Salvage Hunters..

34 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Now you are showing your ignorance of rugby league outside the M62 corridor (and Australian geography)

Elite level RL in Australia was organised in State Competitions during the part time era because of among other things distances. Brisbane to Sydney for example is about 1000kms (what’s that, similar to the distance between Wigan pier and the kremlin).

Let’s remember Great Britain regularly got thrashed by Australian teams consisting of players playing in what you call regional leagues (Lewis, Meninga, Miles……)

You are also showing your ignorance of RFL history in UK.

the Lancashire league, and it’s Yorkshire equivalent) we’re not based on separate games. They were tables based on games in the regular rugby league competition played between Lancashire teams ( and for the purposes of completeness, games between Lancashire and Cumberland teams were included in the Lancashire league table). A nice way of increasing the size of an honours board….count the same games twice!

The BRL had separate reserve and junior competition so if you want to include those bring it on.

Also rugby league didn’t start in Australia until 1908, 13 years after the breakaway in the north of England.

The point of all this- if you want to make some subjective assessment of world most successful team it’s helpful to specify the criteria used for most successful (and for that matter, world)

Should probably bring back that Lancashire Yorkshire league double counting.  Would give Yorkshire clubs a chance of winning something!

Just now, Bearman said:

I stand corrected.

I've never been to their 'new' ground but had a few enjoyable visits to their old one. They're a good club whatever they're called.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 25/03/2022 at 20:15, Old Frightful said:

Watching an episode tonight and they've invited a special guest with them in their tour for antiques, Johnny Vegas.

Their first visit takes them to the town of Wigan which, as the narrator explains, "is the home of the World's most successful Rugby League team".

I wonder if Johnny was spitting feathers?

It wasn’t as bad as drew Pritchard saying Jonny was ‘coming home’ to Wigan, I thought he was going to get out of the van and sort him out…

f3gms4.jpg

On 26/03/2022 at 07:09, roughyed8 said:

The Wigan teams of the 80s/90s were a full time team playing against part-timers, they spent money on overseas players and cherry picking the best British players like it was going out of fashion. That policy while getting them lots of trophies ultimately resulted in them almost going bust and selling off Central Park only to end up as arguably second class tennants at the JJB stadium.

That is so wrong, it has become almost an RL urban myth.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 26/03/2022 at 18:32, Old Frightful said:

Although it pains me to disagree, there was an article somehow related to RL on Radio 1 years ago, nothing to do with any particular team, and the name they plucked out of the air was Hull Kingston Rovers.

I'm still recovering..

Maybe stick to slagging them with your hilarious (cough) Revers which you type on every topic regarding them.l lived in the leafy confines of East Hull for a while  and never heard them called Revers.lt as a few years ago so things might have changed.

I can speak Esperanto like a native.

4 hours ago, Clinton Baptiste said:

Maybe stick to slagging them with your hilarious (cough) Revers which you type on every topic regarding them.l lived in the leafy confines of East Hull for a while  and never heard them called Revers.lt as a few years ago so things might have changed.

Apologies but you seem to have misinterpreted my intentions, and it's "Rervers" by the way, if we're going to be accurate about it.

It's not a way of slagging them off, it's merely a swipe at the Hull accent, of which I'm certain I possess in no small way.

Much like I sometimes call my team "Ullefsee" or the city's football team "Bluddy Targers" and type stuff like "arf tarm" and "full tarm" to indicate the end of the forty minute periods in our great game.

Why not take a look at the thread I started about Hull KR completing the purchase of their ground? Seeing as you insist i type "Rervers" on every topic regarding them, surely you'll find the word in there?

Anyway, if it upsets you that much I'm happy to stop doing it, no offence intended. It's just a RL forum after all and I try and squeeze in a bit of humour now and then although perhaps I clearly fall short in the eyes of some.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

42 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

On current form,considerably more than George Williams.

Good point, well made.

13 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Apologies but you seem to have misinterpreted my intentions, and it's "Rervers" by the way, if we're going to be accurate about it.

It's not a way of slagging them off, it's merely a swipe at the Hull accent, of which I'm certain I possess in no small way.

Much like I sometimes call my team "Ullefsee" or the city's football team "Bluddy Targers" and type stuff like "arf tarm" and "full tarm" to indicate the end of the forty minute periods in our great game.

Why not take a look at the thread I started about Hull KR completing the purchase of their ground? Seeing as you insist i type "Rervers" on every topic regarding them, surely you'll find the word in there?

Anyway, if it upsets you that much I'm happy to stop doing it, no offence intended. It's just a RL forum after all and I try and squeeze in a bit of humour now and then although perhaps I clearly fall short in the eyes of some.

Mamamere .

6 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Looking at recent form, a damn sight more than Widdop and Williams.

Hope that helps.

I think your mate did this one a few days ago. Hard to disagree.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Sorry, I didn’t actually realise I had any mates so it’s difficult to follow them.

Having only met once, we could hardly be described as mates but I won't be following you in future.

In fact, I'll leave the pub for the game about ten minutes before you and Padge.

9 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Having only met once, we could hardly be described as mates but I won't be following you in future.

In fact, I'll leave the pub for the game about ten minutes before you and Padge.

As a guy with well documented punctuality problems that sounds like an excellent strategy for the future.

Archived