Roughyeds v Keighley

shrewsbury roughyed

Lots of things organised by the club pre and post match, to their credit. But what about the meat in the sandwich? Keighley, despite a poor series of pre-season results, look formidable at this level on paper. We’ll have to be on top form to win, I would think. Can’t wait to get there. Predictions? Oldham by two- or we get hammered. That’s the emotional state I’m in right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, clifford said:

A side note no digital programme available as yet.

It's a digital "Match Update" now.  A 3 page stripped-back to the bare bones affair.  

I'm not sure what it's trying to be to be honest.  It's like two, maybe three website articles presented as a PDF.  I've been nowhere near it.

It's embedded on the website here:

https://roughyeds.co.uk/matchday-programme

Edited by Dave Naylor
  • Like 1

Well I'll start , that was awful went with hope and expectation sadly that left after 15 mins , we where so soft through the middle all the forwards sold themselves very short with the exception of Andrade who really ran at them and made meters , our defence in our middles was lazy and slow and with the ball we lacked anything inventive, thought the ref was poor but no influence on the result , only the first game of the season but huge improvement is needed 

• Sad 1

Middle forwards far too soft with very slow line speed in defence. Only Andrade made any impact through the middle. I thought our attack had some shape and threat in the 2nd half with our left side 2nd row running some good lines but Murrell defended superbly.

I expect we’ll post some big scores against WWR, Skolars and Cornwall, have competitive games with Rochdale, Midlands, Hunslet but won’t be able to compete with Swinton, Doncaster 

• Like 1

Absolutely shocking performance again.  Andrade played well and Ridyard tried hard but the rest were awful. Keighley were excellent and battered us from kick off until the hooter. Thought their two back rowers Levy and Santi were class as were their halves and Roebuck out wide. Think they'll go well this year.

As said above our pack was dreadful. We look like slow and weak in the middle and then our line speed was so poor we essentially didn't move when they played the ball and just waited for them to charge down the pitch.

Need major changes in the pack going forward and I'd be bringing Pye, Cameron and Arnold in as soon as possible. Brierley's injury looked terrible and possibly season ending and was a shocking end to a terrible day.

• Like 2

Not good. Haven't been a season ticket holder for two years,hope I've not made a mistake and signed up to a season of frustration. That said it is only the first game . It seemed to be a half decent crowd today. They won't come back unless we start winning. I saw a fair few leaving early. Hope we improve,fingers crossed 🤞.

• Like 2

Extremely disappointed with the whole performance apart from Andrade he ran hard and took our game to Keighley. 

We may have beaten Keighley in a friendly but when it mattered we were woeful.

We have no x factor players to call upon or someone who lift the team. We will win a few games but unless something extraordinary happens I think this year will be a transition year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

clifford what makes you think this might be a transition year, we have a poor team and this is as good as it is going to get we cant compete even at this level.

the club as no money so cant  even buy one decent player oldham are just there to make the numbers up sad but true.

• Like 2

Keighley we’re very very good indeed. Bossed everything. Had plans. Had speed. Had precision. Had execution. We have them a 10 minute period on the first half and maybe 15 in the second when we held on. We tried hard and there were some good efforts in goal line defence, but stupid penalties (again), a beaten pack, no joining up between forwards and backs and very slow if any transition from defence to attack. It is our first competitive game as a new squad and we should get better. But without a could of agile forwards who can beak the line and a lot more discipline and attacking plans we’ll be way below the Keighleys, Swinton and dare I say it Rochdales. Lots to work on, as they say. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

It seemed to me that we just couldn't build up momentum. There was a period, early on, when we were applying pressure and the ref penalised us for I know not what, then we knocked on or were penalised for indiscretions. Ball control and discipline is what we can control, odd ref decisions we can't. 

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 2

I was only able to watch the first half due to other commitments, however the amount of penalties and six-agains we gave away absolutely killed us. Match that with Keighley’s speed and attacking intensity and we were on the back foot from the start.

2 hours ago, OL14.yeds said:

I was only able to watch the first half due to other commitments, however the amount of penalties and six-agains we gave away absolutely killed us. Match that with Keighley’s speed and attacking intensity and we were on the back foot from the start.

I was only able to watch the first half because I had my hands in front of my eyes in the second- as did Stu Littler I suspect.