England's Centres

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

to compare to the eng players we are touting - thats what a forum is about- is that ok?

So why do you keep bringing them up then 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Yes in that tight top he was definitely carrying a bit of pud . He had some strong contributions today , but frustratingly it’s not consistent 

He lacks the conditioning to play at a high level for the full 80 especially in a high intensity game,if he’s in the centres come World Cup time I’d be directing plenty of traffic his way,he has mistakes in him both defensively and disciplinary.

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

i would like to ask the likes of davo5 who seem to add nothing useful to threads apart silly emojis if they saw the titans v tigers game yesterday? and if they realise what second rate rubbish england centre oliver gildart looks like when playing at this standard?

And yet at the start of the season some on here were saying he was worth an England place - around the day he stepped onto an NRL pitch.... coincidence?

19 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the thread is about potential Eng centres for the WC - not latrell - turbo - valentine - best - gagai etc etc etc 

10 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Make your mind up 

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

He lacks the conditioning to play at a high level for the full 80 especially in a high intensity game,if he’s in the centres come World Cup time I’d be directing plenty of traffic his way,he has mistakes in him both defensively and disciplinary.

I think he may have this idea that he can cut corners because he’s this great natural talent and that’s enough . But in the NRL nowadays it’s not . It may be just a few percent but it tells .The most gifted players also tend to work the hardest 

i doubt if bradman best or stephen crichton get selected in the centres for australia (which they wont unless its round matches on a rotation basis) they will be in the slightest bit bothered about facing newman - the comparison is ridiculous - both have proved above their worth in first grade nrl - the other is living off glimpses of a "promising" start 

There we have it on time as usual - "both have proved above their worth in first grade nrl" 

Bateman proved to be the best 2nd rower in the NRL.... yet is poor in SL - just because your amazing in the NRL doesn't mean your a world beater or a top player in SL - Horses for courses.

We should put Bateman in the England squad - not to play in the group games as he isn't in our top SL players but to play if we face Australia- they would be terrified of him... leaving our SL players time to nip in behind and score🤣🤣

21 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

There we have it on time as usual - "both have proved above their worth in first grade nrl" 

Bateman proved to be the best 2nd rower in the NRL.... yet is poor in SL - just because your amazing in the NRL doesn't mean your a world beater or a top player in SL - Horses for courses.

We should put Bateman in the England squad - not to play in the group games as he isn't in our top SL players but to play if we face Australia- they would be terrified of him... leaving our SL players time to nip in behind and score🤣🤣

bateman has lost form and most of all his focus and desire since his return - its that simple

22 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

bateman has lost form and most of all his focus and desire since his return - its that simple

Maybe thats what's happened to Gildart? - or does it only work one way? - the NRL way?

Latrell  Mitchell will be probably be boarding a quantas airlines jet home  with his wc winners medal without even having heard of newman in the autumn 

harsh but a fact 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I think you need to invest in a dictionary. 

why?

I'm not really a fan of the style of argument where someone says 'fact' after stating their opinion but I can let it slide.

But I feel I have to draw the line at someone saying 'fact' about something that is going to happen in the future.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm not really a fan of the style of argument where someone says 'fact' after stating their opinion but I can let it slide.

But I feel I have to draw the line at someone saying 'fact' about something that is going to happen in the future.

future fact?

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

future fact?

Unless you have three clairvoyant girls in a shallow swimming pool in your house predicting the future using coloured balls... I will have to say no.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 01/04/2022 at 17:09, Chrispmartha said:

No he hasn’t, he was a squad player in 2019 (your use of him playing since 2017 is utterly disingenuous) which was his real first year Watkins and Hurrell were first choice, then in 2020 when got the number 3 shirt he suffered a double fracture of his leg.

Youve got a player in Jonny Lomax who suffered injuries when first starting out so im not sure why you’re so dismissive of Newman, well actually i am sure its because he plays for Leeds.

hes only just turned 22 hes got plenty of time.

I don't recall me (or pretty much anyone else at the time) calling for Lomax to be a 1st choice at international level when he was the same age as Newman and suffering his bad injuries, unlike many on here who are calling for exactly that for Newman.

Regardless of Newman's 'potential' he hasn't proved anything at club level yet and simply can't keep himself fit enough to string a decent set of performances together.

That may change in the future, he may change his playing style, training methods, physique etc. like Lomax did and that would be great for England. But at the moment you, like so many others on here are blinded by all the hype about Newman, hype he's so far failed to live up to. So unless he manages to string together a couple of months of exceptional performances before the WC then he's not deserving of a squad place let alone a starting centre spot.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 02/04/2022 at 00:57, Dunbar said:

I saw Newman outplay Stephen Crichton and Bradman Best as a junior and nothing I have seen so far would convince me that he is not a better player than these two and he will prove it given a run of luck with injuries.

On 02/04/2022 at 06:03, Dunbar said:

On 02/04/2022 at 06:10, graveyard johnny said:

future fact?

Just fact.

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Just fact.

Is the phrase "nothing I have seen so far would convince me that he is not a better player" an indication that I was expressing an opinion rather than stating my view as a fact?

2 hours ago, Faithful1865 said:

All conjecture on here, because Wane will choose his pets (as usual). Bateman will probably get 1 centre spot and he'll come up with some other inexplicable choice for the other side.

Who are his pets & how are they being picked “as usual” given he’s only had 2 games in 3 yrs and both of those he was missing several players including the NRL contingent.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Is the phrase "nothing I have seen so far would convince me that he is not a better player" an indication that I was expressing an opinion rather than stating my view as a fact?

Certainly the use of the personal pronoun `I` makes it clear that that is your opinion, and obviously a very strongly held one, however by finishing that statement with the blunt assertion " and he will prove it " suggests that you believe it to be really more a statement of fact, in fact one might say a future fact.😉

10 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Certainly the use of the personal pronoun `I` makes it clear that that is your opinion, and obviously a very strongly held one, however by finishing that statement with the blunt assertion " and he will prove it " suggests that you believe it to be really more a statement of fact, in fact one might say a future fact.😉

Think you're clutching a bit with that one.  Even using the word prove suggests that I am not just stating he is better but that I would require him to back up my belief with evidence to demonstrate my assertion that he will be a better centre than Best or Crichton.  About as far from an assertion of 'fact' as you can get.

12 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Many of us on here have mentioned lots of centre options for the WC but, other than Farnworth, which other centres are currently playing well?

Who would the centres be picked on current form?

erm? erm? erm? good question

20 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Many of us on here have mentioned lots of centre options for the WC but, other than Farnworth, which other centres are currently playing well?

Who would the centres be picked on current form?

While they are both most effective on the left, I think Farnworth and Percival are the two form English centres.  I would switch Farnworth to the right as one of Percival's strengths are his running lines which are very effective on the left while Farnworth is more about good footwork and would switch more readily to the other side.

Archived