England's Centres

Farnworth is growing into his position. He is currently playing better than Gildart. 

One area where England has consistently been beaten by Australia over the last 30 years is speed. Farnworth is in the top few for speed in the NRL and has great size with lovely footwork.

England needs Felix.  

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, RL Sonja said:

Farnworth is growing into his position. He is currently playing better than Gildart. 

One area where England has consistently been beaten by Australia over the last 30 years is speed. Farnworth is in the top few for speed in the NRL and has great size with lovely footwork.

England needs Felix.  

He certainly looks like he will play himself into the first pick centre spot by the end of the season if he can stay healthy.

I’ve said before, I favour an attacking team that will test the best of defences.

If Farnworth is in one centre then who do we have to contest a place in the other.

• Percival
  • Welsby
  • Newman
  • Wardle
  • Lyne
  • King
  • Gildart
  • Hardaker
  • Connor
  • Griffin
  • Sarginson

The Kangaroos have no qualms about shuffling backs around, if they are good enough, regardless of where they play for their clubs.

At Centre, Welsby could quite easily make himself Australia's most hated sportsman if he inflicts on them both his Rugby talent and all his sly, snidey provocation. Could be a lot of fun. :kolobok_biggrin: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

From those, I feel it'll be between Percival, Newman, Gildart and Connor for the right centre berth.

Wardle strikes me as a left centre. He's in with a real chance of making the squad if he gets into a groove this season.

Lyne is a solid club player who does well. I don't think his game transfers up.

King is a real threat with running and in the air. Probably behind too many and will play for IE.

Hardaker COULD make the squad as a utility. I think his career is fading, and I'd have utilities like Connor and Welsby ahead of him.

Griffin is a strong runner and a threat. I don't know that he's quite on the radar...

Sarginson: I like his attitude, but nowhere near.

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The Kangaroos have no qualms about shuffling backs around, if they are good enough, regardless of where they play for their clubs.

At Centre, Welsby could quite easily make himself Australia's most hated sportsman if he inflicts on them both his Rugby talent and all his sly, snidey provocation. Could be a lot of fun. :kolobok_biggrin: 

I think there's a real argument for Welsby at fullback and shifting Tomkins to 6.

4 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

From those, I feel it'll be between Percival, Newman, Gildart and Connor for the right centre berth.

Wardle strikes me as a left centre. He's in with a real chance of making the squad if he gets into a groove this season.

Lyne is a solid club player who does well. I don't think his game transfers up.

King is a real threat with running and in the air. Probably behind too many and will play for IE.

Hardaker COULD make the squad as a utility. I think his career is fading, and I'd have utilities like Connor and Welsby ahead of him.

Griffin is a strong runner and a threat. I don't know that he's quite on the radar...

Sarginson: I like his attitude, but nowhere near.

Fair assessments

If there was a list of best NRL centres, where would Farnworth be? They have 32 regular starting centres after all, so just being able to hold down a place doesn’t automatically make him the best choice we have: would he be in line for SoO if available? 

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

If there was a list of best NRL centres, where would Farnworth be? They have 32 regular starting centres after all, so just being able to hold down a place doesn’t automatically make him the best choice we have: would he be in line for SoO if available? 

There maybe be 32 regular starting centres but it’s highly probable that the Kangeroos will pick 2 fullbacks to play in the centre’s.

58 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I don't think that he is just 'holding down a place'. Voted best back at Broncos last season. Good enough to have 5 NRL clubs chasing his signature as he is off contract at the end of the year. Queensland were after him at age group level as a youngster before they found out he was English.

2 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

If you look at Queensland’s backline last year then Herbie would have been bang in the mix for a position , and be looking at an even stronger candidate now . He has the physique and attributes to play anyway across the backline I think , which makes him even more valuable for England . Although he should be nailed on for centre if he carries on like this . Not only is he good enough , his attitude and effort are second to none . He’s always looking to get involved and giving everything , exemplified by his try in the dying embers at the weekend when the game was gone . 

41 minutes ago, DavidM said:

If you look at Queensland’s backline last year then Herbie would have been bang in the mix for a position , and be looking at an even stronger candidate now . He has the physique and attributes to play anyway across the backline I think , which makes him even more valuable for England . Although he should be nailed on for centre if he carries on like this . Not only is he good enough , his attitude and effort are second to none . He’s always looking to get involved and giving everything , exemplified by his try in the dying embers at the weekend when the game was gone . 

I agree with all this but just wanted to pick up on what you said about his attitude and effort. I have great respect for the way he sacrificed and worked hard to make his NRL dream work. He could have easily chose the easy road of signing for Wigan, or practically anyone else, but he wanted to be the best that he could be and actively went out to Australia to trial and make his NRL dream work. That takes a special kind of dedication.

13 hours ago, OMEGA said:

I’ve said before, I favour an attacking team that will test the best of defences.

If Farnworth is in one centre then who do we have to contest a place in the other.

• Percival
  • Welsby
  • Newman
  • Wardle
  • Lyne
  • King
  • Gildart
  • Hardaker
  • Connor
  • Griffin
  • Sarginson

Surely Blake Austin would be picked before Farnworth

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

There maybe be 32 regular starting centres but it’s highly probable that the Kangeroos will pick 2 fullbacks to play in the centre’s.

I assume that is on the basis that they have so much talent at 1, and that there are no truly great centres out there. From what I have seen, he is a perfectly serviceable centre, and better than the average, and would not let England down. I would not be outraged if Wane picked Percival and Newman ahead of him, as I don’t see daylight between him and them. 

34 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I assume that is on the basis that they have so much talent at 1, and that there are no truly great centres out there. From what I have seen, he is a perfectly serviceable centre, and better than the average, and would not let England down. I would not be outraged if Wane picked Percival and Newman ahead of him, as I don’t see daylight between him and them. 

Newman has to stay fit,something he’s struggled to do & I can’t see Percival causing Aust/NZ or Tonga too many problems to be honest but I suppose he’d be the “safe” option but taking the safe option isn’t going to win a World Cup.

3 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

How can you leave any of Trbojevic, Mitchell, Tedesco, Papenhuyzen out of the Australian side? They could all be picked at full back, wing and centre and be the best available. 

We've got Sam Tomkins (bandaged up like Brian Bevan) and Welsby before you get to Ratchford and Evalds 😕 

Archived