You're not allowed to be nice to people these days (a Rant Thread spin-off)

So today I arrive at work and the manager of the company I'm currently working a contract for asks if she can speak to me. She says that some of the girls that work there feel intimidated by me and say I am constantly hanging around them. One has said I have been inappropriate towards her. I say I don't understand and ask what she is referring to. The manager says a couple of days ago I said to this girl that it was nice to see her because I hadn't seen her for a couple of weeks. I say, yeah I said that, I was being friendly. Apparently the girl didn't like it and I shouldn't have said it. I say that is bloody ridiculous and I was just being nice and the manager says she would appreciate it if I don't speak to any of the women at the site. I say fine, I'll just be a miserable, antisocial pr**k and not talk to anyone. 

What the hell have we come to in modern society when you aren't even allowed to just be nice to someone by saying, "i haven't seen you in a couple of weeks, nice to see you again"?! Basically I get treated like a rapist just because I am nice to someone. Its not even like the comment I made was sexual or flirty, I literally just said it was nice to see someone. What makes it more ridiculous is I've been working this contract for a year and talking to everyone there that whole time, talking to this same girl almost every day throughout that time with her being just as friendly back to me but suddenly it's not okay?? 

I think the most ridiculous thing was when the manager said people say I'm always hanging round them. Maybe they should think they are actually getting in my way when I am trying to do my job. It isn't a big site, people are gonna run into each other and when I'm just trying to do my job and they're sat in the way that's not my ###### fault is it?! What I think this is referring to is when I was joking round with the same girl that complained cos she was sat in my way when I was trying to work and I kept making her move around the room I was working in but she was laughing, she seemed to find it funny but no apparently not, apparently she was unhappy with it and didn't find it funny. 

I'm not a sodding mind reader. Someone laughs at my joke and my behaviour I presume they like it. When someone thanks me for a compliment I presume they like it. But no, apparently that's not the case in the modern day, apparently that means you're a sex abuser. So from now on I am just gonna be a miserable and incredibly antisocial ###### and just not talk to anyone. Its not gonna be easy because I was brought up to be a friendly, polite, complimentary person but apparently that's evil these days and you have to be a knob. 

Anyone else come across this attitude before? 

Being quiet these days is aloof, ignorant etc. Being friendly is creepy, weird etc. Just cannot win no matter what you do. Look after no 1 (yourself) I say.

we were on an xmas do a couple of years ago  when some of the scaffolders went to the smoking area outside at a city centre pub - one of the lads put his hand on a girls shoulder ( only because she had her back turned to him) to ask "have you got a light love?" she started screaming "your not allowed to touch me" and to cut a long story short the bouncers were involved and he then spent the rest of the night been questioned by the police for a possible assault - make of that what you will?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

we were on an xmas do a couple of years ago  when some of the scaffolders went to the smoking area outside at a city centre pub - one of the lads put his hand on a girls shoulder ( only because she had her back turned to him) to ask "have you got a light love?" she started screaming "your not allowed to touch me" and to cut a long story short the bouncers were involved and he then spent the rest of the night been questioned by the police for a possible assault - make of that what you will?

Yep, that's sounds like the kind of thing I'm talking about! 

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of those arguments where because we find we have to careful we start being annoyed. It is easy when you're not female because you'll never realise what women put up with, have always put up with and will continue to suffer if nothing changes. Any victim of prejudice and bias is well aware of what's going on and may indeed become understandably too defensive.

But getting upset because you're misunderstood is hardly in the same ball park to be honest.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived