five Sports Extra and that was the strong impression I got. 

Best entertainment of the night was on here. Ok, I misspelt one word earlier on but my meaning was clear...and I fear, accurate, given the er..er...quality(?) of one or two posts about it the officials and their decisions.

Really happy with that from a Wigan perspective. It was much more like a traditional Wigan knock out game performance than the ones we saw under Lam. Salford did a great job of marking Field out the game but we found enough points in other areas. 

On the Leuluai tackle, it’s one of those things. He’ll get banned and rightfully so. It’s pretty much identical to Albert Vete’s on opening weekend on Thornley. He got 2 games and Thornley is still out injured now. It can’t be anything but a 2 game ban now based on that. 

Didn't see the match but reading the comments its seems like a match killed off at 20 -25 mins. For no apparent, obvious reason. 

Some ideological purity might have been maintained here but at what cost to say....  The Game. 

Again I missed the match but it all feels familiar. 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

6 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Greenwood out for at least 2 months. Thanks Leuluai. You’ll probably just get a couple of matches. And you weren’t even sin binned!

They're the breaks of Rugby League unfortunately. Albert Vete did Iain Thornley in R1 with a pretty much identical challenge and got 2 games. That was in early Feb and Thornley will be back in early-mid April. 

Vete got 2 games and Leuluai will now have to get the same. 

1 hour ago, binosh said:

Dont think the Aussies, Kiwi’s, Tongan’s & Samoans will be too worried about England in the World Cup.

Agreed. I can see England frantically scraping the NRL for eligible players the closer the competition gets. The level in Super League is just too far behind, unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

This is why we shouldnt allow the players and coaches to decide whether foul play should be punished. 

Id like to see Mr Ganson appear in front of the press and then he can tell the players/coaches/fans what is happening. Id like him to explain the six again rule to a thicko like me, and id love him to say “from now on the ball has got to be played correctly with the foot like in the NRL. Incorrect PTB, penalty to the opposition. If he doesn’t appear at the press conference they can stick a tub of lard on his chair. 

1 hour ago, WN83 said:

They're the breaks of Rugby League unfortunately. Albert Vete did Iain Thornley in R1 with a pretty much identical challenge and got 2 games. That was in early Feb and Thornley will be back in early-mid April. 

Vete got 2 games and Leuluai will now have to get the same. 

I just think it will lead to the best flair players missing games. 

I think the RFL should have held their nerve. The players were slowly learning.

Today's game wasn't competitive anyway so sending Leuluai off wouldn't have affected the game negatively. 

Being saying for a while now the ptb in England is a disgrace.

Our game is going backwards and has become a bit of a borefest.

To top it all off even when the officials are poor if you say so you get piled on.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

6 minutes ago, jacksy said:

To top it all off even when the officials are poor if you say so you get piled on.

Really? Pretty much everybody is going full competitive drama queen over how angry they can act when a decision goes against their club (rightfully or not).

Saying that the officials are competent is the outlying opinion and will generate a lot more rage (real or fake).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Really? Pretty much everybody is going full competitive drama queen over how angry they can act when a decision goes against their club (rightfully or not).

Saying that the officials are competent is the outlying opinion and will generate a lot more rage (real or fake).

Not talking about decisions against my club.

I'm talking about the game in general.

You can check my posts if you wish. I rarely complain about decisions against Hull.

You disagree,fine with me.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

In a general sense, there's a pattern here over the years.  Happened in soccer, too. There's a broad consensus that something has to be done to tighten up on something or other: (soccer: offside, handball,)  foul play, contact with head, ptb, and more.

Refs tighten up, clamp down, etc etc. Then, after a few games, clubs complain and refs wind back, and nothing material changes.

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

But there are certain people who throw an absolute wobbler when Wigan are involved, and it says far more about them than it does about the club.

Just as there are certain people who throw absolute wobblers when Wigan are criticised...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

In a general sense, there's a pattern here over the years.  Happened in soccer, too. There's a broad consensus that something has to be done to tighten up on something or other: (soccer: offside, handball,)  foul play, contact with head, ptb, and more.

Refs tighten up, clamp down, etc etc. Then, after a few games, clubs complain and refs wind back, and nothing material changes.

The only thing they've really rolled back on in soccer is (some of) the over zealous use of VAR.

Things like ridiculous handball (as an example) is still there and enforced - but players have adapted.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, dkw said:

On report, Salford lose a player but all hicks does is put on report. That's just pathetic.

If only this could have been predicted.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived